FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   How was your domestic flight today in the 'storm'? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1551856-how-your-domestic-flight-today-storm.html)

BHDATC Feb 14, 2014 9:50 am

How was your domestic flight today in the 'storm'?

Flew LHR-BHD today and I have to say even as someone who flies 2-4 times per week domestically and through Europe, my heart was in my mouth.

Boarded and the captain stated that it was a 'great day for flying' as soon as we got out above the weather. He stated that it would be a bit bumpy on approach due to 30-35mph winds at BHD from the East.

Departed and for the first 10 minutes it was relatively smooth with just some light chop. We never did break through the weather. We reached 36000ft and the turbulence was heavy. Didn't see blue sky for the entire 60 minutes. Cabin Crew were asked to return to their stations where they remained. The seat belt sign didn't go out for the entire flight. Quite a number of nervous flyers were in visible distress and one lady made good use of her sick bag and had to hold it until 10 minutes before landing.

Approach was dreadful with thick dense cloud and large movements as the aircraft tried to ride the weather. Captain, to his credit, was on 5 or 6 times apologising and stating that he tried both higher and lower altitudes for smooth flight but the verdict from both ATC and other aircraft ahead was there was none to be found.

Landing was terrible as crosswinds at BHD were fierce. He made a good heavy landing and no go around was required - and for that I am thankful as the last place I wanted to go was back into that sky.

Worst flight I have had in years.

SEAtackled Feb 14, 2014 9:52 am

I don't mind the bumps so much. If I'm feeling weightless then I'd be concerned. Sounds like a wild ride. Glad you made it through ok.

BHDATC Feb 14, 2014 9:53 am

I don't mind bumps so much myself, it was the violent shudders and heavy banking that lasted for 20 minutes of the cruise and most of the descent. There was no rest bite.

Crew handled it very well indeed. Captain being so vocal made a difference. The aircraft took a hammering.

simonrp84 Feb 14, 2014 10:07 am

Interesting that you say you never left the cloud at 36,000ft. That's about 3,000ft higher than where the estimated cloud tops were.
Not that I'm doubting you, I'm doubting the estimate! Not very common to have so much bad cloud up there - but at least it makes a change from 60kt winds :)

Justonemore Feb 14, 2014 10:09 am

I tend to fly a similar amount to the OP (mainly within the US) and for some reason I find with every year that passes I become less comfortable in flight whenever there is turbulence.

The strange thing is I know there is no correlation between turbulence and 'bad things happening' but it really makes me uncomfortable - strangely enough even more so over oceans. It has actually put me off the LCY service as have heard that it can get a bit bumpier.

Anyone have this strange paradox of loving the concept of flying, doing so regularly but on bumpy flights feeling uncomfortable (more so that those who rarely fly)? Not sure what i'd do without the pre-flight bubbles!

LTN Phobia Feb 14, 2014 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Justonemore (Post 22348620)
Anyone have this strange paradox of loving the concept of flying, doing so regularly but on bumpy flights feeling uncomfortable (more so that those who rarely fly)? Not sure what i'd do without the pre-flight bubbles!

I do not love flying as a passenger but I dislike turbulence only because of the potential smell, sound and sight of barf and trying not to spill any drink. I do not mind the turbulence if I were the only person on board or noone nearby except for the crew and the drinks had a lid :D

BHDATC Feb 14, 2014 10:36 am

Originally Posted by simonrp84 (Post 22348609)
Interesting that you say you never left the cloud at 36,000ft. That's about 3,000ft higher than where the estimated cloud tops were.
Not that I'm doubting you, I'm doubting the estimate! Not very common to have so much bad cloud up there - but at least it makes a change from 60kt winds :)

Captain came on and stated in the midst of us being buffeted from side to side that we had reached 36000 and he was waiting for clearance to 38000 as the air might be better above the cloud tops. It never materialised.

BHDATC Feb 14, 2014 10:39 am

I tend to fly a similar amount to the OP (mainly within the US) and for some reason I find with every year that passes I become less comfortable in flight whenever there is turbulence.

The strange thing is I know there is no correlation between turbulence and 'bad things happening' but it really makes me uncomfortable - strangely enough even more so over oceans. It has actually put me off the LCY service as have heard that it can get a bit bumpier.

That is me in a nutshell. I fly more than most on my flights and I am sometimes the most nervous looking when there is bad turbulence.

Final 3 Greens Feb 14, 2014 11:11 am

I took my first flight in 1976 and my first business flight in 1978. after about 10 years, I had a really nervous patch for a few years, after about 2-300 flights, it was completely irrational and lasted for several years, although it eased off and became only midly discomforting for a long time.

From about 2005 onwards, I've been completely fine again, now well into 4 figures of flights.

Hope yours is a spell and you get through it more quickly than me,

Final 3 Greens Feb 14, 2014 11:13 am

Originally Posted by BHDATC (Post 22348500)
Flew LHR-BHD today and I have to say even as someone who flies 2-4 times per week domestically and through Europe, my heart was in my mouth.

Boarded and the captain stated that it was a 'great day for flying' as soon as we got out above the weather. He stated that it would be a bit bumpy on approach due to 30-35mph winds at BHD from the East.

Departed and for the first 10 minutes it was relatively smooth with just some light chop. We never did break through the weather. We reached 36000ft and the turbulence was heavy. Didn't see blue sky for the entire 60 minutes. Cabin Crew were asked to return to their stations where they remained. The seat belt sign didn't go out for the entire flight. Quite a number of nervous flyers were in visible distress and one lady made good use of her sick bag and had to hold it until 10 minutes before landing.

Approach was dreadful with thick dense cloud and large movements as the aircraft tried to ride the weather. Captain, to his credit, was on 5 or 6 times apologising and stating that he tried both higher and lower altitudes for smooth flight but the verdict from both ATC and other aircraft ahead was there was none to be found.

Landing was terrible as crosswinds at BHD were fierce. He made a good heavy landing and no go around was required - and for that I am thankful as the last place I wanted to go was back into that sky.

Worst flight I have had in years.

That sounds like a horror show, glad you're safely on the ground.

Kgmm77 Feb 14, 2014 11:15 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_5 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B601 Safari/9537.53)

At a guess I've crossed the Irish Sea 400 odd times in the last 30 plus years. I've had more rough flights in the last 2 months than in the preceding 3 decades, including a couple such as the OPs where turbulence was present for the whole flight and it felt like being in a tumble dryer. Not as violent as some transatlantic or south East Asian turbulence but just relentless.

Bring on spring, if it ever comes.

BHDATC Feb 14, 2014 11:34 am

It's been a long long winter for those of us doing twice weekly BHD hops.

Prospero Feb 14, 2014 12:31 pm

Very bumpy on final approach into LHR at around 17:00 today. Our 767 was in good hands though. Despite being pulled and pushed in all directions, with careful throttle control we landed delicately on the southern runway. Massively impressed by the skills of those in command of the flight deck today.

Beforehand, over the midlands our ride was very choppy as we cut through the jet stream.

sigma421 Feb 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Still waiting for the 2100 BA1464 to Edinburgh. Flight is only 30 minutes late so far but the departure board looks distinctly un-promising.

martin102 Feb 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Heathrow weather

From flight radar looks like a lot of circling and a few go a rounds. Pretty much no landings at the moment.