Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F 747 or 777

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
747, only row 1 would be my preference - apart from folks wanting access to the wardrobe, negligible traffic and a fine solo Flying experience.

777, seemed more spacious to me, but crew traffic can sometimes be an issue. I'd avoid rows 1 and 4, preferring row 2 or 3

Don't forget, F is a fine place to be.

YMMV
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Smile

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Am not going to argue with you, may all your routes have the 777 and our destinations don't cross.

You take your plane/seat. I take my plane/seat.

My routes have been B747 heavy of late - IAD, JFK, LAS and LAX. Fortunately IAD is now B777 (soon to include the A380 ) and LAX of course has the A380 (although I have hit the B747 a few times).

I'll be returning via JFK in a few weeks, 1A is taken - so I'm in 1K ... I wonder if you're in 1A? Hope so, see you in the CCR for dinner
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:46 am

For the first time F , I would recommend the 747. It's more private and feels more like "first". But for general, I would prefer the 777.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Gold
Any differences in 777 product?

Apologies to OP for follow up question but I'm flying F JFK-LHR and according to MMB it has 12F seats. My reading of this is that it's a 777-200 - is that right? Also is there any variation in onboard product between the variants of the 777 series? I know the IFE system could be one of them. It would be interesting to get people's opinion on if 777-type changes your view on the 'would I fly F in a 777 or 747' debate. Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by JonTY1
Apologies to OP for follow up question but I'm flying F JFK-LHR and according to MMB it has 12F seats. My reading of this is that it's a 777-200 - is that right? Also is there any variation in onboard product between the variants of the 777 series? I know the IFE system could be one of them. It would be interesting to get people's opinion on if 777-type changes your view on the 'would I fly F in a 777 or 747' debate. Thanks.
That's a nice aircraft, I'd look at seats on the K side of the aircraft - nice and quiet and only two K seats.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

My routes have been B747 heavy of late - IAD, JFK, LAS and LAX. Fortunately IAD is now B777 (soon to include the A380 ) and LAX of course has the A380 (although I have hit the B747 a few times).

I'll be returning via JFK in a few weeks, 1A is taken - so I'm in 1K ... I wonder if you're in 1A? Hope so, see you in the CCR for dinner
Have not flown west since early Nov, and am itching to go. Was about to book for this coming wknd, but for having family arrive, otherwise I would have gone to NY. BUT, I will be going soon to JFK and April LAX. And most probably YOU will be taking my seats since I am just a mere gold, lost all the other stuff. Oh well, more money in my pocket and less for the BA and its share holders.

One day, we should meet. Let me know when you are going next to JFK and we can synchronize it with CIHY.

CCR is always breakfast for me. Rarely lunch and have not down dinner there. Though I love going to GC and getting the indian food, yes even for breakfast.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Feb 10, 2014 at 5:43 am Reason: Can't figure out my east from west.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That's a nice aircraft, I'd look at seats on the K side of the aircraft - nice and quiet and only two K seats.
2K is a fab seat on that aircraft and you will have zero traffic up the K aisle.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:18 am

I will be going soon to JFK and April LAX. And most probably YOU will be taking my seats since I am just a mere gold, lost all the other stuff. Oh well, more money in my pocket and less for the BA and its share holders.
We went through all this a couple of weeks ago... you have Gold locked down for the whole of 2014, and access to 1A/K from the time of booking. Additional status won't help with your seat reservations at all.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The only airline I am aware that has F "upstairs" is LH

Seats aside, tne important point I find is that F toilets on a 747 is very much larger than 777; important if you need to change in and out of PJs. Having said that AA has one J toilet on this 777-300 that is 75%larger than BA's F toilets.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
2K is a fab seat on that aircraft and you will have zero traffic up the K aisle.
"Fab"? Maybe in an Ab Fab kind if way but certainly not fabulous!

Originally Posted by KenJohn
The only airline I am aware that has F "upstairs" is LH

Seats aside, tne important point I find is that F toilets on a 747 is very much larger than 777; important if you need to change in and out of PJs. Having said that AA has one J toilet on this 777-300 that is 75%larger than BA's F toilets.
Toilets at a ratio of 6/7 to 1 are not larger. Possibly a tiny bit less small but large is not an appropriate descriptor!

777 is CW+ with crew tramping up and down in your very in private (but very nice) seat. I think I have heard them referred to as suites and that they are not.

In the747 the further forward you are the more private it is as there is less foot traffic. I only really use the call bell when in row 1 or 2 as there is no chance of "catching" a FA as they pass.

Go for 747.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-vs-744-f.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...777-747-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...777-747-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...747-777-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...7-f-class.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-vs-777-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...747-777-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-toronto.html
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
The correct answer is, of course, A380...
Indeed, I'm considering certain routings through LAX to experience F on BA A380
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold
Thanks very much everybody, the longest route I can find with 2 seats available is Houston which involves the 747 I think, the 50,000 avios per person compo for old first sounds good as its 150,000 for 2 pax on that route, the other route I was looking at was Washington which is 777 and 30,000 avios less for 2 pax, ideally I'd like either Phoenix or San Francisco but there is only 1 seat available in first so mrs Cobb would miss out !
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by 710 77345
We went through all this a couple of weeks ago... you have Gold locked down for the whole of 2014, and access to 1A/K from the time of booking. Additional status won't help with your seat reservations at all.
You are very correct. Just this brain of mine at times doesn't work. And I need reminding. And thanks to you, I always am. Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:08 am

Have not flown west since early Nov, and am itching to go. Was about to book for this coming wknd, but for having family arrive, otherwise I would have gone to NY. BUT, I will be going soon to JFK and April LAX. And most probably YOU will be taking my seats since I am just a mere gold, lost all the other stuff. Oh well, more money in my pocket and less for the BA and its share holders.

One day, we should meet. Let me know when you are going next to JFK and we can synchronize it with CIHY.

CCR is always breakfast for me. Rarely lunch and have not down dinner there. Though I love going to GC and getting the indian food, yes even for breakfast.
I'll PM you later when I have a little more time ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.