Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: UK kids missing school for holiday

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster

OT: UK kids missing school for holiday

This isn't to do with BA exactly. I'm hoping UK flyertalkers could offer advice.

I'm trying to use my Avios to get my 12-year-old niece and both in-laws, all UK based, over to the US. I've tried to time it with her school break, but the availability I can find would have her missing 2 days of school. I was surprised when her parents said the UK has strict rules about kids missing school and they would be fined. Is this really the case? Is there any way to get permission to miss just 2 days? I'm sure she could make up some work on her flights. Does any forum flyertalker have experience taking their kid out of school for a few days? Is it a big deal to just pay the fine?--I would offer to pay it if her parents are OK incurring it.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Voila

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-25733272

Responsibilities are enshrined in law
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Parents can take kids out of school in term time, however this is at the discretion of the school.
If they refuse permission, taking them out is a criminal offence with a maximum sentence of 3 months in the big house. So probably not a great idea.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:44 am

I have a feeling the headmaster can grant permission in individual circumstances.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
It depends upon the local Education Authority.

I have taken my kids out of school for a few days, and have notified the school and had it logged as an "authorised absence", but I am in Scotland and you don't mention where the children are that you are discussing.

Another (entirely unethical) option is for the kids to contract a viral illness (or similar), precluding them from attending school for a few days.

I'm not specifically advocating this, but plenty of people do it !
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Rickers
It depends upon the local Education Authority.

I have taken my kids out of school for a few days, and have notified the school and had it logged as an "authorised absence", but I am in Scotland and you don't mention where the children are that you are discussing.

Another (entirely unethical) option is for the kids to contract a viral illness (or similar), precluding them from attending school for a few days.

I'm not specifically advocating this, but plenty of people do it !
I have noticed a similar phenomenon where parents seem to develop sudden viral illnesses during school holiday times.

Mind you if you believe Mr Goves, you are doing your kids a favour by removing them from state schools.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:54 am
Original Poster

My niece is in Lancaster, England. I don't really know how they interpret the "exceptional circumstances" requirement. She is an excellent student that rarely misses school, so she has that going in her favor.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
The law was changed last year, until then the Head could use discretion as noted by some below, now they can not except in exceptional circumstances. The rules specifically state that holidays are not exceptional circumstances, such being preserved for bereavement etc.

The schools near us will now absolutely not permit any holidays in term time. This is due, we are informed, to the possibility the local authority could discipline the head if they broke the rules to the point they won't budge an inch now.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usually sat at the back
The law was changed last year, until then the Head could use discretion, now they can not except in exceptional circumstances. The rules specifically state that holidays are not exceptional circumstances.

The schools near us will now absolutely not permit any holidays in term time. This is due, we are informed, to the possibility the local authority could discipline the head if they broke the rules to the point they won't budge an inch now.
Wow! That is unbelievably strict. I'll ask her parents how they'd feel about calling in sick for her for 2 days. There seems to be no other way for her to legally miss school.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
Evidence suggests that parents continue to flout the rules, in spite of legislative change and increased application of fines: Grauniad.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
or they could just pay for the "school holiday tax" ie. just pay the fee/fine.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:21 pm

Well, if revan is right, returning to the States in the future could be problematic for your in-laws with a criminal record...

Originally Posted by revan
Parents can take kids out of school in term time, however this is at the discretion of the school.
If they refuse permission, taking them out is a criminal offence with a maximum sentence of 3 months in the big house. So probably not a great idea.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usually sat at the back
or they could just pay for the "school holiday tax" ie. just pay the fee/fine.
True. Is it 60 pounds per day per parent? Some sources I see say the fine is 60 pounds, I figured it must be per day. Then in the article linked above it says the fine is per parent also.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Well, if revan is right, returning to the States in the future could be problematic for your in-laws with a criminal record...
I don't think my in-laws would get the criminal record, as she lives with her parents. I don't have enough Avios for 5 to come over. Still, I would not want to do anything resulting in her parents having a criminal record.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Montacute
She is an excellent student that rarely misses school, so she has that going in her favor.
From another angle, you could say why threaten that excellence by removing some of her education? The rules are there for a reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.