Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's all the fuss about over the 787?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

What's all the fuss about over the 787?

Just flew NCL-NYC-NCL on BA last week...

The NCL-LHR-NCL sectors were 100% full which I found to be a surprise (didn't really think it was THAT popular)

Then we flew on BA177 to JFK on the 77W. We were delayed by 2 hours and eventually took off at 1500. During the online check in the only window seat available was 33A (near the toilets) which we were worried about however it turned out to be a great seat. No one was behind us so we could recline the entire flight, the cabin was quiet and the flight went quick. The crew were excellent, and the legroom was fine for the 7 hour flight.

We then flew back on BA188 from EWR on the 787 and I really can't see what all the fuss is about. We sat in row 25 and if anything, the seats felt smaller with less legroom and there was a constant noise throughout the flight and even the 77W felt quieter. We all have jetlag the same as we have before on a longhaul flight so I'm struggling to see why the dreamliner is considered a new experience for passengers (apart from the bigger windows)
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Well the 777W does tend to pick up delays on the NYC run, as the aircraft is often delayed from it's earlier flight.... But I like it.

You are right, the 787 does have smaller seats note the 9 abreast seating in y -same as on the 777, and does have reduced seat pitch in some rows, particularly the last 5.

However, it has a great WT+ cabin.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Having been a long haul Y traveller myself for many years I suspect that some of the members here on the BA Board have no interest, no experience or any clue what you are talking about regarding sitting in Economy.

Seriously though, sounds like you received decent service on the outbound.

What was the return like?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Various members of the BA forum are past masters at making a fuss about all sorts of stuff, but I don't recall any hyperbole over economy class in the 787. The cabin is 15" narrower than the 777 with the same 9-abreast, so yes, it is indeed more cramped. I'd agree with you that the noise is worse on the 787 then the 777 : the general ambient is about the same but the 787 has this overlaid with an irritating whine too.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by pallan12
Just flew NCL-NYC-NCL on BA last week...

The NCL-LHR-NCL sectors were 100% full which I found to be a surprise (didn't really think it was THAT popular)

Then we flew on BA177 to JFK on the 77W. We were delayed by 2 hours and eventually took off at 1500. During the online check in the only window seat available was 33A (near the toilets) which we were worried about however it turned out to be a great seat. No one was behind us so we could recline the entire flight, the cabin was quiet and the flight went quick. The crew were excellent, and the legroom was fine for the 7 hour flight.

We then flew back on BA188 from EWR on the 787 and I really can't see what all the fuss is about. We sat in row 25 and if anything, the seats felt smaller with less legroom and there was a constant noise throughout the flight and even the 77W felt quieter. We all have jetlag the same as we have before on a longhaul flight so I'm struggling to see why the dreamliner is considered a new experience for passengers (apart from the bigger windows)
Well, as a counter to that, I came back on the 186 last week and have to say, have never felt fresher getting off an overnight East Coast flight as I did when arriving at LHR. Admittedly I was in 2E, which probably helped, but even so.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
You are right, the 787 does have smaller seats note the 9 abreast seating in y -same as on the 777, and does have reduced seat pitch in some rows, particularly the last 5..
That's worrying.

I hope to God they don't put it on the EZE route.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:34 pm

Been on a 787 a couple times and agree with the OP. Unless you're the pilot, I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PETER01
Having been a long haul Y traveller myself for many years I suspect that some of the members here on the BA Board have no interest, no experience or any clue what you are talking about regarding sitting in Economy.
This is the funniest thing I have read in the past week! How true!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:40 pm
Suspended

The 787 is a victim of its own success in this respect. Because outside noise has been reduced dramatically through better insulation and quieter engines, interior noises tend to be much more noticeable. I think I prefer the humming of the engines over the snoring of other pax.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This is the funniest thing I have read in the past week! How true!
Thanks LondonElite!

Glad someone thought it was funny! (and of course it was entirely tongue in cheek)

Originally Posted by HIDDY
That's worrying. I hope to God they don't put it on the EZE route.
I think the 787 is capable on the EZE route although I'm not 100% sure about this, or whether BA would put it on that specific route.

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commerc...787-8prod.page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Glad someone thought it was funny! (and of course it was entirely tongue in cheek)
I actually sprayed some wine on my laptop!

I then did some research and, yes, there are seats behind that curtain that are really small and look dreadfully uncomfortable.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I actually sprayed some wine on my laptop!

I then did some research and, yes, there are seats behind that curtain that are really small and look dreadfully uncomfortable.
Well that's not your fault if your laptop is damaged, it's BA's as you were reading the BA Board, of which BA are a part of, and therefore you are entitled to compensation for any repairs.

Seriously though, the air quality and newer IFE are a big plus with these new types of aircraft which is a good thing.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:46 pm
Suspended

The only 787 flights I have been on are QR between DOH and DXB. Yes, the windows are bigger, and the wing flex is interesting since you can tell that there are composites at work. I didn't notice any humidity/pressure/noise differences, especially over the A380 which I've flown a lot, but willing to accept that these didn't really come into play on such a short flight.

There seem to be a lot of engineering-for-engineering's-sake solutions on the plane (toilet interior door handles, seat recline, etc)
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL;
Having flown LHR-EWR up the front I have to agree, Boeing's marketing dept have made improved passenger comfort a big deal, but it did not feel that different, if anything with the familiar CW seats feels a bit cramped.. As for big windows I have very happy childhood memories of the Viscount - now they were big windows !
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Having just come of a 787 in J from LHR-YYZ I also can't really explain the benefit over more mortal aircraft...
Yep, bigger windows with a suitably interesting dimming button.
But that's about it. Not noticeably quieter than a 777 and imo louder than an A380. Toilet doors confused me (presumably because I'm simple / used to all other aircraft toilet doors)
Not sure what I was expecting to be honest but the ovens nailed a mean steak though so it's a win from me..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.