Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Blue" Line wait time more than one hour!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan

I have been trying to reach BA to make an Avios booking that cannot be done online (Qantas). Yesterday I simply got a busy signal each time I tried. This morning (US Mountain Time) I got through, only to be informed that " currently our customers are experiencing wait times in excess of one hour"! Great. Thirty monutes was doable ( which actually was 40 minutes before they answered), but more than an hour?

Why can't they provide sufficient staff to answer the phones?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
This seems to be a very frequent complaint of late. Has something changed at BA, or is there simply more demand than usual?

I've even had wait times on the GGL line several times over the past few weeks - granted it's been measurable in minutes, not hours, but previously it's always been immediate or near-immediate.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JonV
I've even had wait times on the GGL line several times over the past few weeks - granted it's been measurable in minutes, not hours, but previously it's always been immediate or near-immediate.
Perhaps that's an indication of increasing numbers of GGLs? Perhaps you were just unlucky.

Coming back to the OP question, perhaps allowing its blue customers to enjoy the on-hold music even longer, is another BA "enhancement"?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
How about Europe-wide ATC strike?

I have never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for gold line, but there is actually a strike on at the moment and I expect much extra call traffic as a result.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
This has been a recurring complaint around here over the past several weeks. But yeah, it may just be a series of unfortunate events - the weather in the US earlier this month probably increased traffic quite a bit as well.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Had to wait over half an hour last night to book an open jaw Amex voucher redemption (which of course BA's abysmal website can't cope with).

It's even more galling that they then impose a £30 offline booking fee for the privilege. When I politely pointed this out, the guy (probably not following the script) said that he entirely agreed with me and had raised it with senior managers on many occasions!

What compounds it still further is that when you call the 0191 number, it tells you that it is only for people calling from outwith the UK, so you have to call their 0898 (or whatever) number, which they are no doubt making a small fortune on.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
I've had a few waits myself recently.

Regarding the weather in the US, ok, but that was a good few weeks ago now and there seems to be always something somewhere causing disruption.

Others have offered the advice to ring one of the other call centres around the world.

I spotted a redemption opportunity in the middle of the night and phoned Hong Kong last week. Prompt and professional service.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
I forgot about the current ATC strike (I'm in the US). Maybe that accounts for some of it. Seems like that would affect the UK and Continental call centers more than the US one, though.

As for calling another country call center---does that really work? Currently there is a post on another thread by someone who tried that, and was firmly told to call the number for his own country.

I guess I should check what my mobile carrier (AT&T) would charge fora 15-minute call to Hong Kong, just in case that is a good option.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:15 pm
Suspended

It works to call another country - I am in the US and have Bremen as my 'home' center but usually call the UK call center - they seem better able to handle things properly. Bremen never has a clue and the US line doesn't seem to work from skype.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
What compounds it still further is that when you call the 0191 number, it tells you that it is only for people calling from outwith the UK, so you have to call their 0898 (or whatever) number, which they are no doubt making a small fortune on.
If you dial 141 before the 0191 it withholds the number so they can't see you are calling from overseas!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by yellow_peril
If you dial 141 before the 0191 it withholds the number so they can't see you are calling from overseas!
Top tip! ^

Though we're ex-directory anyway (isn't everybody these days), so I assumed that I didn't need to do that...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by enzian
As for calling another country call center---does that really work? Currently there is a post on another thread by someone who tried that, and was firmly told to call the number for his own country.
That was Bahrain and Saudi Arabia and s/he probably called because they're the only two locations that claim to be open 24x7. Frankly I'm not surprised at the response, but at least we know now

The main service centres seem to be Sao Paulo, New York, UK (NCL), Bremen, Bratislava, India and Hong Kong. Any other local BAEC number will probably redirect to one of these. (BAEC doesn't operate in Oz).

Have a play with the web tool I created: http://app1-baft.rhcloud.com/finder.php
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by dunk
The main service centres seem to be Sao Paulo, New York, UK (NCL), Bremen, Bratislava, India and Hong Kong.
With the closure of JAX in December, there aren't any service centres in the Americas anymore. Spanish and Portuguese calls go to BRE and the English calls go to MAN, NCL and DEL. SAO and NYC closed before JAX did.

Blue calls go to Arvato in DEL, a new 3rd party contractor...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by JAXBA

With the closure of JAX in December, there aren't any service centres in the Americas anymore. Spanish and Portuguese calls go to BRE and the English calls go to MAN, NCL and DEL. SAO and NYC closed before JAX did.

Blue calls go to Arvato in DEL, a new 3rd party contractor...
That's interesting ... thank you ^ My search for reliable/useful data goes on ...

http://www.arvato.com/en/newsroom/de...takes-off.html

I'm trying to create a clinic thread but I'm never sure the ba.com data is up to date.

PS I hope you've found something fun and challenging to do post-BA
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Had to wait over half an hour last night to book What compounds it still further is that when you call the 0191 number, it tells you that it is only for people calling from outwith the UK, so you have to call their 0898 (or whatever) number, which they are no doubt making a small fortune on.
If calling from the UK prefix the 0191 number with 141 to hide your number - the BA system then doesn't know you are calling from the UK.

edit: oops - just seen yelow_peril beat me to it

Last edited by Yorkshire Traveller; Jan 31, 2014 at 3:23 pm Reason: explained above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.