Bounced from exit row days prior to trip

Old Mar 10, 14, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Bounced from exit row days prior to trip

This week I am flying BA on an AA code share (originating in US) and had previously reserved exit row seats for the LHR-CPT/CPT-LHR legs on BA. I noticed yesterday that my seats were reassigned to a window and middle seat. If I wanted an exit row, I am supposed to pay $75.

At the time I booked the flight I was AA Executive Platinum (emerald). I have dropped to Platinum (sapphire) effective March 1. Do they only allow free exit row seating to Emerald?
Old Mar 10, 14, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
Originally Posted by LookingAhead View Post
This week I am flying BA on an AA code share (originating in US) and had previously reserved exit row seats for the LHR-CPT/CPT-LHR legs on BA. I noticed yesterday that my seats were reassigned to a window and middle seat. If I wanted an exit row, I am supposed to pay $75.

At the time I booked the flight I was AA Executive Platinum (emerald). I have dropped to Platinum (sapphire) effective March 1. Do they only allow free exit row seating to Emerald?
Yes, that is correct.

If you want exit row, you need to pay or wait until T-24h to OLCI.
Old Mar 10, 14, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? View Post
Yes, that is correct.

If you want exit row, you need to pay or wait until T-24h to OLCI.
I already chose me seats online after I booked. That is why I am mystified as to the second change by BA. am I misunderstanding something here?
Old Mar 10, 14, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
That is a small price to pay for such a long flight. Don't waste any time or the seats will be gone,
Old Mar 10, 14, 11:35 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
I already chose me seats online after I booked. That is why I am mystified as to the second change by BA. am I misunderstanding something here?
When you booked you were Emerald, so had free access to the seats. Now you are not Emerald, so do not have free access to the seats.
Old Mar 10, 14, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
To answer the actual question:

yes, BA will move you out of Exit row seats when your status drops down.
Old Mar 10, 14, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gshumway View Post
To answer the actual question:

yes, BA will move you out of Exit row seats when your status drops down.
OK. I did not realize that the exit row was now only for Emerald or those who paid extra. I have had the exit row several times (pre-assigned) in the past on BA flights and was not Emerald (pretty certain) and did not pay extra (absolutely certain).
Old Mar 10, 14, 12:12 pm

The exit rows open up when OLCI opens. Any seats not taken by OWE or paying pax may be chosen free of charge.
Old Mar 10, 14, 12:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

OK. I did not realize that the exit row was now only for Emerald or those who paid extra. I have had the exit row several times (pre-assigned) in the past on BA flights and was not Emerald (pretty certain) and did not pay extra (absolutely certain).
They introduced the extra payment for exit row seats around 3 years ago I think. BA Silvers who used to get this for free then had to pay.
Old Mar 10, 14, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I did not realize that the exit row was now only for Emerald or those who paid extra. I have had the exit row several times (pre-assigned) in the past on BA flights and was not Emerald (pretty certain) and did not pay extra (absolutely certain).
Some years ago, the policy was different. But this is now, and this is (sadly) the policy now.
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
sometimes the exit rows open up to plebs (for a fee) 14 days before the flight......

I remember sitting up late one night to snag the exit row for an overnight flight back from the Caribbean not long ago.
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Are they sometimes held back later than 10 days, my friends trip is in 9 days and they are still blocked off?
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Are they sometimes held back later than 10 days, my friends trip is in 9 days and they are still blocked off?
You certainly can book them up to 14 days out and no doubt BA see this as a way of raising easy money. I've paid for this before as a Bluey, Bronze and Silver laterally coming back from HKG.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

Exit row seats

Exit row seats are available in World Traveller (economy) and World Traveller Plus (premium economy) on longer international flights. They can be reserved from 14 days to 4 days before your flight departs, or during online check-in.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: