UuA Discrepancy?

Old Feb 11, 14, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
UuA Discrepancy?

I recently upgraded from WTP to CW (LHR-BKK) - C.15k and 96.40, however when I upgraded from WTP to CW (LHR-SIN) - C.17.5k and 41.

Was I overcharged in the first instance or is there another reason for the difference?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by the_seeker1977; Feb 12, 14 at 5:41 am
Old Feb 11, 14, 10:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
The YQ difference is 41 for both flights, but BKK is Zone 6, and SIN is Zone 7. So, the additional Avios looks correct, but there is something else going on with the cash for BKK...
Old Feb 11, 14, 10:34 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
LHR-BKK WTP YQ = 138
LHR-BKK CW YQ = 179.5
Difference = 41.5

LHR-SIN WTP YQ = 138
LHR-SIN CW YQ = 179.5
Difference = 41.5

Where was your LHR-BKK ticketed? Is it a straight LHR-BKK return or starting elsewhere?
Old Feb 11, 14, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux View Post
LHR-BKK WTP YQ = 138
LHR-BKK CW YQ = 179.5
Difference = 41.5

LHR-SIN WTP YQ = 138
LHR-SIN CW YQ = 179.5
Difference = 41.5

Where was your LHR-BKK ticketed? Is it a straight LHR-BKK return or starting elsewhere?
LHR-BKK was ticketed via the UK call centre, the trip was LHR-BKK (stopover), BKK-SYD (stopover), SYD-LHR.

Many thanks
Old Feb 11, 14, 11:20 am

Sounds like they've charged you 2x the additional YQ, for LHR-BKK and BKK-SYD...
Old Feb 11, 14, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Teece View Post
Sounds like they've charged you 2x the additional YQ, for LHR-BKK and BKK-SYD...
The chap, whilst helpful was very confused by the whole upgrade, I couldn't upgrade online so had to call the call centre.

Is it worth contacting the call centre again and asking them to recheck the price (after the event)?
Old Feb 12, 14, 2:42 am

No harm in calling, certainly.
Old Feb 12, 14, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
It always annoys me that it can be practically impossible yo get a detailed receipt showing a breakdown of charges in situations like this which could be easily checked. I have had similar issues with changing a booking and fee recalculation.
Old Feb 12, 14, 5:40 am
Original Poster

I just called BA, the agent believes the value is correct but has referred it to the e-ticketing guys so I should hear something in the next couple of days.

I just double checked, I was charged 96.40 so I wonder if I was charged 2x41 + the 15 offline fee?

I'll post an update when I hear...
Old Feb 12, 14, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
It always annoys me that it can be practically impossible yo get a detailed receipt showing a breakdown of charges in situations like this which could be easily checked.
On a related point - do others here ever get receipts of any sort for the charges for UUA when doing it by phone? I am always asked if I want a receipt sent to the email address associated with the booking, and always say yes, but I've never received one.
Old Feb 12, 14, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cziwkga View Post
On a related point - do others here ever get receipts of any sort for the charges for UUA when doing it by phone? I am always asked if I want a receipt sent to the email address associated with the booking, and always say yes, but I've never received one.
Yes, although there is usually a wait of days, weeks or months (depending on how far away the flight is) before the ticket is re-issued and a new e-ticket receipt email is sent to me. Plus this new one is often in text form rather than HTML, which ends up being more difficult to read.

But once the e-ticket has been reissued (which can be monitored via classic.checkmytrip.com), it should normally be possible to get ba.com MMB to send you a new e-ticket receipt email, or to display one that you can print / print to PDF.
Old Feb 12, 14, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Yes, although there is usually a wait of days, weeks or months (depending on how far away the flight is) before the ticket is re-issued and a new e-ticket receipt email is sent to me. Plus this new one is often in text form rather than HTML, which ends up being more difficult to read.

But once the e-ticket has been reissued (which can be monitored via classic.checkmytrip.com), it should normally be possible to get ba.com MMB to send you a new e-ticket receipt email, or to display one that you can print / print to PDF.
Thanks. I don't think I've ever received a new e-ticket email, but I've only ever done this within a few days of departure. and the change shows up in MMB within minutes. It never occurred to me to use MMB to send a new receipt email. I don't need them - work pays for the base fare, I pay for the upgrade, so I only need the original receipt - but I found it odd that I never get one. I'll know in future!
Old Mar 17, 14, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Update on this - I never received a call back from the BA E-ticket guys, after emailing BA Customer Service I was told this couldn't be resolved via that forum....they have advised me to write a letter!

I'll provide another update when I finally get a response.
Old Mar 17, 14, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cziwkga View Post
I don't think I've ever received a new e-ticket email, but I've only ever done this within a few days of departure. and the change shows up in MMB within minutes.
The reservation change will always show up in MMB immediately, because the reservation is confirmed immediately.

However, you do have to wait until the ticket is re-issued before you can get an accurate new ticket receipt from MMB. As I said, I find that the best way of monitoring that is to use classic.checkmytrip.com.
Old Mar 17, 14, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the_seeker1977 View Post
I just double checked, I was charged 96.40 so I wonder if I was charged 2x41 + the 15 offline fee?
Originally Posted by the_seeker1977 View Post
Update on this - I never received a call back from the BA E-ticket guys, after emailing BA Customer Service I was told this couldn't be resolved via that forum....they have advised me to write a letter!
A letter is sometimes the best way of dealing with this sort of problem.

I don't think you've said who/what/how your BKK-SYD flight was booked. Were you in QF in Y? One possibility (building on Teece's thoughts) for a sum getting close to 96.40 is this:-

LHR-BKK on BA in W: 138.00
BKK-SYD on QF in Y: 105.00 --> Total 243.00

LHR-BKK on BA in J: 179.50
BKK-SYD on QF in J: 155.00 --> Total 334.50

Difference = 91.50

Obviously you should only have paid the extra YQ for the sectors actually upgraded, so it does rather sound like you have been overcharged.

Unfortunately, recent personal experience suggests that the process for calculating and charging the extra YQ on a UuA seems to be rather haphazard. I've got used to being able to tell the agent in advance what the correct amount should be, because I can work it out faster than they can. And even then, the final ticket receipts don't always accurately reflect what's been charged, even when the amount charged is correct.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: