Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Calchas
But (unless I have this wrong), won't the doors be open at some point to allow DUB->Intl connections?
Again that I guess will the same as the UK Domestic equivalent: the door will normally be closed during DUB arrivals, a HAL member of staff will check the boarding pass or other travel documents to confirm onward travel, and then open the door for each passenger after their bona fides have been checked.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Again that I guess will the same as the UK Domestic equivalent: the door will normally be closed during DUB arrivals, a HAL member of staff will check the boarding pass or other travel documents to confirm onward travel, and then open the door for each passenger after their bona fides have been checked.
If the plan is to route international passengers through normal T5 flight connections then it is probably well worth heading via UK Connections. I thought they might have taken the DUB international connecting passengers straight in to T5 departures.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I thought they might have taken the DUB international connecting passengers straight in to T5 departures.
They need security screening, though.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the plan is to route international passengers through normal T5 flight connections then it is probably well worth heading via UK Connections. I thought they might have taken the DUB international connecting passengers straight in to T5 departures.
A little lame they didn't treat all DUB passengers as the same as domestic. There could be a small (usually unmanned) customs point for hand luggage carriers to announce anything.

Domestic baggage claim should have a customs point anyway for the occasional Intl->MAN->LHR check through.

The real reason I suppose is the paranoid security where even DUB arrivals are considered contaminated. Is this because DUB screening is untrusted or is it possible to enter DUB from a connection unscreened?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
They need security screening, though.
Do they need it?

Given our open borders with our Irish friends and neighbours, I did think DUB would be treated as BHD and other DOMs and would be shepherded direct to airside departures.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they need it?

Given our open borders with our Irish friends and neighbours, I did think DUB would be treated as BHD and other DOMs and would be shepherded direct to airside departures.
I suppose the screening is not performed under the inspection of HMG so it cannot be good enough for departing our airports (fine to arrive of course).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Do they need it?

Fair enough re my loose use of language.

AIUI, DUB arrivals are required to be security screened before their next flight, and this is one of the reasons for the convoluted set-up in the UK/Ireland section at T1.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Fair enough re my loose use of language.

AIUI, DUB arrivals are required to be security screened before their next flight, and this is one of the reasons for the convoluted set-up in the UK/Ireland section at T1.
Yup. UK government being silly again IMO.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by Calchas
I suppose the screening is not performed under the inspection of HMG so it cannot be good enough for departing our airports
I find this particularly amusing as the current UK/Europe passenger screening standards generally follow what is 'suggested' by our American friends should we wish to have direct flights to the USA.

DUB screening is however trusted enough by the TSA for US precleared passengers to connect as 'clean' domestic traffic when landing in the US. Yes, there is secondary screening after US preclearance, but its only function seems to be to enforce the removal of shoes which is a US only requirement.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by father_ted
DUB screening is however trusted enough by the TSA for US precleared passengers to connect as 'clean' domestic traffic when landing in the US. Yes, there is secondary screening after US preclearance, but its only function seems to be to enforce the removal of shoes which is a US only requirement.
But the implementation of the TSA-operated screening (which is conducted in a much more dour manner than the general DUB screening outside) implies that DUB screening is not considered good enough for US arrivals.

2 years ago, security screening at DUB failed an EU audit, meaning transferring passengers had to be re-screened at their EU airport of transfer.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But the implementation of the TSA-operated screening (which is conducted in a much more dour manner than the general DUB screening outside) implies that DUB screening is not considered good enough for US arrivals.
Every time I have been through USPC in DUB the additional screening is operated by the same private contractor as the general DUB screening. Unless something has changed in the last few months, the staff are friendly and the screening not particularly intrusive. Removal of shoes seems to be its only function.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
2 years ago, security screening at DUB failed an EU audit, meaning transferring passengers had to be re-screened at their EU airport of transfer.
Edit: after re-reading that article:
The Department insisted that neither [security deficiency] relates to the screening of ordinary passengers or luggage.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
HMG regards all foreigners as incompetent re security - hence the re-screen.

IF only the British hadn't ballsed up the relationship with our Irish cousins over the last few hundred years...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Since September I have been travelling weekly to Dublin with BA. I’ve often wondered why we always go to the same gate and increasingly regularly by bus!

Having read this thread, am I correct in saying the only reason Dublin has a special gate is so that they can transfer to t5 departures directly without having to clear customs?

Surely they can just land as a domestic flight flight and declare security that way?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MrPrice16
Having read this thread, am I correct in saying the only reason Dublin has a special gate is so that they can transfer to t5 departures directly without having to clear customs?

Surely they can just land as a domestic flight flight and declare security that way?
Not quite, you hypothetically have to clear Customs (for whatever isn't covered by the Single Market, not much!) but you don't have to clear Immigration since you're already in the Common Travel Area. Hence the use of door 23 which was constructed to avoid the UK Border, but still takes you down to baggage reclaim and out via the not heavily staff Customs hall.
MrPrice16 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by MrPrice16
Since September I have been travelling weekly to Dublin with BA. ….

Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland, not part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, therefore this is not considered domestic.

Belfast however….

There are some people in Belfast who want to be part of the Republic. I am not sure how it would sit with them if Dublin was to be considered a part of the UK and treated as a domestic flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.