Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

WT/WT+ Catering: What's with all the Indian entrée?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WT/WT+ Catering: What's with all the Indian entrée?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I had both on my Y flight yesterday and I must say I think this is what BA does best. By contrast another of my previous long haul y served a "Sunday roast with roast potatoes carrots and Yorkshire pudding" which was absolutely vile. So please keep the curries!!!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver, Marriot Silver
I love a good curry, I just can't eat it on a plane, something about the curry smell at 35,000 ft turns my stomach.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just flew four BA WT segments and was actually rather impressed over all with the service, seat comfort and space (all except IFE controls on the arm rests of 744s!). What didn't impress me was the catering. On the segments out of LHR the main course selection was either macaroni/pasta or chicken Masala/curry. The mid-flight sandwich was chicken coronation (i.e. curry). What's happened to English cuisine? Now I don't expect the same type of offering as in CW or F, but it would be nice to get a real English dish like shepherds pie or lamb stew. If I wanted Indian cuisine, I'd have flown Air India or Jet! (And my flights were not to/from India!) And to add insult to injury, all the flights ran out of London Pride and had only Heineken or Amstel!
Utterly perplexed by this. The curry on the India flight was always a joy in Y. On my most recent trip in Dec 2013/Jan 2014 (detailed/photographed as WT+ outbound here and WT inbound here), the non-veg meals were western and quite bland, whilst the veg dishes were of an Indian flavour.

If there was anything wrong with the meals, it was that the starters were rubbish.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just curious, if one orders a Hindu meal does that mean it won't be a curry? For future BA WT/WT+ flights I will request a Kosher meal to be safe. (After doing a film in India for several weeks, I came to detest curries and the like...what can I say?!)
You get a big meal if you get Kosher, for certain. Hindu meals will probably Asian in flavour.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by alwaysTravelling
I love a good curry, I just can't eat it on a plane, something about the curry smell at 35,000 ft turns my stomach.
I was beginning to wonder if I was the odd one out! I wouldn't like to eat curry on-board a plane either. I prefer simpler tastes in the air. steamed/roasted meat/fish with veggies, no gloop. Followed by fruit
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver, Marriot Silver
^
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
I prefer simpler tastes in the air. steamed/roasted meat/fish with veggies
I'm with you on that one
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I think its a post Heston influence. You can easily taste curry at 35,000 feet. It may turn some people's stomach but you will find it is
- moist
- keeps better in the air with limited cold storage (why it was developed in India in the first place)
- provides flavour even at high pressure
- relatively cheaper to make

Most English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish meals do not work that well in the air and to get the umami flavours in require more effort/expense.

It is now common to find a curry option in F on routes not involving India (LAX - LHR for instance).
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
Originally Posted by indianwells
I don't mind a curry, but thinking about it something like shepherds pie would be an excellent choice as it is pretty hard to bugger up. I'm sure they'd manage it somehow though...
The Duck Shepherds Pie which featured recently in CW wasn't much to write home about.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I think offering international food to international travellers makes far more sense than offering some prehistoric 'British' stodge that is not even served in the worst of school dinners anymore.

Esp as the British themselves don't eat it anymore!
What about the afternoon tea?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I was pleased to decline my CE lunch earlier this week. Some sort of rice, topped with curried chicken breast and surrounded by mozzarella balls and olives. I think that Bombay/Naples fusion cooking is a step too far.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by T8191
I was pleased to decline my CE lunch earlier this week. Some sort of rice, topped with curried chicken breast and surrounded by mozzarella balls and olives. I think that Bombay/Naples fusion cooking is a step too far.
I had something similar to that on the way back from NCE recently. It was really odd...but I do like your take on Bombay meets Naples!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.