More competition for WTP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ABBA
More competition for WTP

LH are launching a Premium Economy product ^

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/themen/premium-economy

Too many of BAs routes are old, crammed wtp cabins, but then with the exception of Virgin and their limited network, there's not a lot of choice for people wanting to fly in a premium cabin.

From the photos, it implies that LH PE on their 747 will be 2-3-2, which if true will be a major improvement on BA ^
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
And the add on to get lounge access is interesting (especially as in some instances their J lounges are better than the *G ones).

So basically it's starting to look a lot like long haul J class did the first time I rode it 20+ years back
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:02 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paulwuk
From the photos, it implies that LH PE on their 747 will be 2-3-2, which if true will be a major improvement on BA ^
No, the seat map shows 2-4-2 on the 747. So the same as BA.

The A340 will be 2-3-2.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
In the videos, it is clearly 2-4-2
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by gms
No, the seat map shows 2-4-2 on the 747. So the same as BA.

The A340 will be 2-3-2.
yep, 747 is 2-4-2 and unlike BA no meaningful cabin divider, so most leg room will be in first row of Y, not W!

BA W seat on refurb'ed 777-200 and 77W, 787 and 388 looks competitive with this.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by DFB_london
BA W seat on refurb'ed 777-200 and 77W, 787 and 388 looks competitive with this.
Absolutely. Competitive enough that I think the products are substantially identical, just like the Y ones are.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Mech, I'd still have to be paid to fly Scheissetansa. But I am all for competition ^

H
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Hoch
Mech, I'd still have to be paid to fly Scheissetansa. But I am all for competition ^

H
You'd have to pay me a six figure sum to fly Stalaglufthansa again..

The last time (read all about it \/\/\/\/\/\/) was more than enough for one lifetime.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I note with interest that Lufthansa have “set off on a journey to become a five star airline”.

So they are about fifteen years behind BA and VS with premium economy and ten years behind QR with their marketing. That does not sound like a particularly innovative strategy to me!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I note with interest that Lufthansa have “set off on a journey to become a five star airline”.
Sounds like Thorsten's doing their PR now
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:49 pm

LH are only just beginning to face the huge pressure from the LCC's in their home market. They are 10 years behind BA in facing this threat as the UK is the most mature LCC market, and they will have much to do in the coming years to stay competitive.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
LH are only just beginning to face the huge pressure from the LCC's in their home market. They are 10 years behind BA in facing this threat as the UK is the most mature LCC market, and they will have much to do in the coming years to stay competitive.
With the understanding that LH is not an airline with which I am particularly familiar I am tempted to disagree.

The premium economy cabin is clearly a long haul offering. Furthermore, much of the 'five star airline' opportunities are likely to focus on long haul markets where there is time to deliver a stand-out product. These markets tend not to be characterised by LCC competition (unless you consider QR and their brothers to be LCCs).
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I'm sorry, I just don't get the concept of "Premium Economy." Why would one pay a premium to fly essentially third class instead of fourth class? The seats, ultimately, are similar, food is inedible in all classes save F on both BA & LH....I don't get it.

Disclaimer: I'm a spoiled mostly F/sometimes J flyer, but I will say that I was recently faced with the prospect of having to fly back in either Y or W LAX-LHR, and had a J option not become possible at the last second, I would have paid for Y, not W. I don't see the appeal.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by jmc1K
I'm sorry, I just don't get the concept of "Premium Economy." Why would one pay a premium to fly essentially third class instead of fourth class? The seats, ultimately, are similar, food is inedible in all classes save F on both BA & LH....I don't get it.

Disclaimer: I'm a spoiled mostly F/sometimes J flyer, but I will say that I was recently faced with the prospect of having to fly back in either Y or W LAX-LHR, and had a J option not become possible at the last second, I would have paid for Y, not W. I don't see the appeal.
Are you tall? Yes, the food is not great, the seats aren't particularly comfortable in either W or Y, but at 6'4", 31 vs 38 inches of legroom is the difference between an intolerable and a tolerable flight.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jmc1K
I'm sorry, I just don't get the concept of "Premium Economy." Why would one pay a premium to fly essentially third class instead of fourth class?
Can't comment on BA, but on VS the seat is an enormous step up in comfort. Makes a huge difference on a long flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.