Search

Birthday treatment for Non-BAEC-member?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer

A friend of mine (non-BAEC-member, but birth date is in the PNR) is travelling next week together with me to LHR on her birthday. Is there any special birthday treatment on-board and, if yes, how can I apply for it?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
A friend of mine (non-BAEC-member, but birth date is in the PNR) is travelling next week together with me to LHR on her birthday. Is there any special birthday treatment on-board and, if yes, how can I apply for it?
There is none offered even for a higher tier BAEC member so there is no reason to expect anything. On most flights there is a >50% chance or thereabouts of someone having a birthday, if you think about it.

Why don't you buy a bottle of champagne air side and ask the cabin crew to serve it, or something similar?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Why don't you buy a bottle of champagne air side and ask the cabin crew to serve it, or something similar?
Too expensive, but I consider swapping my Starbucks mug against a bottle of Moet on the return flight
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

Years ago Virgin did something, you could pay £x for a mini bottle of champagne and an individual birthday cake. I was 14 or so and arranged it as a surprise for my mum but cabin crew didn't do a thing and said they hadn't been informed of anything. As I was 14 I wasn't really sure what to do so I just did nothing. Oh well! Looking back my mum would probably have hated the attention
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Justonemore
Years ago Virgin did something, you could pay Łx for a mini bottle of champagne and an individual birthday cake. I was 14 or so and arranged it as a surprise for my mum but cabin crew didn't do a thing and said they hadn't been informed of anything. As I was 14 I wasn't really sure what to do so I just did nothing. Oh well! Looking back my mum would probably have hated the attention
Actually, I think it was very thoughtful coming from a 14 year old and it is pathetic that the airline (be it the reservation system or the crew, hard to say) screwed it up. Well done to you anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes there is special treatment. If you let BA Special Services know far enough in advance, they'll show you the secret door in the 747 that leads to the little magic private room where all the cool people are drinking whisky and playing cards!

Seriously, no, they won't do anything for you. It's not Pizza Express.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
In 2007 before discovering BAEC I went to NYC on my birthday with VS in Y. My wife must have mentioned it to one of the CC as it was announced on the screens of everyone's IFE and 2 different CC brought out 2 glasses of champagne. Lovely, esp as my wife doesn't drink it!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
Exactly the same tratment as a BAEC Gold cardholder.

A soldiers farewell.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
US immigration can be good on this - have had happy birthdays twice (yes, I know it's probably a way of checking things, but still!)
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Flew BA as a SCH on my 30th (yes, on purpose), CW to LAX. Nothing special happened, except a faulty AVOD system, which gave me 15000 Avios, and otherwise a great crew and flight.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:27 pm

I do think this is a rather charming question.

I am sure now that the OP knows there's nothing doing, s/he will be able to rustle up something themselves to mark the occasion.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On SQ you can order a special cake in advance.

Bringing a very small cake (or individual sized fancy pastries, for example from a French bakery) with plastic or paper plates and plastic utensils would be a fun treat. You could also plan some small wrapped gifts that won't cause problems with airport security.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
US immigration can be good on this - have had happy birthdays twice (yes, I know it's probably a way of checking things, but still!)
Yeah, I've had this too, and as someone who clings on to PETER01 Pan status with increasingly implausible credibility, it's highly annoying. One gal at CBP Nassau even sang it to me. TSA SFO wished me happy birthday about a week before hitting another milestone along this mortal coil. Thankfully BA do nothing (unless the iPad Greeter is particularly switched on, but I don't think they have the information either). CX allegedly try to upgrade their frequent flyers on their birthday but they take these things seriously here in Asia.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:47 pm

I once went to a restaurant in France where they played happy birthday for people so celebrating. By the time the fourth rendition played it was becoming deeply tedious.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AZAL Gold, TK Elite, KC Nomad Club Blue
Turkish offer an on-board birthday cake as a special meal, provided you book it in advance - no automatic recognition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.