Search

BA (mostly) at its best - mini TR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
BA (mostly) at its best - mini TR

Sorry, no photos!

This trip was booked about ten days ago. I used a GGL 'joker' plus a GUF2 voucher to book TLS-LHR-SYD-LHR-TLS in CE and F for 209K Avios and just over £800.

Amazingly I got exactly the dates I needed and saved about £8000 on these flights. That said, had I been spending the cash, I would only have been prepared to spend about half of that from my project budget for this trip so that would probably would have forced me to fly in J or have made for a more fiddly routing.

I had originally planned to fly through from TLS to SYD, but had to put in 48 hours in Brighton on another project which increased the taxes on the ticket by about £170

Anyway. Checked in at the CE desk where I waited about five minutes. This was a godsend as the ET desks had queues 40 deep full of loud British public school kids (their accents left me in no doubt, should you be skeptical) in UGG boots returning from ski trips.

Boarded the evening TLS-LHR flight on time through the fast track. Sat down in 1A and had a prawn salad and a bloody mary. Sadly no sherry on board... a CE purser once suggested a dash of sherry in a bloody mary and I have never looked back since.

Arrived on time at the gate just opposite immigration at T5. Straight through the e-gates to the baggage carousel as I had checked in a heavy bag to continue on to Sydney and then LA where I needed to be this coming weekend for a low key work party

The priority tag the TLS check-in lady had put on my bag did not move the cold hearts of the baggage handlers and my bag came out almost last, which, as we know, is pretty normal procedure at BA. It's a shame as I was first off the plane, first through immigration and arrived at the carousel at least 5 minutes before the next TLS passenger. I was probably the last to leave 15 mins later!

Anyway, reunited with bag I exited and a driver was waiting to take me to Brighton.

Two days later he took me back to LHR around 7pm for the 21:55 departure to SYD via SIN. We drove straight to the F check-in at the far end of T5 and I wheeled in my trolley when the F check-in guardian politely suggested I should use a CW desk at zone H because there was quite a wait. I peered in and it didn't look too bad. All desks were occupied, but there was just one person waiting so I just said I would wait there. The very loud Russian mafiosi behind me decided to do the same. After five minutes of watching each check-in agent looking frustrated, walking up and around their desks and picking up their phones at regular intervals I decided to leave towards zone H. I asked the guardian why nothing was moving and he had no idea.

A charming lady at CW checked me in after a short wait behind somebody and I was on my way. Fast track security was empty and so I was through to the CCR in minutes.

The dragon was charming and asked whether I wanted to be picked up by Special Services when the aircraft was ready to board. I declined but thanked her anyway.

I sat straight down to dinner and ordered soup and sea bass. Both were excellent, especially the sea bass with crab linguine - top notch. I washed these down with a white Beaune from Bouchard Pere & Fils. Can't remember the year but it was stellar. As good as some Corton Charlemagnes I have tasted.

I then made a bunch of calls and broke the habit of a lifetime and headed for a pre-booked massage. I have, over the years, come to the conclusion that the Molton Brown and Elemis spas were a compete gimmick, but I knew I would be knackered and might benefit from a massage, so I decided to give them another chance. This therapist actually gave a good back massage and was worried that I looked so tired that I should have an extra 15 mins in a torture chair. I didn't want to hurt her feelings so I accepted and then promptly fell asleep in it.

On waking I left the spa (which was otherwise empty) and went back into the CCR... when the therapist came running after me with a pair of loafers. Of course I had wandered off without my shoes. Sad how this place becomes a home from home, really!

I found my bag and computer where I had left them near the terrace and ordered a final glass of what I called 'the French Burgundy' to the waiter. He returned with a glass of red. There was no red Burgundy on the list, so I sent him back to get white.

It was then time to board from C65 so I headed over and arrived about one minute before the gate officially closed at 21:35. They were boarding the last passengers.

I was welcomed on board and shown to 1K which would be my home all the way to SYD. I asked for PJs right away and everything was promptly delivered to my seat with a glass of LPGS and a glass of water. The pilot announced that this was BA's newest 777 ER and yes, it did look spanking new with very high quality IFE. I got changed, scanned the menu and decided that I would sleep first and eat later. We were airborne on time and the CSM quickly came by to introduce himself. He was charm personified and insisted that I call him if I needed anything. I didn't have to as his crew were superb. I asked for the bed to be made up and slept deeply for about 6 hours (I suppose, because on waking the TV said there was just over 5 hours to go).

I watched The Butler (those BA headphones are lamentable, so I now carry a pair of Bose QC-somethings which are superb) and cried my way through the history of the civil rights struggle, JFK and MLK's assassinations, the Mandela protests and munched my way through a lobster timbale and the salmon from the menu. Both were excellent and followed by some sort of cheese cake. Unfortunately the Meursault was a bit warm, but some ice soon sorted that out. I found the 2007 Malartic-Lagraviere too dry and tannic to my taste, but then 2007 was an off year and I knew that, so shouldn't have been surprised.

Breakfast was served a few hours later before arrival into Singapore and I had a small, but very decent, frittata with chorizo. The CSM came round and insisted I take 'something from the wine list' with me to have at my hotel on arrival. I thanked him for his generosity but said that would be impossible as I knew that security at SIN would never let me re-board with a bottle of wine... I thought that would get me off the hook as I felt a little guilty taking an unopened bottle of wine as a gift, but this CSM insisted. He said he knew the next purser and that he was a personal friend. He would not only leave him a note but would text him to let him know that a bottle of LPGS was waiting for me in a cupboard in the forward galley. I was forced to accept and thanked him again.

Now come on.. this sort of thing is why we like BA really, isn't it?

On landing at SIN I was first off through door 1 and I then realised that I had boarded last at LHR and was first off at SIN and really had no concept of any other passenger having been on board (although F had been totally full). The sign of a very relaxed and relaxing flight. I headed to the old QF lounge which now appears to be the new BA lounge. The showers were the same old and several were inoperative, but I was shown into a working one where there was just time to shower and change before sitting down with a glass of Perrier and checking my emails. I made a quick Skype call home to the wife and kids and then headed off to re-board through C24.

There was a fast track for security and it was all fairly quick. As I arrived they began to board which was a bit of a free-for-all, but I soon got on thanks to the F airbridge. I was shown back to 1K where the new CSM introduced himself and the crew member who would be looking after me. Both were the best of the best, and the CSM informed me that there was a bottle waiting for me in the galley for my arrival into SYD 7 hours later.

I changed back into my PJs and ordered a supper of sweetcorn fritters followed by an excellent salmon confit, cheese and a very poor Singapore-version of a trifle. They really shouldn't be trifling with British deserts.

Anyway, I never drink on this second sector, but made an exception - and I'm glad I did - for a Bannockburn 2011 Mt Difficulty Pinot Noir. What a revelation! I happened to be invited to the NZ wine organisation tasting in Sydney botanical gardens last night and went straight to the Mt Difficulty stand to congratulate them on their work. I will be ordering a case or two through their UK distributor when I am home!

The crew asked me whether I wanted to sleep until 40 mins to landing and I said yes, pre-ordering a pot of tea, some fruit and a croissant. These were presented to me on a tray at T-40. Perfect.

Arrival into SYD was easy and I used the electronic visa gates. This time priority luggage worked and the F bags were off first.

Work has kept me very busy down here with press engagements etc. and it's off to LA with QF tomorrow in J and then back here to Sydney next week before the return to LHR and straight through to TLS.

All in all, an excellent experience. I will be back to post something about the return if I find the time.

Last edited by HighLife; Feb 26, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for that most interesting report, sounds like a perfect ride to SYD. As you almost certainly know, the extra £170 was thanks to your stopover in the UK being over 24 hours and thus liable for APD, but still, a bargain for what you paid for and got out of the trip.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for that most interesting report, sounds like a perfect ride to SYD. As you almost certainly know, the extra £170 was thanks to your stopover in the UK being over 24 hours and thus liable for APD, but still, a bargain for what you paid for and got out of the trip.
A brilliant bargain, I agree ^. Can't fault BAEC as it stands.

And on the crew front, no fewer than three golden tickets sent.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HighLife

Boarded the evening TLS-LHR flight on time through the fast track. Sat down in 1A and had a prawn salad and a bloody mary. Sadly no sherry on board... a CE purser once suggested a dash of sherry in a bloody mary and I have never looked back since.
If sherry is not available, you might want to try your Bloody Mary topped with a splash of red wine. A bar in Edinburgh serves them this way and I discovered it's a delicious twist (and certainly would always be on hand)
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ruby55
If sherry is not available, you might want to try your Bloody Mary topped with a splash of red wine. A bar in Edinburgh serves them this way and I discovered it's a delicious twist (and certainly would always be on hand)
Life just got even better. Thanks ruby55. Now officially intrigued
and only a couple of hours to wait until Bloody Mary o'clock here in Sydney!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Whilst we are on the subject, the barmen and women at The Hospital in London do BMs in a cocktail shaker with a sprig of fresh lemon thyme in with the rest...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Nice TR - looks like you had a great trip. I'm looking forward to flying to SYD in F now - not booked yet.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Great TR, thanks.

I had pretty good service on my flights to and from SYD in F in November too.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:18 am

Smile

We also had a pretty perfect F experience from arriving at LHR on BA15 last Thursday. BA.com/welldone' to follow! The Salmon main course could only be described as being perfectly cooked, even though I was expecting it to be dry given how hard it can be to prepare fish well!

Last edited by Sharratt4; Feb 27, 2014 at 5:21 am Reason: Spelling mistake!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Blue, Sixt Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Sharratt4
We also had a pretty floorless F experience from arriving at LHR on BA15 last Thursday. BA.com/welldone' to follow! The Salmon main course could only be described as being perfectly cooked, even though I was expecting it to be dry given how hard it can be to prepare fish well!
Maybe the missing floors were something to do with it?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:04 am

It's good to hear these positive reports. The Sydney route is performing well and hopefully will be around for many years to come.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
It's good to hear these positive reports. The Sydney route is performing well and hopefully will be around for many years to come.
It really does seem to be performing well. I am trying to move my return date forward by two or three days but the flights are totally zeroed out.

No huge drama for me, thankfully.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Thanks for the report.............you had some of the best BA crew which makes all the difference! ^
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Syme
Maybe the missing floors were something to do with it?
Well it was better than flour less which is what it autocorrected to first
Have now amended for your viewing pleasure!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Always good when you have a smashing trip like this, and yes, Mt Difficulty do some cracking wines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.