FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Throne seat - worth an extra £50? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1561046-throne-seat-worth-extra-50-a.html)

gustavmahler Mar 17, 2014 7:59 am

Throne seat - worth an extra £50?

Returning from ORD next week in WTP at the moment, as there were no Avios seats. I just looked at the seat map and the emergency exit seats are available, including the throne seat. I don't have much experience in WTP and it looks as if the seat will be a bit narrower due to the table being in the armrest. Are these seats worth having over the usual ones? I'm hoping to sleep all the way back.

BA038_Passenger Mar 17, 2014 8:12 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler (Post 22537889)
Returning from ORD next week in WTP at the moment, as there were no Avios seats. I just looked at the seat map and the emergency exit seats are available, including the throne seat. I don't have much experience in WTP and it looks as if the seat will be a bit narrower due to the table being in the armrest. Are these seats worth having over the usual ones? I'm hoping to sleep all the way back.

Yes, absolutely, in my opinion.

There is only one downside to the seat in my experience, I used to get cold feet, I guess to the proximity of the door, when I took my shoes off to sleep.

dnajockey Mar 17, 2014 8:16 am

I came home from Brazil on the throne once; I found it very comfortable and slept well.

paulwuk Mar 17, 2014 8:17 am

Another downside, inconsiderate people in 29A/K will stick their stinking feet on the table.

BA6501 Mar 17, 2014 8:21 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler (Post 22537889)

Absolutely worth it. And for all WT+ seats the tray tables are in armrests :)

gustavmahler Mar 17, 2014 8:23 am

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 22538018)
Absolutely worth it. And for all WT+ seats the tray tables are in armrests :)

Oh yeah - I'd forgotten that! Is the seat narrower because of the IFE screen being in the armrest?

gustavmahler Mar 17, 2014 8:25 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 22537986)
Another downside, inconsiderate people in 29A/K will stick their stinking feet on the table.

29A/K are also available - are they just as good, better or worse?

Thanks for the help.

0hnoes Mar 17, 2014 8:27 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler (Post 22538034)

Thanks for the help.

Go for the throne. You have an extra side table to dump all your stuff on. A few tactically placed items there will mean the person behind won't get any ideas about using it as a footrest.

Globaliser Mar 17, 2014 8:27 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler (Post 22538034)

Not as good as the throne. Don't hesitate!

windowontheAside Mar 17, 2014 8:29 am

I love the throne. If you make sure you put some stuff (magazines, sweater etc) on the table next to you early on, you shouldn't have any trouble with people putting their feet on it.

+1 for the advice about feet getting cold though.

29A and K are decent seats - you have excellent legroom, but you're still sat pretty close to someone and not a patch on the throne IMHO.

0hnoes Mar 17, 2014 8:29 am

If you want an idea of what the setup is like this is it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21010037-post2.html

LTN Phobia Mar 17, 2014 8:32 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 22537986)

This was some years ago, but I was sitting in a throne seat and I had to ask a big, sturdy male cabin crew member to ask the inconsiderate person to remove her feet, because she was one of those aggressive, horrible types and I did not want to cause an in-flight incident. My logic was that passengers are less likely to be obnoxious to a cabin crew member than a fellow passenger. He gave her a right finger wagging which I admit to finding very amusing.

paulwuk Mar 17, 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 22538075)
This was some years ago, but I was sitting in a throne seat and I had to ask a big, sturdy male cabin crew member to ask the inconsiderate person to remove her feet, because she was one of those aggressive, horrible types and I did not want to cause an in-flight incident. My logic was that passengers are less likely to be obnoxious to a cabin crew member than a fellow passenger. He gave her a right finger wagging which I admit to finding very amusing.

What were you doing in WTP?! This is terrible!

I've had people poking feet through the gap in seats in the past too. Usually women (smaller feet I guess).

A spilt cup of tea can do wonders, but you have to be careful not to get it on your seat.

LTN Phobia Mar 17, 2014 8:45 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 22538122)
What were you doing in WTP?! This is terrible!

That was some years ago. I used to fly economy class and premium economy regularly. In fact my first year or OWE was earned in discount economy.

In fact I had two long haul sectors in Y in the last month (wasn't on BA). It wasn't pleasant but it was actually not that bad. I was going to have two WT+ sectors too, but I was op-upped on one sector and the other suddenly came up with Avios upgrade so I took it.

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 22538122)

I've had people poking feet through the gap in seats in the past too. Usually women (smaller feet I guess).

That is annoying too. I've never spilt anything on them but I have asked them to take their feet away. I also had people putting their feet up against the head rest, which is also annoying.

To go back to the topic, I think throne seats are great and well worth £50 - in fact I'd pay more than that for it if I have to.

gustavmahler Mar 17, 2014 10:22 am

Done!