Infants in CCR

Old Mar 20, 14, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Infants in CCR

Hubby and I are flying First class to BGI in August. We will be buying a ticket for our granddaughter who will be 6-8 weeks old when we travel.

Are there any restrictions on taking infants into First lounge at Gatwick and more importantly CCR @ T5 ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 20, 14, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
Infants in CCR

Not if they have a ticket, or u can guest them
Old Mar 20, 14, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
No issues whatsoever.
Old Mar 20, 14, 2:17 pm

Not as far as I know. We took our son aged 5 months in with us in December when we flew LHR to JNB.

I'd suggest being aware of those around you and look for a quiet corner if you can. I'd also suggest booking a cabana as though they are underwhelming, they are handy for putting down a changing mat, changing clothes and sterilising bottles if you are using one of the water in a bag type arrangements.

Also handy if baby kicks off. Ours was very well behaved on the whole though. Thank goodness.

FYI, Boots sell Aptamil, but do not sell Hipp. We ordered it in but they lost it - we'd already given him aptamil the week before though and knew he'd be okay with it.

Once onboard, I found the BA First cabin crew very helpful and very proactive when it came to assisting us with the baby - so much so I put in a well done, as I was really impressed.
Old Mar 20, 14, 2:23 pm

Our first born was 14 weeks during his first CCR visit. No issues what so ever. Our second was 13 weeks during his first visit, same experience.

We've been lucky though as both have been comfortable infants (no stomach issues, eating well, sleeping well and just generally A grade babies )
Old Mar 20, 14, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post

We've been lucky though as both have been comfortable infants (no stomach issues, eating well, sleeping well and just generally A grade babies )
That's great! It's a shame that some adult behaviour in the lounges is not similarly A grade! Ho hum.
Old Mar 20, 14, 4:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There's also a baby changing room in CCR (between the disabled toilets and the walk through to the main toilet block). This is very upscale by the standards of any I've seen anywhere, and you don't need to book it. It's about half the size of a cabana, and given there's no shower it's quite spacious. with a table and comfortable set of seats.
Old Mar 21, 14, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Very helpful information especially booking a cabana. Our stopover is a fairly long one, about 10 hours, so a little private oasis will be very useful.
Old Mar 21, 14, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
These threads always end up being a competition on who can share how great their kids were in CCR, First etc
Old Mar 21, 14, 3:35 am

Oh really? I have no idea what you mean... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...y-f-irsts.html

OP, the linked report may give you some pointers and info on BA F infant travel.
Old Mar 21, 14, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, TK Gold, KL Gold, EK Silver
Originally Posted by judyush View Post
Thanks everyone. Very helpful information especially booking a cabana. Our stopover is a fairly long one, about 10 hours, so a little private oasis will be very useful.
Cabana helps - but for a layover as long as that, I'd definitely book a (day?) room at the Sofitel with a kid that small. CCR is nice enough for a couple hours but not for 10.

And yes dc2447 - my kid (now 2yo) has always been very well behaved in the CCR . Have only been there once with her without a cabana but only for about an hr or so - no issue. Most people (myself included) will be very understanding even if your child is crying or being unruly, as long as you take your responsibility and not just ignore the child. Ignorant parents are the worst fellow passengers I could experience. Their children are just being children.
Old Mar 21, 14, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Petrus
I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Hope our trip goes as smooth as yours seemed to. Thank you.
Old Mar 23, 14, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by dc2447 View Post
These threads always end up being a competition on who can share how great their kids were in CCR, First etc
Or an opportunity for people to provide some spiteful ill-informed drivel.

Good job.
Old Mar 23, 14, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Goagain View Post

And yes dc2447 - my kid (now 2yo) has always been very well behaved in the CCR . Have only been there once with her without a cabana but only for about an hr or so - no issue. Most people (myself included) will be very understanding even if your child is crying or being unruly, as long as you take your responsibility and not just ignore the child. Ignorant parents are the worst fellow passengers I could experience. Their children are just being children.
+1, if people only took care of their behavior and their kids. No one would notice anything. The selfish parents give kids a bad reputation.
Old Mar 23, 14, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by DWB1873 View Post

FYI, Boots sell Aptamil, but do not sell Hipp. We ordered it in but they lost it - we'd already given him aptamil the week before though and knew he'd be okay with it.
Would you need to buy this airside? Isn't baby milk exempt from the 100m rule?

I remember taking a few bottles through in a cooller bag. Airport security took them away to check. Then they put them back in the cooler bag with the ice packs which could have been filled with anything.

Search this Thread