Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Walsh said Dublin and Belfast flights are moving to T5

Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Nope, see my initial post above.
Sorry, missed that one. Will there be more stands capable of managing domestic arrivals or is this just the photo stuff being installed in more places?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:29 am

I'm not sure of the exact details, but external work is being undertaken on stands at T5A so I assume it's the former.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by stifle
Not before time!

BHD was never an issue; DUB can in the worst case be dealt with the same way as at LGW by treating as international arrival (so using gates A7 or A19) and then having a little side lane taking people past UKBA on showing their inward boarding passes. The more sensible thing to do would be for the DfT to inspect DUB's security and certify it meets the UK's standards, then take people in to the low A-gates. Outbound, DUB flights would need to have biometrics taken.
Great news, and further reassurance that both routes are here to stay!

Nothing needed for BHD to move, assuming capacity is there.

Not much needed for DUB either. They could:
A) land the DUB flights as a domestic and disallow transfer pax from using the direct entry into departures - they would have to go landside and reclear security as in T1. There should be a customs red phone in UK arrivals anyway, as you could be transferring via another UK port without clearing customs until you get bags at the end (unlikely but possible!)
B) use the highest number domestic gate and land terminating pax into the domestic hall, while transfer pax use international flight connections route (might require a few doors to be adjusted)
C) land DUB as an international and use biometric / photographic security on arrival as LGW domestics used to.

Next on wish list: BA BHD to LGW to replace BE!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by bd95

Next on wish list: BA BHD to LGW to replace BE!
Oh yes that would be great. Maybe three rotations a day. One can dream
I miss the BA DUB-LGW route. That was a great service back in the day.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by bd95
Not much needed for DUB either. They could:
A) land the DUB flights as a domestic and disallow transfer pax from using the direct entry into departures - they would have to go landside and reclear security as in T1. There should be a customs red phone in UK arrivals anyway, as you could be transferring via another UK port without clearing customs until you get bags at the end (unlikely but possible!)
B) use the highest number domestic gate and land terminating pax into the domestic hall, while transfer pax use international flight connections route (might require a few doors to be adjusted)
C) land DUB as an international and use biometric / photographic security on arrival as LGW domestics used to.
The problem with A is that there could be mixture of DUB and domestic arriving passengers at the same time and presumably if they mix together the domestic passengers become "contaminated" and have to reclear security.

For B, you have the same issue as A and also that domestic arrivals have the option to go through to departures without security on showing a BP, so someone could claim they're not transferring and then continue through to departures without being rescreened.

As for C, they don't have any photographic security like that at the south terminal in LGW, just show a boarding pass from the CTA and you're away.

I think they're probably building something new as BApilotinsider says.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
The problem with A is that there could be mixture of DUB and domestic arriving passengers at the same time and presumably if they mix together the domestic passengers become "contaminated" and have to reclear security.

For B, you have the same issue as A and also that domestic arrivals have the option to go through to departures without security on showing a BP, so someone could claim they're not transferring and then continue through to departures without being rescreened.

As for C, they don't have any photographic security like that at the south terminal in LGW, just show a boarding pass from the CTA and you're away.

I think they're probably building something new as BApilotinsider says.
Ah, forgot they only ask for onward BPs at the domestic transfer point. Could a flag be put on the onward BPs? And yes in T1 ROI arrivals are kept separate from domestic until after the opportunity to return airside has gone (baggage hall).

At the old domestic pier in LGW south, the BHD arrivals had a photo taken and barcode given which was checked on entry to the baggage hall. This was because the arrivals route crossed (for about 50 yards) onto a corridor continuous with the international departure lounge. Of course that's been demolished now and last time I arrived from BHD on EI we were bussed to a brand spanking new UK arrivals hall. Pray that doesn't happen at T5!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
On the face of it, good news, although I'm curious about what the end to end time from T5 to plane will be compared with T1. For example, I can arrive at T1 around 5.40-5.45 for my regular 6.35am to BHD and still get enough time in the lounge for a quick bowl of porridge and a coffee.

I'm guessing that more time will be needed at T5 to make that feasible? At that time of the morning, every extra minute in bed counts!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
T1 domestic lounge is shutting, t1 is losing flights a lot - bhd, dub, and tlv all moving. Are any moving out of t5?
Does anyone know about this? I think that'll be an extra 13 or so flights a day out of T5. Are any others moving to make way?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by ratechaser
On the face of it, good news, although I'm curious about what the end to end time from T5 to plane will be compared with T1. For example, I can arrive at T1 around 5.40-5.45 for my regular 6.35am to BHD and still get enough time in the lounge for a quick bowl of porridge and a coffee.

I'm guessing that more time will be needed at T5 to make that feasible? At that time of the morning, every extra minute in bed counts!
Well it depends on how you're arriving at T5. By train or tube it's maybe 5 minutes more, then it's around the same length of time to get to the departures floor at T1 and T5. At T1 you have the photo checkpoint and fast track security, then 5-10 minutes to the lounge depending on how busy the second photo checkpoint is, then 1-2 minutes from the lounge to gate 8. At T5 you go to the photo checkpoint and fast track north security from where it's all of 20 seconds to the north lounge and then maybe 3 minutes from the lounge to gates A1-7, unless it's A19 in which case 7 minutes. The second photo checkpoint is built into the boarding process.

Overall it seems like basically the same amount of time, but the one variable is conformance because at T5 if you scan your boarding pass at security a minute after six you'll be refused.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
This is great news for my semi regular GLA-LHR-BHD return trips to visit family. And the icing on the cake will be the ability to enjoy the T5 lounges rather than the tatty T1 domestic lounge.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
For those doing point to point staying in T1 until they shut it down would have some advantages, a nearly empty airport and closer to central London - 15 mins HEX, option of the connect, served by both the T4 and T5 tubes.

The few fond memories I had of the old T2 was when most of the other airlines had moved out. I had a couple of flights from there when LH/LX had moved out and it was such a different experience going through the terminal (the place was still a dump though and the AF lounge was dreadful).

Still for most people this will be great news, particularly as it sounds BA are doing things right and increasing the number of domestic capable gates. Connections will be a whole lot easier, particularly from BHD, no idea who they'll do flight connections from DUB.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Well it depends on how you're arriving at T5. By train or tube it's maybe 5 minutes more, then it's around the same length of time to get to the departures floor at T1 and T5. At T1 you have the photo checkpoint and fast track security, then 5-10 minutes to the lounge depending on how busy the second photo checkpoint is, then 1-2 minutes from the lounge to gate 8. At T5 you go to the photo checkpoint and fast track north security from where it's all of 20 seconds to the north lounge and then maybe 3 minutes from the lounge to gates A1-7, unless it's A19 in which case 7 minutes. The second photo checkpoint is built into the boarding process.

Overall it seems like basically the same amount of time, but the one variable is conformance because at T5 if you scan your boarding pass at security a minute after six you'll be refused.
Thanks, that sounds quite positive - I'm generally driving and coming off the M25, so T5 will save me about 5-10 mins there; and the rest of the connections sound pretty seamless. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to T5, never even made it to the Flounge yet!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Having done the T5-T1 connection today coming in from MUC on to BHD I can honestly say roll on October. What an absolute pain. Took me 40 minutes.

Also adding my wish for a BHD-LGW schedule. BA could be doing with upping the 6 flights a day from BHD as it stands, they are always packed.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:19 pm

aren't the lounges too busy already ?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by layz
For those doing point to point staying in T1 until they shut it down would have some advantages, a nearly empty airport and closer to central London - 15 mins HEX, option of the connect, served by both the T4 and T5 tubes.

The few fond memories I had of the old T2 was when most of the other airlines had moved out. I had a couple of flights from there when LH/LX had moved out and it was such a different experience going through the terminal (the place was still a dump though and the AF lounge was dreadful).

Still for most people this will be great news, particularly as it sounds BA are doing things right and increasing the number of domestic capable gates. Connections will be a whole lot easier, particularly from BHD, no idea who they'll do flight connections from DUB.

As much complaining as I read here about the security queues and other procedures at T-5 is this really a step up? I usually arrive on DL or UA and leaving to BHD at T-1 seems a lot easier than my previous dealings with T-5. The all around hassle of getting to T-5 and the bussing to the EDI flights comes to mind. I'm certainly aware that it will be easier for the BA connections but I can't see it as a big win for those just going point to point for business and such. Isn't the check in cut off for these flights at T-1 either 30 or 45 min? They certainly can't allow that to continue at T-5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.