Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
CX firing warning shots at BA I reckon

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...tinations.html
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
"CX firing warning shots at CX I reckon"

I'm not sure I understand the title... Also as this is about a thread elsewhere, wouldn't that be the best place for this thread too?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHon Diamond, Fairmont Prem
Originally Posted by Dan72
"CX firing warning shots at CX I reckon"

I'm not sure I understand the title... Also as this is about a thread elsewhere, wouldn't that be the best place for this thread too?
I have a feeling OP meant to title the thread "CX firing warning shots at BA, I reckon"

Anyway, regardless, I disagree. Historically CX and BA have never had any kind of close partnership, particularly due to competition on the LHR-HKG route. Thus I don't think there is any kind of 'warning' for CX to make to BA - and there is no indication that CX will leave OneWorld. CX are simply offering their customers alternative options.

QR recently said that code-shares with BA are due to start soon, with other OW members to follow, so I suspect all we are seeing here is QR initiating greater integration into the network. Al Bakar also said he was very interested in ultimately starting a joint venture, specifically with BA, so I don't think there's too much to read into the CX situation.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
If it is the case they're firing warning shots at their own HKG-LHR traffic too!
Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by eddyegghead
I have a feeling OP meant to title the thread "CX firing warning shots at BA, I reckon"
Al Bakar also said he was very interested in ultimately starting a joint venture, specifically with BA, so I don't think there's too much to read into the CX situation.
If a JV would mean QR ensuring some consistency on their LHR hard product that would be a very welcome thing.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
I can't see how CX co-operating with a carrier that BA sponsored into Oneworld can be seen as a "warning shot" at BA.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Should have made it more clear I meant BA and in particular LHR, I know from people I know at CX a lot of people in the industry are working hard to get alternatives into Europe without being held to randsome by LHR
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by mayodave
Should have made it more clear I meant BA and in particular LHR, I know from people I know at CX a lot of people in the industry are working hard to get alternatives into Europe without being held to randsome by LHR
In part this is the same issue QF had connecting pax through LHR - the neeed to back track.

It seems perfectly logical for CX to offer a more direct routing within the Oneworld alliance framework than not too.

As others have said BA and CX have the LHR/HKG market sewn up and therefore need to act as commercial competitors in the fullest sense between those city pairs. Beyond HKG there is opportunity for BA to connect its pax on CX metal. Beyond LHR (ie TATL) its less compelling for CX to route pax westwards to the USA. So it doesnt happen.

Not sure they could do much else to cooperate?

Certainly no "warning shots"

Now BA and MH cooperating beyond KUL: That would possibly be a warning short to CX if it happened!!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:11 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Similar to what QF has done really, makes some sense to transfer in the middle east when travelling from Europe to Asia/Oceania rather than in London.

However it will really depend on the CX timing to DOH, and equipment used by QR. HKG-LHR is a good flight length, with a few hours on BA shorthaul. HKG-DOH is shorter which will minimise sleep opportunity, and will have a longer leg to the European destination.

From a quick look, the ATH timings do not save that much compared to going via LHR, and HKG-GVA looks to be quicker going via LHR than DOH with current scheduling.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:24 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
The only oneWorld hub CX serves ins LHR - right? (as FRA is definitely not an AB hub).

Adding route via DOH makes sense. CX LHR flights are full already, so risk of cannibalizing the LHR traffic is low...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
The only oneWorld hub CX serves ins LHR - right? (as FRA is definitely not an AB hub).
Um apart from DOH (QR), TYO (JL), SYD (QF), NYC (AA), KUL (MH) ... ?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ian001
I can't see how CX co-operating with a carrier that BA sponsored into Oneworld can be seen as a "warning shot" at BA.
Exactly...and only a short while after BA and CX themselves deepened their co-operation in a similar manner, with BA applying its codes to CX flights to Australia (and New Zealand?).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ar-2013-a.html

I think the OP may have somehow picked up the wrong end of the stick on this story.

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 18, 2014 at 10:44 am
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by NickW

Originally Posted by TPJ
<snip>
Yes, and LAX (AA+BA), SFO (AA+BA) and ORD (AA+BA). All small insignificant OW hubs
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I presume TPJ intended his/her remark to refer solely to Europe only - as that is the scope of the current discussion - codeshares to European destinations (the other oneworld hubs mentioned are not exactly useful in providing connections to CX customers bound for Europe!)

Originally Posted by NickW
CX service to DOH doesn't actually start for another 2 weeks or so...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by TPJ
Adding route via DOH makes sense. CX LHR flights are full already, so risk of cannibalizing the LHR traffic is low...
Without knowing how many people on these 'full' flights transfer to Euro destinations its impossible to really judge the risk.

if 50% are connecting elsewhere, then the flights may not remain full for long, if everyone decides to instead go via DOH (unlikely)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.