Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

WT/WT+ Catering: What's with all the Indian entrée?

WT/WT+ Catering: What's with all the Indian entrée?

Reply

Old Jan 30, 14, 8:57 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 37,962
WT/WT+ Catering: What's with all the Indian entrée?

Just flew four BA WT segments and was actually rather impressed over all with the service, seat comfort and space (all except IFE controls on the arm rests of 744s!). What didn't impress me was the catering. On the segments out of LHR the main course selection was either macaroni/pasta or chicken Masala/curry. The mid-flight sandwich was chicken coronation (i.e. curry). What's happened to English cuisine? Now I don't expect the same type of offering as in CW or F, but it would be nice to get a real English dish like shepherds pie or lamb stew. If I wanted Indian cuisine, I'd have flown Air India or Jet! (And my flights were not to/from India!) And to add insult to injury, all the flights ran out of London Pride and had only Heineken or Amstel!
Shareholder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:00 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 359
Well technically Coronation Chicken is a British invention.... but yes I agree. There does seem to be a bit of a curry overload recently. I don't mind myself as I find a lot of food tastes bland in the air so appreciate the stronger flavours, but my Mother despises most curry and has not been happy when it has been pretty much the only option on recent flights.
Flying Flis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:10 am
  #3  
formerly rxfleming
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AUH, DXB (and GLA)
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Posts: 2,448
WT/WT+ Catering: What's with all the Indian entrée?

Do you want an "English" Dish, or "British" Dish?
Yes. It really does irk me.

Unfortunately "British" dishes are usually bland in flavour so up in the air getting something in your mouth that tastes good means they have to add spices or lots of salt.

I would recommend ordering a special meal if you can In future. That way you can guarantee getting something you may like.
travelwithross is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:12 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LON, RUH and DXB
Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Posts: 2,607
One might argue that chicken tikka masala and a pint of lager is Britain's national dish But yes IMO, BA should reflect a sense of traditional Britishness whilst appealing to a global customer base.

I love curry but if I ever see bloomin' salmon on the menu again ...
dunk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:27 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lancaster UK / Pasadena CA
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by Flying Flis View Post
Well technically Coronation Chicken is a British invention....
… and chicken tikka masala and cantonese stir fry are officially the UK's favourite dishes.

OP asks what happened to English cuisine. Well, the short answer is it largely died out in the industrial revolution as a result of mass population migration from country to towns. Meanwhile the UK acquired a global empire and a taste for delicious food from all over the world. A few traditional dishes survived in the mix but if there is such a thing as a British food culture, it's a cosmopolitan pick'n'mix. IMO British Airways reflects this reality quite accurately.
fripperies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:29 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,525
Erm...isn't curry + any cheap meat the point? Its cheap! Whether that's deliberate or BA are lucky to serve a country where this cheap dish is a favourite.
hugolover is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:30 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 6,383
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Just flew four BA WT segments and was actually rather impressed over all with the service, seat comfort and space (all except IFE controls on the arm rests of 744s!). What didn't impress me was the catering. On the segments out of LHR the main course selection was either macaroni/pasta or chicken Masala/curry. The mid-flight sandwich was chicken coronation (i.e. curry). What's happened to English cuisine? Now I don't expect the same type of offering as in CW or F, but it would be nice to get a real English dish like shepherds pie or lamb stew. If I wanted Indian cuisine, I'd have flown Air India or Jet! (And my flights were not to/from India!) And to add insult to injury, all the flights ran out of London Pride and had only Heineken or Amstel!
Chicken Tikka Masala was once Britain's most popular dish, so it is actually very, very British! Supposedly its been overtaken by Chinese style stir fry- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ry.html though

As Flying Flis says Corination Chicken is also as British as it comes, so you should really be moaning about the Italian stuff on the menu!

Don't want to knock your view of the British but very few I know eat Lamb Stew or Shepherds pie anymore, so you should perhaps start expecting a nice stir fry on your next flight!
Cap'n Benj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:33 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 769
Maybe it would be good policy to have one overtly British option (such as shepherds pie), and one that isn't (such as chicken tikka)? Just to balance it out. I can see a lot of international travellers in WT being a little confused by a menu such as that.

BA's marketing overseas often uses all the usual suspects when it comes to London's imagery simply because that's what people like to see/expect. Maybe honing that a bit more with the menu would be a good idea?
destere is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:41 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saundersfoot
Posts: 715
I don't mind a curry, but thinking about it something like shepherds pie would be an excellent choice as it is pretty hard to bugger up. I'm sure they'd manage it somehow though...
indianwells is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:42 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 6,383
Originally Posted by destere View Post
Maybe it would be good policy to have one overtly British option (such as shepherds pie), and one that isn't (such as chicken tikka)? Just to balance it out. I can see a lot of international travellers in WT being a little confused by a menu such as that.

BA's marketing overseas often uses all the usual suspects when it comes to London's imagery simply because that's what people like to see/expect. Maybe honing that a bit more with the menu would be a good idea?
I think offering international food to international travellers makes far more sense than offering some prehistoric 'British' stodge that is not even served in the worst of school dinners anymore.

Esp as the British themselves don't eat it anymore!
Cap'n Benj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lancaster UK / Pasadena CA
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
thinking about it something like shepherds pie would be an excellent choice as it is pretty hard to bugger up.
Not that hard. Think horse.
fripperies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 9:57 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 769
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
I think offering international food to international travellers makes far more sense than offering some prehistoric 'British' stodge that is not even served in the worst of school dinners anymore.

Esp as the British themselves don't eat it anymore!
I had a very nice one the other day...

Interesting perspective, but one that really I can't relate to!
destere is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 10:00 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: LHR- ish
Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Posts: 4,299
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
Don't want to knock your view of the British but very few I know eat Lamb Stew or Shepherds pie anymore, so you should perhaps start expecting a nice stir fry on your next flight!
A sir fry possibly but I wouldn't count on it being nice.


Originally Posted by fripperies View Post
Not that hard. Think horse.
Horse can taste good - Findus lasagna for example.


Curry strikes me as an excellent inflight meal choice - tasty and doesn't die when you heat it in the oven. But then I like curry.

My mum does a great cottage pie (like shepeherd's pie but with beef instead of lamb), i'm sure she'd give BA the recipe in exchange for royalties. Come to that she does a great lamb curry too.
exilencfc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 10:05 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brussels
Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Posts: 108
I do like the curry and its certainly a part of Modern Britain. Its only downside IMHO is that sitting on it for 8 hrs then going for a massive steak upon arrival at DFW does leave one feeling rather bloated, though that's based on one entirely self-inflicted experience...
aflan85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 14, 10:10 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Posts: 1,967
I have to say that I find the traveller curries really good and usually the best meals down the back. Far tastier than the "British" offerings.
Joely is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread