Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

QF's Mattress in Business - perfect for CW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Silver, Emirates Gold, Airfrance Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

So just arrived in DXB from LHR on QF in J. Had planned to sleep onboard, so ate in the BA FLounge at T3 and put the seat back right after takeoff.

The nifty little mattress addition to QF's business class offering is a real treat. It's only a thin little thing, but it manages to cover over the usual lumps and bumps on a flat bed seat to make the surface much, much more comfortable.

It slides over the top of the seat (including headrest) and didn't move at all that I noticed.

If only BA could add something similar to CW. It doesn't require a 'turndown' service as it's just so simple you can do it yourself, but would make a huge difference I think! The QF seat is a similar shape to CW, so I reckon it could work in much the same way?

(That, QF's J class pyjamas and new EK-inspired chauffeur service at LHR and DXB made for a very pleasant experience... and with a great fare too.)
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, FB Gold, CX Gold. Amex Plat et al
I did this route with QF J on the way back after Xmas. Completely agree on the topper, great addition and very simple. As an aside, I thought the service was a world ahead of BA. I've done a lot of BA CW and 1x BA F. I thought QF J beat CW hands down and in fact thought it also beat BA F, although 1 sector isn't a truly fair comparison. Plus the pyjamas etc, made it feel more F than J.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad
I did this route with QF J on the way back after Xmas. Completely agree on the topper, great addition and very simple. As an aside, I thought the service was a world ahead of BA. I've done a lot of BA CW and 1x BA F. I thought QF J beat CW hands down and in fact thought it also beat BA F, although 1 sector isn't a truly fair comparison. Plus the pyjamas etc, made it feel more F than J.
I fully agree: the topper, the pyjamas and the service in general, at least on the A380, make QF J a top product, on par with BA F.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Mattresses do make a lot of difference on flights, IMO. It would be great if CW had them, at least on night flights.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: QF Gold
Completely agree! Had the best night's sleep even on a slopey-J seat on an old 747. It's only thin but makes such a difference.

As I was leaving a BA flight the other week I noticed a CW seat with one of these on - I assume it was a pilot rest seat and he'd borrowed one from F!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:32 am
Suspended

Just ask for another quilt and use it as a topper
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:30 am

I've done that but it's not the same. Also depends how many spares they're carrying.

Besides it seems a fairly capital-light way of introducing a service enhancement in CW.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wellsy
I've done that but it's not the same. Also depends how many spares they're carrying.

Besides it seems a fairly capital-light way of introducing a service enhancement in CW.
Problem is it can become a highly sort after pilferage item!

And if they enhance CW more it will make justification for F even harder
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
The sheepskin cover in QF-F makes the most comfortable bed in the air.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
If BA is trying to save money by making eyeshades and earplugs 'on demand', do you really think they will provide toppers in J?

I'd just be thankful they still give you a quilt and a pillow
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Silver, Emirates Gold, Airfrance Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
I quite often bring my own pillow... I'll swap it for a mattress topper.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Miles & Bonus Gold, BD Diamond Blue
I wonder if they QF pinched some excess EK stock for those mattress toppers.
Certainly they help smooth and cushion the flatbeds/ lieflats/ recliners on the EK fleet. Perhaps another by-product of the J-V
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
If BA is trying to save money by making eyeshades and earplugs 'on demand', do you really think they will provide toppers in J?

haha very true - have you seen the pillows in Economy though - I think most of my Amazon deliveries come with more packaging than that poor excuse for a pillow!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by patvan
I fully agree: the topper, the pyjamas and the service in general, at least on the A380, make QF J a top product, on par with BA F.
+1
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
I think it's unseasonable that they won;t let you use the blanket on take off or landing.

I guess the warmth is good though, takes one's mind off the hunger pangs after their tiny meals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.