FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Least number of miles for a flat bed CW redemption (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1552547-least-number-miles-flat-bed-cw-redemption.html)

the_seeker1977 Feb 17, 2014 2:13 am

Least number of miles for a flat bed CW redemption

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone could advise me of the shortest CW flatbed route that is offered from LHR on BA metal? I think JFK might be an option although i'd prefer if it wasn't JFK, I was wondering if there is anywhere else?

Thanks in advance

aceman Feb 17, 2014 2:15 am

I think it might be DME? -or maybe TLV?

More Champagne Sir? Feb 17, 2014 2:19 am

Moscow - DME.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 17, 2014 2:20 am

Originally Posted by aceman (Post 22362491)
I think it might be DME? -or maybe TLV?

Yes DME is the very nearest, with places like TLV, Beirut, Cairo, Amman not far behind, with AMM and BEY having the BMI version of flatbeds. Place like Montréal and Boston are nearly twice the distance. If you are quick and cunning: GLA and ARN!

LoneGroover Feb 17, 2014 6:27 pm

DME also has the advantage of being the only route I'm aware of that has a flat bed and is also a reward saver route so avoids the usual high taxes (£50 & 40K avios rtn in CW). Unfortunately that's offset to an extent by the cost of a Russian visa but you can't have everything.

flygod Feb 18, 2014 12:52 am

CWS,

I live near GLA. Any tips please for a slow (but maybe cunning!) person?

I know my wife would like to try BA Club before committing to a BKK or HKG flight - poor thing is used to Thai F!

shorthauldad Feb 18, 2014 12:57 am

Originally Posted by flygod (Post 22368729)
I live near GLA. Any tips please for a slow (but maybe cunning!) person?

I'm guessing c-w-s is referring to the occasional substitution of l/h B767 aircraft for the scheduled s/h version on these routes.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 18, 2014 1:06 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad (Post 22368743)
I'm guessing c-w-s is referring to the occasional substitution of l/h B767 aircraft for the scheduled s/h version on these routes.

Indeed I am. Having made that comment, I'm now scratching my brain as to how to do it.

The best I can think of is to check Flyertalk and the BA Source very regularly. Perhaps Flight tracker 24 too. Clearly the 767 is on regular rotation there, and if a 767 is unwell, and/or bad weather, redirects etc, who knows you may get a late sub. Generally you're looking for several incidents to collide in your favour.

You had an opportunity on Saturday afternoon to do a 747 from NCL to LHR, but only about 3 hours notice. Incidentally the cleaners whinged like mad about the state of the aircraft at NCL, they are used to 40 minute stable hops, not 11 hour rollercoasters. I noticed that both BAEC and avios.com were wide open for redemptions too, so keep a nice little reserve for that. I am told some people were seated main deck CW (but not First or Upper Deck). Probably the CSD could have been prevailed upon.

A clever, nifty BA would put the word out, purely to do the informal PR to which you are referring.

Sixth Freedom Feb 18, 2014 2:10 am

Although DME, TLV and CAI offer flat beds the flights are extremely short and so the opportunity to enjoy them is diminished.

I would consider the 80k Avios region to be the sweet spot, with 6-8 hours in flight giving enough time for lunch, a movie and a snooze if you want one.

These routes include ORD, IAD, PHL, EWR, JFK, BOS, BAH/DOH, AUH/MCT and DXB.

You can realistically get nine hours on the plane for 80k Avios if you go for either DOH or MCT, which have stops in BAH and AUH respectively.

SteveF Feb 18, 2014 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 22368912)
Although DME, TLV and CAI offer flat beds the flights are extremely short and so the opportunity to enjoy them is diminished..

And DME (and maybe the other two?) run the risk of a substitute s/h aircraft, which is annoying at the best of times but would be even more so in this case where the OP specifically wants a CW flatbed.

I'd go for something slightly longer that would guarantee a CW flat bed as Sixth Freedom suggests, although having done the AUX-MCT and MCT-AUH legs more times than I care to think about, I'd skip the DOH and MCT options due to the annoying sub-one hour hop and one hour layover just when you want to sleep, unless of course the OP really wants a holiday in MCT (which I stronly recommend) or DOH (which I personally don't).

aceman Feb 18, 2014 2:38 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 22368761)
Indeed I am. Having made that comment, I'm now scratching my brain as to how to do it.

The best I can think of is to check Flyertalk and the BA Source very regularly. Perhaps Flight tracker 24 too. Clearly the 767 is on regular rotation there, and if a 767 is unwell, and/or bad weather, redirects etc, who knows you may get a late sub. Generally you're looking for several incidents to collide in your favour.

You had an opportunity on Saturday afternoon to do a 747 from NCL to LHR, but only about 3 hours notice. Incidentally the cleaners whinged like mad about the state of the aircraft at NCL, they are used to 40 minute stable hops, not 11 hour rollercoasters. I noticed that both BAEC and avios.com were wide open for redemptions too, so keep a nice little reserve for that. I am told some people were seated main deck CW (but not First or Upper Deck). Probably the CSD could have been prevailed upon.

A clever, nifty BA would put the word out, purely to do the informal PR to which you are referring.

Cuts two ways. You really have to feel for people who're flying BA for the first time, see the plane, CW etc and duly astounded, book it for their next flight...

LondonElite Feb 18, 2014 2:42 am

Are you interested in the seat or the service? If you are only interested in the seat, you can look at FRA or ARN, or a number of other European routes where 767s are used. Occasionally/often these will use a LH configuration (for example you will see 76Z in the aircraft type), and these birds use WT+/CW cabins for CE (with CE service, but IFE). I have to admit I don't know whether CW seats are allocated first come basis or whether it is based on status. What I do know is that I flew up to ARN yesterday (G-BNWI) and am flying back in 'CW' today.

clubman Feb 18, 2014 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 22368912)
Although DME, TLV and CAI offer flat beds the flights are extremely short and so the opportunity to enjoy them is diminished.

I don't entirely agree.

DME is short for sure, but TLV and CAI are around 5 hours on the return (a recent flight took 5:30 in fact) and while JFK is scheduled to be a couple of hours longer, in practice the flying time for JFK-LHR compared to TLV/CAI-LHR can be as little as an hour or less.

if the pure purpose is to try CW using as little avios as possible, I would suggest one of the shorter destination.

LondonElite Feb 18, 2014 3:07 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 22368761)

Not that much scratching required. I booked my ARN flight on Thursday last week and did my seat selection that evening. OLCI showed 76Z, so happy days. Second row CW out, third row back tonight. Planning to watch Captain Philips. ;)

The point is that this was no last minute substitution.

A few recent FRA trips were similar, albeit with old NCW.

pauldb Feb 18, 2014 4:56 am

No love for KWI? About 6 hrs on a 747 for 50k return. :D