Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does WT with Silver/Emerald trump WT+ passenger non status?

Old Mar 19, 14, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi all

I know there's no hard and fast rule on this but based on your experience does a WT passenger with Silver/Gold status trump a WT+ passenger with no status when deciding on OpUps to CW?

Just curious as I'll hit Silver next month and I've got a fair amount of TATL travel (personal) in WT coming up.

Thanks!

Bobbie2013
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Ryanair Scratchcard
In the rare event that you are upgraded for operational reasons, there is a 99.9999% chance it will be to WT+, and someone from WT+ will be moved to CW to make space for you.

"Double" opups (WT to CW or WT+ to F) are extremely rare.
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

These days with the discretionary upgrade tool in operation, it's anyones guess who gets upgraded. There are lots of factors including recent OpUps, previous exposure to higher cabin, customer relations input. However, the chance of a double upgrade is nearly nil.
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks csutter and andset1191! Additional question - I'll hot Silver on an upcoming LHR-BOS flight, have you ever heard of an upgrade to 'Welcome' a member to a new tier? I've been Bronze for 4 years, first time hitting Silver.
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I agree with above posters that the odds are tiny, but they do exist. A couple of years ago I was booked in Y on BA from JFK to LHR. At check-in I was told that they had had to change my seat - to Club! No idea what the logic behind this was of course...
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Ryanair Scratchcard
Originally Posted by Bobbie2013 View Post
Thanks csutter and andset1191! Additional question - I'll hot Silver on an upcoming LHR-BOS flight, have you ever heard of an upgrade to 'Welcome' a member to a new tier? I've been Bronze for 4 years, first time hitting Silver.
Anybody's guess, really. The only thing that would considerably increase your chances of an opup (but nowhere near 100%) is booking WT+. The lower number of seats in the cabin, the anecdotal evidence of lots of overbooking in WT+, plus the rolling forward of WT mean your overall chances are better.

There are people who've never had an opup, and there's me with a 100% opup record when not booked in the highest cabin on the flight. As with everything, your mileage may vary and probably be somewhere between these two extremes.

Either way, congrats on Silver - if you'll be doing a lot of WT travel you'll certainly benefit a lot from it!
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:21 am

Programs: BA GFL / GGL, Mucci Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
These days with the discretionary upgrade tool in operation, it's anyones guess who gets upgraded. There are lots of factors including recent OpUps, previous exposure to higher cabin, customer relations input. However, the chance of a double upgrade is nearly nil.
Correct... even with the support of the DUT, there are no guarantees.. got a nice warm feeling when my BP looked like this recently - but no upgrade forthcoming in the end

Old Mar 19, 14, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks all! I've taken 2 J round trips in the past few months and I have several Y trips and one J trip coming up in the next 3 months, guess I'll just have to wait and see! I did the same BOS trip on the 19.25 departure back in November in CW, really makes a difference, but my personal pockets aren't deep enough to justify it for a relatively short flight
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:27 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
It'll be nice if it happens, but I wouldn't get your hopes up and expect to stay in your WT seat.

My own experience is never having had an upgrade from WT, whether moving through the tiers or not.
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:33 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I had loads of WT-WT+ upgrades LHR-USA as a blue (and a few WT=-CW). Never had anything USA-LHR

Only flown it in WT once since becoming a silver, no opup was forthcoming
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:51 am

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
LHR-BOS and vv is a route I fly every 3-4 weeks

LHR-BOS - I've had a 100% OpUp rate since I've started flying BA on this route - generally on the 215 or 239. I've booked in WT, WTP and Club, taken POUGs and UuAs, hasn't made much difference.

BOS-LHR - I tend to get the 214 and with a success rate of 0%, however, on the 202 I'm back at 100% - though I've only taken that 2-3 times over the last 18 months or so
Old Mar 19, 14, 7:53 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by Bobbie2013 View Post
have you ever heard of an upgrade to 'Welcome' a member to a new tier?
No, never heard of anything like that, so don't count on it.

bjorns
Old Mar 19, 14, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by bjorns View Post
No, never heard of anything like that, so don't count on it.

bjorns
I had this once and I will never forget it...BA57 LHR JNB...from WT+ to F...and I qualified to Gold with that flight.

Very nice and unexpected experience
Old Mar 19, 14, 11:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by csutter View Post
There are people who've never had an opup, and there's me with a 100% opup record when not booked in the highest cabin on the flight.
Originally Posted by revan View Post
LHR-BOS and vv is a route I fly every 3-4 weeks

LHR-BOS - I've had a 100% OpUp rate since I've started flying BA on this route
Wow. How many flights are we talking about people? Is it one or two or lots? Difficult to say with csutter as you might almost always book the highest cabin? With revan it sounds like it could be a lot of flights. Are you a prem in disguise or a celeb?
Old Mar 19, 14, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I've never experienced a double op-up (hope BA can disprove this soon ), but I've been op-uped in half of my recent flights. I generally book WTP that is full of status holders, I think op-ops WTP to CW are the most common, though never say never.

Search this Thread