Wiki Posts
Search

2 X 241 vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
Solution

You need to do as follows:

Book yourself with Avios and redeem both 241's against your booking for two of the passenger's travelling with you on all flights (you can redeem both 241's with three people travelling).

You can then book the fourth passenger, who wishes to return at a later date, separately with Avios (there is no need to pair the 3rd and 4th passenger as an Avios+241).

Outcome:
[(Avios+241+241) + (Avios)] which is the same spend as:
[(Avios+241) + (Avios+241)]
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by arir

Book yourself with Avios and redeem both 241's against your booking for two of the passenger's travelling with you on all flights (you can redeem both 241's with three people travelling).

You can then book the fourth passenger, who wishes to return at a later date, separately with Avios (there is no need to pair the 3rd and 4th passenger as an Avios+241).

Outcome:
I dont think you can use the same "paid" ticket twice for a free ticket, so I dont think your suggestion is allowed.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

Outcome:
Avios + 241, Avios + 241 allows the cardholder to use both vouchers and fly three persons with the cardholder you need to pay the avios for two people (one for each voucher). The OP wants one of the three people to fly back on a different date. To use both vouchers the OP would still have to pay the Avios for at least two people. There are a number of threads detailing how a companion on a UK voucher can choose not to fly home with the cardholder. There will be no refund of avios for the segment not flown. See this thread and the links within:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-4-1-help.html
The person that wants to stay longer can book a one way ticket home either with cash or avios.

Originally Posted by Tim_T
I dont think you can use the same "paid" ticket twice for a free ticket, so I dont think your suggestion is allowed.
Correct. You can't use the second voucher without another dollop of avios.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Mar 19, 2014 at 2:55 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

Outcome:
No, it doesn't work that way. Two 241s gives you a 442 not a 341.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:18 pm

What I have suggested can certainly be done. This is not widely used and not well known but definitely an option.

If the BA agent says it can't, just insist that it can, and politely ask that they check with a manager.

I have myself done this quite recently.......
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
What I have suggested can certainly be done. This is not widely used and not well known but definitely an option.

If the BA agent says it can't, just insist that it can, and politely ask that they check with a manager.

You can redeem 2 GUF2's on one booking but your experience would be the first involving 2 AMEX 2-4-1 vouchers used to provide a 3-4-1 (3travelers-4-1avios).
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

This contradicts the T&Cs, so if this happened it was a mistake by the agent who allowed it.

"Only Premium Plus Cardmembers can redeem two Companion Vouchers when booking a return flight for four passengers without incurring the flight price for two persons travelling on that same flight. Companions must travel with the Cardmember on both the outbound and inbound journeys."
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Ok so I have booked it as normal and the other party will have to get a one way flight back seperatley from the group.

To those who tried to help, I thank you. I appreciate your help.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:21 am

I will not argue any further, but I have a current redemption booking for 3 passengers using Avios+241+241.

I would recommend the OP to request what I have suggested and report back as I know it is certainly doable.

FYI - when I requested, the (GGL) agent wasn't familiar with my suggestion but came back and confirmed I was correct and it is possible.

I rest my case.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I have a current redemption booking for 3 passengers using Avios+241+241.
How many times the normal Avios price have you paid in total? One, 1½ or two?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
How many times the normal Avios price have you paid in total? One, 1½ or two?
One lot of Avios (120k LHR-NYC rtn) + two 241's + three lots of taxes.

I hear all the confident arguments that it doesn't work. However I confirm that it does, its just not practiced too often and I agree that the T&C aren't overly clear.

It's a shame that the OP should loose the additional Avios (one-way back for PAX 4) - if it is for example a First trip to NYC - the OP is wasting 60k Avios.....
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Member

2 X 241 vouchers

Well done for making it work and thanks for posting. I had always read the t&cs to say I could not do what you have achieved so I had never even asked! As a family of three taking 241 trips every year + I've let some 241 expire I'm kind of kicking myself now.

I do however have 2 free premium BA Amex linked to my platinum which generates 2 241 each year. I don't believe this is possible now so I can't complain too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.