F 747 or 777

Old Feb 10, 14, 12:10 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hull
Programs: Ba gold
Posts: 108
F 747 or 777

Good morning all, I'm about to make my first ever booking in F using an Amex 2 for 1 , is there any difference in product between the 747 and the 777 ? I must admit I really like the idea of going upstairs on the jumbo jet , thanks in advance for any help.
darrencobb is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 12:29 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ARN
Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,533
Well, if you are looking for upstairs F, you are out of luck. BA has CW on upper deck on their 747's...
agehall is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 12:33 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
Posts: 3,877
F on 777 has more space per seat then F on 747.
More Champagne Sir? is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 12:50 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,804
Upstairs on the 747 is Club World only, not First. If you've never done it and 747 CW is available on your chosen route, I wouldn't rule it out in place of F. You could even do CW be way and F the other.

There's more space in F on the 777 than the 747, but the 747 feels a little more exclusive in the nose of the 747 than in the 777 which tends to have more foot traffic.

Another factor to consider is the route and whether your 747 is guaranteed to have New First. All the 777s now have NF, but some of the midJ 747s still have the more dated Old First product. With the latter though, you'd be eligible for 50,000 Avios per person compensation.....
Corpt is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 1:44 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,798
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? View Post
F on 777 has more space per seat then F on 747.
True. Lots of reports here favor F on the 777. But there is also something appealing about the nose of a 747. 1A/1K is a nice treat, but the OP can't select that until close to departure, the other 747 pairs aren't well liked.

Considering the guarantee of NF and the increased space, I would choose the 777.
will2288 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 2:10 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,721
Always choose BA F in a 777 over a 744, the product just works much better. I would also say the same for CX F too.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 2:42 am
  #7  
uk1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 11,969
I take totally the opposite view .. the final straw being a few days ago when the CC traffic on the K aisle was so heavy throughout the flight that rest was virtually impossible for too much of the 14 hours flight for a number of pax. Even with earplugs under Bose headphones gave little immunity.

It became clear that the forward galley became both the dining and social meeting area for the crew, and for some reason this also seemed to involve constant trips between the forward and aft galley to slam cupboard doors. This doesn't happen on the 744 . This was a MF crew and the CSM seemed absent.

This has been my most extreme experience of this type but as a reasonable generalisation a 744 F cabin will be quieter than a 777 F cabin. So the trade off in my view is a bit more space and better IFE against a more exclusive quieter environment. I am doing everything I can do to avoid 777 on our next and all future flights.
uk1 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 3:20 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: A metal nomad
Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Posts: 21,711
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
I take totally the opposite view .. the final straw being a few days ago when the CC traffic on the K aisle was so heavy throughout the flight that rest was virtually impossible for too much of the 14 hours flight for a number of pax. Even with earplugs under Bose headphones gave little immunity.

It became clear that the forward galley became both the dining and social meeting area for the crew, and for some reason this also seemed to involve constant trips between the forward and aft galley to slam cupboard doors. This doesn't happen on the 744 . This was a MF crew and the CSM seemed absent.

This has been my most extreme experience of this type but as a reasonable generalisation a 744 F cabin will be quieter than a 777 F cabin. So the trade off in my view is a bit more space and better IFE against a more exclusive quieter environment. I am doing everything I can do to avoid 777 on our next and all future flights.

I always the 777, to the point where if I have a choice I would take another airline. Too noisy, as you mentioned, and not enough privacy.
Yahillwe is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 4:28 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Posts: 1,881
I disagree. I hated F on a 777. I was lucky enough to get 1A in a 747, the best flight Ive ever had.
GodAtum is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 4:38 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,130
777 F is significantlly better. fact, end of story.
Abstract1 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 4:55 am
  #11  
uk1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 11,969
Originally Posted by Abstract1 View Post
777 F is significantlly better. fact, end of story.
Very useful.

uk1 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 5:01 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: A metal nomad
Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Posts: 21,711
Originally Posted by Abstract1 View Post
777 F is significantlly better. fact, end of story.
Am glad that you like it. I don't.
Yahillwe is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 5:17 am
  #13  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 12,706
Originally Posted by Abstract1 View Post
777 F is significantlly better. fact, end of story.
I agree, much more spacious. Although the B744 ain't that bad ... if in row 1 or 2. I find every other seat either claustrophobic or without adequate privacy.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 5:27 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: A metal nomad
Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Posts: 21,711
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
I agree, much more spacious. Although the B744 ain't that bad ... if in row 1 or 2. I find every other seat either claustrophobic or without adequate privacy.
Am not going to argue with you, may all your routes have the 777 and our destinations don't cross.

You take your plane/seat. I take my plane/seat.
Yahillwe is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 5:29 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
Posts: 3,796
The correct answer is, of course, A380...
darthlemsip is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: