Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

WT/WT+ Catering: What's with all the Indian entrée?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Just flew four BA WT segments and was actually rather impressed over all with the service, seat comfort and space (all except IFE controls on the arm rests of 744s!). What didn't impress me was the catering. On the segments out of LHR the main course selection was either macaroni/pasta or chicken Masala/curry. The mid-flight sandwich was chicken coronation (i.e. curry). What's happened to English cuisine? Now I don't expect the same type of offering as in CW or F, but it would be nice to get a real English dish like shepherds pie or lamb stew. If I wanted Indian cuisine, I'd have flown Air India or Jet! (And my flights were not to/from India!) And to add insult to injury, all the flights ran out of London Pride and had only Heineken or Amstel!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:00 am

Well technically Coronation Chicken is a British invention.... but yes I agree. There does seem to be a bit of a curry overload recently. I don't mind myself as I find a lot of food tastes bland in the air so appreciate the stronger flavours, but my Mother despises most curry and has not been happy when it has been pretty much the only option on recent flights.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:10 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

Do you want an "English" Dish, or "British" Dish?
Yes. It really does irk me.

Unfortunately "British" dishes are usually bland in flavour so up in the air getting something in your mouth that tastes good means they have to add spices or lots of salt.

I would recommend ordering a special meal if you can In future. That way you can guarantee getting something you may like.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
One might argue that chicken tikka masala and a pint of lager is Britain's national dish But yes IMO, BA should reflect a sense of traditional Britishness whilst appealing to a global customer base.

I love curry but if I ever see bloomin' salmon on the menu again ...
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Flis
Well technically Coronation Chicken is a British invention....
… and chicken tikka masala and cantonese stir fry are officially the UK's favourite dishes.

OP asks what happened to English cuisine. Well, the short answer is it largely died out in the industrial revolution as a result of mass population migration from country to towns. Meanwhile the UK acquired a global empire and a taste for delicious food from all over the world. A few traditional dishes survived in the mix but if there is such a thing as a British food culture, it's a cosmopolitan pick'n'mix. IMO British Airways reflects this reality quite accurately.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Erm...isn't curry + any cheap meat the point? Its cheap! Whether that's deliberate or BA are lucky to serve a country where this cheap dish is a favourite.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just flew four BA WT segments and was actually rather impressed over all with the service, seat comfort and space (all except IFE controls on the arm rests of 744s!). What didn't impress me was the catering. On the segments out of LHR the main course selection was either macaroni/pasta or chicken Masala/curry. The mid-flight sandwich was chicken coronation (i.e. curry). What's happened to English cuisine? Now I don't expect the same type of offering as in CW or F, but it would be nice to get a real English dish like shepherds pie or lamb stew. If I wanted Indian cuisine, I'd have flown Air India or Jet! (And my flights were not to/from India!) And to add insult to injury, all the flights ran out of London Pride and had only Heineken or Amstel!
Chicken Tikka Masala was once Britain's most popular dish, so it is actually very, very British! Supposedly its been overtaken by Chinese style stir fry- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ry.html though

As Flying Flis says Corination Chicken is also as British as it comes, so you should really be moaning about the Italian stuff on the menu!

Don't want to knock your view of the British but very few I know eat Lamb Stew or Shepherds pie anymore, so you should perhaps start expecting a nice stir fry on your next flight!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Maybe it would be good policy to have one overtly British option (such as shepherds pie), and one that isn't (such as chicken tikka)? Just to balance it out. I can see a lot of international travellers in WT being a little confused by a menu such as that.

BA's marketing overseas often uses all the usual suspects when it comes to London's imagery simply because that's what people like to see/expect. Maybe honing that a bit more with the menu would be a good idea?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:41 am

I don't mind a curry, but thinking about it something like shepherds pie would be an excellent choice as it is pretty hard to bugger up. I'm sure they'd manage it somehow though...
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by destere
Maybe it would be good policy to have one overtly British option (such as shepherds pie), and one that isn't (such as chicken tikka)? Just to balance it out. I can see a lot of international travellers in WT being a little confused by a menu such as that.

BA's marketing overseas often uses all the usual suspects when it comes to London's imagery simply because that's what people like to see/expect. Maybe honing that a bit more with the menu would be a good idea?
I think offering international food to international travellers makes far more sense than offering some prehistoric 'British' stodge that is not even served in the worst of school dinners anymore.

Esp as the British themselves don't eat it anymore!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by indianwells
thinking about it something like shepherds pie would be an excellent choice as it is pretty hard to bugger up.
Not that hard. Think horse.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I think offering international food to international travellers makes far more sense than offering some prehistoric 'British' stodge that is not even served in the worst of school dinners anymore.

Esp as the British themselves don't eat it anymore!
I had a very nice one the other day...

Interesting perspective, but one that really I can't relate to!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Don't want to knock your view of the British but very few I know eat Lamb Stew or Shepherds pie anymore, so you should perhaps start expecting a nice stir fry on your next flight!
A sir fry possibly but I wouldn't count on it being nice.

Originally Posted by fripperies
Not that hard. Think horse.
Horse can taste good - Findus lasagna for example.

Curry strikes me as an excellent inflight meal choice - tasty and doesn't die when you heat it in the oven. But then I like curry.

My mum does a great cottage pie (like shepeherd's pie but with beef instead of lamb), i'm sure she'd give BA the recipe in exchange for royalties. Come to that she does a great lamb curry too.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
I do like the curry and its certainly a part of Modern Britain. Its only downside IMHO is that sitting on it for 8 hrs then going for a massive steak upon arrival at DFW does leave one feeling rather bloated, though that's based on one entirely self-inflicted experience...
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I have to say that I find the traveller curries really good and usually the best meals down the back. Far tastier than the "British" offerings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.