Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else smell a rat ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Anyone else smell a rat ?

Thank you for all the genuine and helpful comments. To infrequent flyers of advanced years this sort of situation is probably more disturbing and upsetting than it is to those of younger years who are more frequent flyers. They were certainly unconvinced by the staff at HKG but I agree the reasons given were probably as stated. I'll pass the message on to them that the broken seat issue is not uncommon but perhaps I will not tell them that they should be "eternally grateful" to BA for getting them home on another carrier.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Quote:

Originally Posted by Often1

This thread is based on not one single fact and involves BA acting contrary to its own financial interest.

Heads I win, tails you lose could be an alternative title. Indeed, it sounds more like hearsay and gossip to me. Had BA not taken this alleged action - can you imagine the thread? Bumped to J, Bumped off the aircraft, F is overbooked (funny how everybody appears to fly F these days - no one with whom I am personally acquainted actually does but that's by the by). So if as you say all this happened, then it would appear that BA did the right thing and booked them with an excellent airline(so I read here)

I really do think that they are d*mned when they do and d*mned when they don't)
I'll treat the innuendo of lying with the contempt that it deserves.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
I would have preferred a voluntary downgrade to CW than being rerouted on CX if that meant another 3 hours at the airport.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Would I be right in think CX are the only other airline to offer a direct f flight to LHR?

It is very easy to turn to a conspiracy theory. Maybe just treat this at face value.

Someone else here could have written a different thread praising BA for their actions in securing two CX F seats at short notice.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
BA, CX and Virgin I think.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If they were on BA26 leaving HKG on Monday night at 23:30, they were somehow totally overbooked in First that night. I didn't see any broken seats but I wasn't checking them all out. CW also full, I didn't spot any gaps in WTP and WT was largely full. In the morning Expertflyer was showing something like F0, J3, W1, Y9 but the service was largely full on departure despite some Cathay connections running in late. The following 777 was fairly similar, whereas there was Avios redemptions going across the board for Cathay. I imagine someone in Waterside is delighted but I don't understand how this all computes eitehr.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Heads I win, tails you lose could be an alternative title. Indeed, it sounds more like hearsay and gossip to me. Had BA not taken this alleged action - can you imagine the thread? Bumped to J, Bumped off the aircraft, F is overbooked (funny how everybody appears to fly F these days - no one with whom I am personally acquainted actually does but that's by the by). So if as you say all this happened, then it would appear that BA did the right thing and booked them with an excellent airline(so I read here)

It is quite fun to see BA Superfriends back in action to defend Gotham City Airways.

We really don't have any facts to go on in this case. We don't know if the flyers existed, if the broken seats existed, or if there's even a place called Hong Kong.

However, for fun, let's accept it all at face value. A new plane has broken F seats. I can't see that as a positive.

BA gets F flyers on another airline. Are we supposed to applaud the fact that BA treated First class international passengers simply in the manner any airline one step above brain dead would treat potentially high revenue passengers? I think it is worth a shrug at best.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Whilst being moved from a flight is rarely nice (particularly when in F and on a late night departure), I can think of worse situations to be in than CX F!

A 3 hour delay is not huge by many standards, and I'm sure the travellers would be given some Avios compensation for the delay. That, coupled with The Wing First Class lounge to wait in and CX F makes it a not unreasonable experience, IMO.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:29 pm

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If they were on BA26 leaving HKG on Monday night at 23:30, they were somehow totally overbooked in First that night. I didn't see any broken seats but I wasn't checking them all out. CW also full, I didn't spot any gaps in WTP and WT was largely full. In the morning Expertflyer was showing something like F0, J3, W1, Y9 but the service was largely full on departure despite some Cathay connections running in late. The following 777 was fairly similar, whereas there was Avios redemptions going across the board for Cathay. I imagine someone in Waterside is delighted but I don't understand how this all computes eitehr.
CWS

6 broken seats on BA26 last night (1F 5CW) full all classes.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dutch_122
CWS
6 broken seats on BA26 last night (1F 5CW) full all classes.
Thanks for that, I think they got a 7th broken in CW during the flight - and there was only a young child on it. It was XLEA, the first one. That kind of suggests that they bumped the OP's friends, one for the "normal" First overbook, the other for the broken seat.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:40 pm

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Today it went to LAX as BA269.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by IcHot
It is quite fun to see BA Superfriends back in action to defend Gotham City Airways.

We really don't have any facts to go on in this case. We don't know if the flyers existed, if the broken seats existed, or if there's even a place called Hong Kong.

However, for fun, let's accept it all at face value. A new plane has broken F seats. I can't see that as a positive.

BA gets F flyers on another airline. Are we supposed to applaud the fact that BA treated First class international passengers simply in the manner any airline one step above brain dead would treat potentially high revenue passengers? I think it is worth a shrug at best.
I don't think anyone did say that a broken seat was a "positive" thing? Not that it's necessarily BA's fault.

I don't recall reading anyone saying BA should be applauded either - merely that BA did all that was reasonably possible to get them from Hong Kong to London in First ASAP. And if a 2 hour delay upset them as much as the OP implies, perhaps public transport just isn't for them, and they'd be much happier chartering their own private jet! (And maybe a standby private jet incase the first has a technical issue)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genius1
A 3 hour delay is not huge by many standards, and I'm sure the travellers would be given some Avios compensation for the delay.
They would be entitled to IDB compensation, viz. €600/person if they arrived more than 4 hours compared to the original schedule or €300/person if 4 hrs or less.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI

A rather uncalled for post imho.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by economyman
A rather uncalled for post imho.
Why?

BA could not carry the passengers in their chosen class. Arranged a transfer to a better f service.

What else could they possibly have done? Ok the two travellers may be of a more advanced age but so what.

BA has many genuine faults, this is not one of them.

I also guess the PG was totally exasperated (without wishing to put words in her mouth) with yet another 'how bad are BA' thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.