FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   UuA Discrepancy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1550806-uua-discrepancy.html)

the_seeker1977 Feb 11, 2014 9:19 am

UuA Discrepancy?

I recently upgraded from WTP to CW (LHR-BKK) - C.15k and £96.40, however when I upgraded from WTP to CW (LHR-SIN) - C.17.5k and £41.

Was I overcharged in the first instance or is there another reason for the difference?

Thanks in advance

Teece Feb 11, 2014 9:29 am

The YQ difference is £41 for both flights, but BKK is Zone 6, and SIN is Zone 7. So, the additional Avios looks correct, but there is something else going on with the cash for BKK...

nux Feb 11, 2014 9:34 am

LHR-BKK WTP YQ = £138
LHR-BKK CW YQ = £179.5
Difference = £41.5

LHR-SIN WTP YQ = £138
LHR-SIN CW YQ = £179.5
Difference = £41.5

Where was your LHR-BKK ticketed? Is it a straight LHR-BKK return or starting elsewhere?

the_seeker1977 Feb 11, 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 22328583)
LHR-BKK WTP YQ = £138
LHR-BKK CW YQ = £179.5
Difference = £41.5

LHR-SIN WTP YQ = £138
LHR-SIN CW YQ = £179.5
Difference = £41.5

Where was your LHR-BKK ticketed? Is it a straight LHR-BKK return or starting elsewhere?

LHR-BKK was ticketed via the UK call centre, the trip was LHR-BKK (stopover), BKK-SYD (stopover), SYD-LHR.

Many thanks

Teece Feb 11, 2014 10:20 am

Sounds like they've charged you 2x the additional YQ, for LHR-BKK and BKK-SYD...

the_seeker1977 Feb 11, 2014 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Teece (Post 22328892)
Sounds like they've charged you 2x the additional YQ, for LHR-BKK and BKK-SYD...

The chap, whilst helpful was very confused by the whole upgrade, I couldn't upgrade online so had to call the call centre.

Is it worth contacting the call centre again and asking them to recheck the price (after the event)?

Teece Feb 12, 2014 1:42 am

No harm in calling, certainly.

Land-of-Miles Feb 12, 2014 2:06 am

It always annoys me that it can be practically impossible yo get a detailed receipt showing a breakdown of charges in situations like this which could be easily checked. I have had similar issues with changing a booking and fee recalculation.

the_seeker1977 Feb 12, 2014 4:40 am

I just called BA, the agent believes the value is correct but has referred it to the e-ticketing guys so I should hear something in the next couple of days.

I just double checked, I was charged £96.40 so I wonder if I was charged 2x£41 + the £15 offline fee?

I'll post an update when I hear...

cziwkga Feb 12, 2014 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles (Post 22333651)
It always annoys me that it can be practically impossible yo get a detailed receipt showing a breakdown of charges in situations like this which could be easily checked.

On a related point - do others here ever get receipts of any sort for the charges for UUA when doing it by phone? I am always asked if I want a receipt sent to the email address associated with the booking, and always say yes, but I've never received one.

Globaliser Feb 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by cziwkga (Post 22336978)
On a related point - do others here ever get receipts of any sort for the charges for UUA when doing it by phone? I am always asked if I want a receipt sent to the email address associated with the booking, and always say yes, but I've never received one.

Yes, although there is usually a wait of days, weeks or months (depending on how far away the flight is) before the ticket is re-issued and a new e-ticket receipt email is sent to me. Plus this new one is often in text form rather than HTML, which ends up being more difficult to read.

But once the e-ticket has been reissued (which can be monitored via classic.checkmytrip.com), it should normally be possible to get ba.com MMB to send you a new e-ticket receipt email, or to display one that you can print / print to PDF.

cziwkga Feb 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 22337878)
Yes, although there is usually a wait of days, weeks or months (depending on how far away the flight is) before the ticket is re-issued and a new e-ticket receipt email is sent to me. Plus this new one is often in text form rather than HTML, which ends up being more difficult to read.

But once the e-ticket has been reissued (which can be monitored via classic.checkmytrip.com), it should normally be possible to get ba.com MMB to send you a new e-ticket receipt email, or to display one that you can print / print to PDF.

Thanks. I don't think I've ever received a new e-ticket email, but I've only ever done this within a few days of departure. and the change shows up in MMB within minutes. It never occurred to me to use MMB to send a new receipt email. I don't need them - work pays for the base fare, I pay for the upgrade, so I only need the original receipt - but I found it odd that I never get one. I'll know in future!

the_seeker1977 Mar 17, 2014 5:06 am

Update on this - I never received a call back from the BA E-ticket guys, after emailing BA Customer Service I was told this couldn't be resolved via that forum....they have advised me to write a letter!

I'll provide another update when I finally get a response.

Globaliser Mar 17, 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by cziwkga (Post 22338211)
I don't think I've ever received a new e-ticket email, but I've only ever done this within a few days of departure. and the change shows up in MMB within minutes.

The reservation change will always show up in MMB immediately, because the reservation is confirmed immediately.

However, you do have to wait until the ticket is re-issued before you can get an accurate new ticket receipt from MMB. As I said, I find that the best way of monitoring that is to use classic.checkmytrip.com.

Globaliser Mar 17, 2014 8:49 am

Originally Posted by the_seeker1977 (Post 22334020)
I just double checked, I was charged £96.40 so I wonder if I was charged 2x£41 + the £15 offline fee?

Originally Posted by the_seeker1977 (Post 22537360)
Update on this - I never received a call back from the BA E-ticket guys, after emailing BA Customer Service I was told this couldn't be resolved via that forum....they have advised me to write a letter!

A letter is sometimes the best way of dealing with this sort of problem.

I don't think you've said who/what/how your BKK-SYD flight was booked. Were you in QF in Y? One possibility (building on Teece's thoughts) for a sum getting close to £96.40 is this:-

LHR-BKK on BA in W: £138.00
BKK-SYD on QF in Y: £105.00 --> Total £243.00

LHR-BKK on BA in J: £179.50
BKK-SYD on QF in J: £155.00 --> Total £334.50

Difference = £91.50

Obviously you should only have paid the extra YQ for the sectors actually upgraded, so it does rather sound like you have been overcharged.

Unfortunately, recent personal experience suggests that the process for calculating and charging the extra YQ on a UuA seems to be rather haphazard. I've got used to being able to tell the agent in advance what the correct amount should be, because I can work it out faster than they can. And even then, the final ticket receipts don't always accurately reflect what's been charged, even when the amount charged is correct.