Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is a Handwritten letter better or/and nicer than a ba.com/well done?

Old Feb 3, 14, 4:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci

I was just curious to see what folks thought about the above subject matter?

The reason I ask is that last week I received a very nice handwritten letter from someone who is not a family member or friend expressing their thanks for a gift. I won't say from who etc. as it's not relevant to this thread, FT, BA or travelling etc. but I couldn't help but feel how nice it was as it seems to be a rare thing these days.

I have sent the very occasional ba.com/well done over the years via the website. It's simple and guaranteed to get there (I think!) However, I used to always write in an old fashioned handwritten letter, usually brief, when I have received nice or exemplary customer service (and not just to BA)

Should the occasion ever arise I think the next time with BA I will do just that. It just seems more personal however I appreciate it is far more convenient to use the e-form.

Any thoughts/opinions folks and staff?

Have you ever sent in a handwritten Thanks?
Old Feb 3, 14, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post

Have you ever sent in a handwritten Thanks?
No but I sent a handwritten complaint to the CEO of Air France once. Spinetti I think his name was.....he never wrote back.
Old Feb 3, 14, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, SPG Platinum
The problem is that the end result is the same - it ends up in a database. I don't know if BA would bother to digitize and send the CC member a copy of the letter you send (if it's electronic it's easy).

It is nicer of course, but just less likely to arrive at the intended destination IMO.
Old Feb 4, 14, 12:28 am

I have received two hand written letters (nice ones!) in the last couple of years. Personally I think they are much nicer and more personal. I am based at Heathrow on the ground at T5- they took a while to get to me after they were written, but much more appreciated.
Old Feb 4, 14, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I can go weeks without writing (and weeks without needing cash if in the UK). I would not want to subject someone to a long handwritten letter by me, last time I've written on a regular basis I was at school and even there I preferred to do assignments on computer.
Old Feb 4, 14, 2:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Based on some of the contributions we see here on the forum, I'd wager that some of our correspondents do indeed send handwritten letters, and written in green ink too..
Old Feb 4, 14, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Accor Sil, Black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
I think a hand-written letter is very nice. I really appreciate receiving them and know that I don't write enough of them.

If it's good enough for HRH Heir to the Throne to express opinions to govt minister, it's good enough for me

as highlighted above though, I think problem with BA / any large organisation is that the person you are writing to is unlikely to see it and the "open mail person" in HQ somewhere isn't going to be 'touched' by it.....
Old Feb 4, 14, 2:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
We know for sure the ba.com/welldone and /thankyou work. I've sent one in to a staff member here, without telling them, and they came back about 2 weeks later to thank me for the thank you! Nice though it sounds, a handwritten letter risks getting lost in translation in a large organisation.
Old Feb 4, 14, 4:20 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
We would not see your hand written letter. We receive a letter or email from our manager with an extract of the words in your letter included.

We would not be able to tell if you sent a hand written letter or a BA.com/well done and neither would our manager.

I expect it is easier and faster for BA to process if you use the BA.com/well done version but I am sure they are happy for you to do it anyway you prefer.

As CWS says, a BA.com/well done or thank you is the safest method and less likely to get lost.
Old Feb 4, 14, 4:59 am

I think I can answer this as I work in an area that receives many 'letters', good and bad.

In short, a hand written letter depends on your handwriting. More often than not, I hate hand written letters as you just can't read them. If we're talking old style scroll writing, then it's really nice, but as mentioned above, the end person will never see it.

The only person to usually see letters is the admin clerk, who will just scan them onto a database and probably file them. After 6 months, it'll go in the shredder.

Another thing with any form of letter, is they can go missing.

Whilst the thought it nice, I'd stick to e-mail/online.
Old Feb 4, 14, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Based on some of the contributions we see here on the forum, I'd wager that some of our correspondents do indeed send handwritten letters, and written in green ink too..
Thanks for that!
Old Feb 4, 14, 10:36 am

I'm not sure where little girl is based or if she is crew or not, but at Heathrow if your name or reference is on the letter, or you are identifiable thru a PNR you will receive a copy of it. The original is kept on file somewhere. Along with other info about your employment.
Old Feb 4, 14, 2:46 pm

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
Thanks for that!
Old Feb 4, 14, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
I have not noticed many FTers claim to be from Tonbridge Wells [sic], the green ink capital of Britain. Why do so many people from around there complain?

BTW, I am a fan of the handwritten letter, written of course with a proper pen.
Old Feb 4, 14, 3:16 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Connectionsperson View Post
I'm not sure where little girl is based or if she is crew or not, but at Heathrow if your name or reference is on the letter, or you are identifiable thru a PNR you will receive a copy of it. The original is kept on file somewhere. Along with other info about your employment.
I am LHR based cabin crew and we just receive a standard letter from our Manager with a quote from the customer's email or letter highlighted in speech marks, so just one or two sentences from the customer's letter with the customer's name, flight number and date.

Search this Thread