Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Useful bargain rates, discounts etc for the Sofitel at LHR T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Useful bargain rates, discounts etc for the Sofitel at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Can hotel bookings ever be transferable between guests?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
How is the hotel going to know unless there is a sex mismatch?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
How is the hotel going to know unless there is a sex mismatch?
..and even then, theres are plenty of valid arguments nowadays

seriously, if Darthlemsip's booking was in mid-September, I'd be making him an offer. I can't get a room for the dates we want so we're making a provisional booking at The Thistle (with the Pods) as an alternative.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetGal
..and even then, theres are plenty of valid arguments nowadays

seriously, if Darthlemsip's booking was in mid-September, I'd be making him an offer. I can't get a room for the dates we want so we're making a provisional booking at The Thistle (with the Pods) as an alternative.
I had a night at the thistle a few weeks ago. It is good because of the pods - £5 per person each way just in case you didn't know. However, I would say the hotel is way past it's best. Very dingy and run down. I would stay pretty much anywhere else around heathrow before staying there again.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:12 pm

I had a night at the thistle a few weeks ago. It is good because of the pods - £5 per person each way just in case you didn't know. However, I would say the hotel is way past it's best. Very dingy and run down. I would stay pretty much anywhere else around heathrow before staying there again.
It's the easy transit to LHR that's our main priority so we might have to put up with the it for one night. We'll be spending the next 14 in Tuscany anyway

edited to add: could you tell me if it's the sort of place that's easy to manoeuvre large cases, especially with mobility issues? the 'dingy' comment is now making me wonder about leaving luggage in T5 instead of lugging it both ways
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
It's the easy transit to LHR that's our main priority so we might have to put up with the it for one night. We'll be spending the next 14 in Tuscany anyway

edited to add: could you tell me if it's the sort of place that's easy to manoeuvre large cases, especially with mobility issues? the 'dingy' comment is now making me wonder about leaving luggage in T5 instead of lugging it both ways
About the Thistle, it's not very good with luggage, if you are not lucky. There are 2 floors and no lift (except for mobility impaired people), plus it can be a very long walk inside the hotel to get to your room. If you have a room on the ground floor near the entrance, it's fine.
I think if you use the free public buses, it's a bigger distance from the entrance of the hotel to your room than from the bus stop to the entrance.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by neuromancer
About the Thistle, it's not very good with luggage, if you are not lucky. There are 2 floors and no lift (except for mobility impaired people), plus it can be a very long walk inside the hotel to get to your room. If you have a room on the ground floor near the entrance, it's fine.
I think if you use the free public buses, it's a bigger distance from the entrance of the hotel to your room than from the bus stop to the entrance.
Thanks for this.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I have an early IST soon, so was tempted, but no availability for the mid week night, at least at the moment. Will check in a few days to see if any availability opens up.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: aeroplan, aadvantage, BAEC
I'm not sure if this one has been posted, but use code SUMMER2014 for 10% off. (unfortunately expires today at midnight)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:33 am

Does "trialtopsecret" still work though for 10% off? Not sure if there is an expiry date for this one.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I just tried with "trialtopsecret" and it said the code was expired.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: ABBA
The pods are free, I thought. Thistle charge you to go through a gate? How do they justify that?

Adds £20 to the cost of the hotel for 2 people vs the Sofitel.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by paulwuk
The pods are free, I thought. Thistle charge you to go through a gate? How do they justify that?

The pods aren't really "free"...they're "paid for" when you park there and it's supposed to be used only by car park guests.

I agree that the Thistle charge to use the gate is ridiculous (I scoped it our last time I parked there and it would take an age to circumvent). With a £20 upcharge you may as well stay in the vastly superior Sofitel. The Thistle is very 1990s.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk

Yes, but the Thistle claim that is what they are charged by Hal and that they don't make any money from those charges. I agree it is very expensive, same price as the Hoppa buses although you can always get the normal red buses around LHR for free if you want.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: ABBA
same price as the Hoppa buses
I suspect that's the key, protecting the disgusting "hoppa"s.

I also suspect that's why the pods haven't been expanded to cover the bath road hotels, they haven't found a way to monetise them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.