6 hours in Paris - What to do?

Old Mar 12, 14, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
6 hours in Paris - What to do?

All advice welcome....

Having promised the wife a visit to the 1st Class Lounge (I know, I know) for over a year and with little chance of making Gold this time and the validity expiring soon we have decided on a day trip to Paris.

Problem is, we don't know Paris very well and with only about 6 hours to play with we're both a little concerned we'll waste time aimlessly walking around.

So please, any advice is welcome. We arrive CDG at 11am(ish) and leave ORY at 8pm(ish) on a Thursday (17th April to be precise).

We'd like to have a nice lunch. Nothing too fancy, just relaxed and informal. People watching would go down well too. If the weather is nice a 1 hour walk after lunch with a cold beer by the river could be an option.

Also, what's the best way to get from/to the airports? Would consider a taxi if the time saved was significant.

PS - Apparently there's a tall tower thingy. We're both not fussed about going up it (or more accurately, queuing to go up it).

Thank you,

Lee
Old Mar 12, 14, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Lee ,

Get the train from CDG to Gare du Nord, they don't take long and are quite cheap. Then walk 15 minutes up to the Montmartre for fantastic views over the city. You can take the tube around to the Eiffel Tower , a spot of lunch and then take the train down to Orly. All very easy to navigate and a nice way to spend a few hours.
Old Mar 12, 14, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Specifically, RER B
http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/r_61854/rer-b/

And Paris Metro

http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/tourists/
Old Mar 12, 14, 1:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.1925 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Funny you asked this; I just did something similar with my mother. We were at Le Meridien, so from there, we walked to the Arc de Triomphe, walked the Champs-Elysees to Concorde, took the metro to Notre Dame, looked around, took the RER to Champ de Mars (Eiffel tower), then took the metro to Basilica Sacre Coeur.

We didn't actually go inside anything . If you could only do one thing, I'd suggest the Basilica. The view was breathtaking. I preferred it to everything else, though I'd imagine the view from the top of the Tower is better.
Old Mar 12, 14, 1:38 pm

Programs: Freedom of speech
xxxxx

Last edited by PeasantGate; May 27, 14 at 12:13 am
Old Mar 12, 14, 2:04 pm

You should have booked the return from CDG instead, you could have spent time in Cathay's excellent First Class lounge instead of the dog .... capital of the world...
Old Mar 12, 14, 2:12 pm
uk1
Suspended

If you want to give art and museums a miss and just have a leisurely lunch with a relax afterwards to soak in some of the Paris smells and people watch I suggest that from Gare du Nord, you but a few metro tickets and take the "Orange Line" (5) direction Place D'Italie to Bastille and take lunch at historic and atmospheric Bofinger. It is a Parisian Brasserie where you'll find a mix of ladies who lunch with business men with a few tourists. It will be memorable for someone new to Paris. If the waiters are in the mood one will drop a tray down the stairs making a bit of a clatter - which is a bit of an old Bofinger institution.

Bofinger

Request a wall table under the Cupola and people watch. The lunch fixed price menu is particularly great value. This will take you from around mid-day to 2pm ish. Miss out coffee.

Then back to the metro "Yellow Line" (1) Direction La Defense and get out at Tuileries. This places you at an entrance mid-way along the famous gardens. Wander in and find yourself one of the many cafes in the garden and have some coffee and brandy perhaps a beer or two and people watch for a couple of hours and then back to ORY.

As a Paris newby that would be my perfect few hours de-stress in Paris with a decent lunch. Also no changes on the metro until the trip back ...
Old Mar 12, 14, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
If you want to give art and museums a miss and just have a leisurely lunch with a relax afterwards to soak in some of the Paris smells and people watch I suggest that from Gare du Nord, you but a few metro tickets and take the "Orange Line" (5) direction Place D'Italie to Bastille and take lunch at historic and atmospheric Bofinger. It is a Parisian Brasserie where you'll find a mix of ladies who lunch with business men with a few tourists. It will be memorable for someone new to Paris. If the waiters are in the mood one will drop a tray down the stairs making a bit of a clatter - which is a bit of an old Bofinger institution.

Bofinger

Request a wall table under the Cupola and people watch. The lunch fixed price menu is particularly great value. This will take you from around mid-day to 2pm ish. Miss out coffee.

Then back to the metro "Yellow Line" (1) Direction La Defense and get out at Tuileries. This places you at an entrance mid-way along the famous gardens. Wander in and find yourself one of the many cafes in the garden and have some coffee and brandy perhaps a beer or two and people watch for a couple of hours and then back to ORY.

As a Paris newby that would be my perfect few hours de-stress in Paris with a decent lunch. Also no changes on the metro until the trip back ...
^My thoughts exactly though I might need more of a stroll after the sauerkraut.
Old Mar 12, 14, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
During yet another enforced stopover my wife dragged me out of my comfortable Sofitel CDG bed and forced me to join her on a 6 hour trip around Paris......I had refused on two separate missed connections before. We were advised to take the train in which was quick.

Think we saw most of the big tourist sights using a mixture of bus and metro. Frankly I'm not that keen on the place but as she speaks the lingo fluently she was able to get into the swing of things.
Old Mar 12, 14, 3:33 pm

Lucky you! I wouldn't mind being tasked with finding ways to spend a few hours in Paris!

RATP also has an app that you can use to plan a route from point A to B using various modes of city transportation. It lists the amount of connections, and the time between each point. Really handy for having an idea of how long you'll actually be on the metro.

App Store - search RATP

https://appsto.re/us/sCDoE.i

If you don't have an iPhone you can also use their online trip planner:

http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ra...herche-avancee

uk1's suggestion of a walk in the Tuileries sounds great, such a pretty place to walk. I definitely think I'd hand hang around between the 1st and 4th arrondissements. There are lots of cute and cozy places to eat in Le Marais and a mix of prices with some less expensive options as well. The Pompidou is nearby if the weather isn't ideal for walking. If it is beautiful out (and I hope it is!) maybe you could take a walk to the Place des Vosges after lunch and do some people watching. You still won't be too far to head down to the seine for a stroll and work your way back to the metro.

You really can't go wrong with a day in Paris! Bon chance!
Old Mar 12, 14, 3:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome lilniffa

Salut et bienvenue lilniffa! Welcome to Flyertalk and to the BA board, thank you very much for that very informative contribution, and may we see plenty more of you here. Welcome to the forum!

I've struggled with this question, since I like Paris so much that 6 hours is borderline insulting in my opinion. But having thought about it, my suggestion would be to go as far as Châtelet les Halles on the RER, then walk - perhaps deliberately without a map through to Île de la Cité - look at Notre Dame from the outside - then on to the romantic treasure of Île Saint Louis that no one seems to visit. Then head north to the Marais for a more buzzy streetlife, then jump on to any random Métro station back to the airport.
Old Mar 12, 14, 4:18 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Salut et bienvenue lilniffa! Welcome to Flyertalk and to the BA board, thank you very much for that very informative contribution, and may we see plenty more of you here. Welcome to the forum!

I've struggled with this question, since I like Paris so much that 6 hours is borderline insulting in my opinion. But having thought about it, my suggestion would be to go as far as Châtelet les Halles on the RER, then walk - perhaps deliberately without a map through to Île de la Cité - look at Notre Dame from the outside - then on to the romantic treasure of Île Saint Louis that no one seems to visit. Then head north to the Marais for a more buzzy streetlife, then jump on to any random Métro station back to the airport.
If you went that far you'd have to go a few yeards further and have a beer at the table beside the genuine guillotine at Le Caveau des Oubliettes ... just one further bridge! Real grass instead of a carpet ....
Old Mar 12, 14, 4:30 pm
Lux

Originally Posted by Lee_Again View Post
Problem is, we don't know Paris very well and with only about 6 hours to play with we're both a little concerned we'll waste time aimlessly walking around.
This is exactly what you should be doing in Paris!
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thank you all for your informative posts. I enjoyed reading them and passed them on to the wife. Having thoroughly reviewed them all she has decided that a night in Edinburgh would be better.

I don't know...I can't win.

Regards,
Lee
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:20 am
uk1
Suspended

How long have you been married?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: