Captain doing a walk around?

Old Feb 21, 14, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Captain doing a walk around?

I flew back from GVA earlier this week. Lovely cabin crew. One seemed quite new and was trying really hard to impress. She was run off her feet with 30 in the CE cabin.

After the meals, the cockpit door opens and the Captain walks out and proceeds to do a walk around the CE cabin. I was in Row 1 so was the first that got a wee chat. Lovely guy. Chatted away about what brought me to Geneva, his friend had done something similar before, thanked me for my loyalty to BA, etc etc.

I know a lot of people couldn't be bothered with this if they were working or engrossed in the latest Eastenders on their iPad but I was happy to chat away as I didn't fall into either of those categories

It was really nice and not something I have ever seen before. Anyone else had this?

Last edited by stu1985; Feb 21, 14 at 1:18 pm
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Caribbean Miles Silver, Club Caribbean
I don't want to be negative but, I know most airlines (can't say BA for sure) it is against the rules for cockpit crew to be walking around the cabin during flight which started post 9/11. Maybe BAs Rules are different.

I personally think is would be a nice touch but, if it is against Civil Aviation Regulations then, it really shouldn't be happening.

Someone I'm sure will come along and confirm or disprove my statement as I'm not familiar will BAs rules per say.
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:18 pm

I personally think is would be a nice touch but, if it is against Civil Aviation Regulations then, it really shouldn't be happening.
It isn't against any regulation.
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Oh God, here's hoping I haven't opened a can of worms. I genuinely thought it was a nice thing to do. No ulterior motive! Promise!
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Caribbean Miles Silver, Club Caribbean
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver View Post
Sorry I stand corrected then. Maybe is a US thing because I know for sure it is against the rules on American Airlines and Caribbean Airlines which are the other airlines I travel on. Good to know BA isn't the same. My source is friends who work for both airlines

Sorry OP!

Last edited by BA2158; Feb 21, 14 at 1:29 pm
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Pheeeeeeew!

So, anyone else experienced this nice touch?
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by stu1985 View Post
Pheeeeeeew!

So, anyone else experienced this nice touch?

Didn't the Ethiopian passengers experience this for a prolonged period this week enroute to FCO ? Oh sorry GVA ?

cs

Last edited by cornishsimon; Feb 21, 14 at 1:52 pm
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I've occasionally seen FD crew in the cabin on l/h. They're generally going to the loo. Never had any opportunity to chat in CW, though, even on the UD where they live/work.
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:51 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
What do US flight crew do in the US when they need to go the toilet or take their rest

I think it's important that flight crew should be able to walk around the cabin, if they need to. I have seen it happen a few times, especially during irrops. It can be quite reassuring for many passengers.
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:56 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Dan72 View Post
What do US flight crew do in the US when they need to go the toilet or take their rest

I think it's important that flight crew should be able to walk around the cabin, if they need to. I have seen it happen a few times, especially during irrops. It can be quite reassuring for many passengers.
The FAs block the ailse with a trolley. I also think one of them has to go into the cockpit.
Old Feb 21, 14, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
AA seem quite paranoid (well, not the crew, but the policy) when they block off the aisle at the galley with trolleys when one of the flight crew wants to attend to a call of nature.

I think it's a nice thing for pilots to do, always remember a flight on MH in August 2001 when pilot led a conga around the economy cabin (I was a student) to encourage people to move about and stretch during KUL-SYD flight

Edit - DYKWIA, that seems a bit odd, do they think the remaining pilot will just take a joyride, surely not!

Last edited by lorcancoyle; Feb 21, 14 at 2:01 pm Reason: DYKWIA's post update
Old Feb 21, 14, 2:00 pm

Programs: IB Platino
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver View Post
Couple years back we had a delayed flight to AMS (~2 hours), due to a technical issue at AMS delaying our takeoff at LHR. During the flight captain came around to speak to passengers, apologise for delay have a general chat. I'm sure there were a few textbook jokes about who was flying the plane.

Made me laugh living in NL for a few years I got used to the Dutch being quite outspoken. One guy asked him why he didn't just take off and fly to GRQ instead as that was just as easy, its a smallish airport but from my recollection some train journey from AMS! The captain was extremely diplomatic advising BA didn't have ground staff available, he used GRQ as a navigational aid but not all passengers wanted to end their journey there.
Old Feb 21, 14, 2:15 pm

Programs: Freedom of speech
xxxxx

Last edited by PeasantGate; May 27, 14 at 12:33 am
Old Feb 21, 14, 3:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by stu1985 View Post
I flew back from GVA earlier this week.

<snip>

After the meals, the cockpit door opens and the Captain walks out and proceeds to do a walk around the CE cabin. I was in Row 1 so was the first that got a wee chat. Lovely guy. Chatted away about what brought me to Geneva, his friend had done something similar before, thanked me for my loyalty to BA, etc etc.
You didn't say where you were actually flying back into, but, assuming it was LHR, the block time is about 75 minutes,. I'm struggling to see how the captian had time to do a walkround and chat with 30 in the CE cabin. By the time the meals were done, weren't you already on approach to LHR ? Or were you on G-TARDIS ?
Old Feb 21, 14, 3:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
You didn't say where you were actually flying back into, but, assuming it was LHR, the block time is about 75 minutes,. I'm struggling to see how the captian had time to do a walkround and chat with 30 in the CE cabin. By the time the meals were done, weren't you already on approach to LHR ? Or were you on G-TARDIS ?
Bored positioning crew in jump seat who decided to have a chat in the cabin?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: