OT: T5 Negotiating at Mappin & Webb

Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
OT: T5 Negotiating at Mappin & Webb

Hi All,

A bit off topic, but hopefully someone here can help! With valentine's day coming up I am planning on a watch purchase from Mappin & Webb T5.

Has anyone get experience of whether additional discounts can be obtained (above the 20% duty free price)? Some high street retailers are able to offer close to this, so wasn't sure what I could expect airside

Thanks,

LonFlyer
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest although I have no personal experience.

It can be a drawn out process seeking discounts on high end watches anyway because the retailers are not meant to discount as part of their agreement with suppliers. It is possible but is more likely in a chain with a really empowered local manager. Also you tend to get a better discount on items in stock rather than items ordered in (which makes things a bit hit and miss at T5).

Why not buy the watch at your destination? The US can be a very good place to buy nice watches, especially if you can skip the sales tax by shipping out of state.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's not really a Turkish bazaar. You can try but I think you'll get some wage slave telling you that the retail price is the retail price.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I think you'd be better off buying in london negotiating a discount, then asking for a vat claim back form.

What country are you going to, and what brand are you looking at buying? Rolex distributors are prohibited from discounting or they lose their authorised distributorship, others you should be able to do ok on. In the US you can negotiate a good 25% off some brands, particularly at large watch stores like Tourneau.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:20 am

I bought an IWC from MW T5 a few years back. With the weak Sterling it turned out extremely beneficial to me.
To be honest you'll be very lucky to get a better price in the UK. If USD is weak you may get lucky in the US (but prices are adjusted often to keep the price level globally), and the higher priced watch, the more likely a discount can be bargained. Some dealers or retailers will give good discounts if you pay cash.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's not really a Turkish bazaar. You can try but I think you'll get some wage slave telling you that the retail price is the retail price.
You called? Actually years of life in Asia and the Middle East has got me to laugh at Brits reluctance to bargain, particularly with hotels. The way to do this is to find a good price in the high street or wherever, ring them up and ask if they can match the price. Either they want the business or not.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by aceman
I think you'd be better off buying in london negotiating a discount, then asking for a vat claim back form.

What country are you going to, and what brand are you looking at buying? Rolex distributors are prohibited from discounting or they lose their authorised distributorship, others you should be able to do ok on. In the US you can negotiate a good 25% off some brands, particularly at large watch stores like Tourneau.
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I am looking to buy a Longines (so nowhere near as expensive as some of the brands M&W stock) and am flying to AMS (so unfortunately the outside EU/US options wont work).

As an separate note, I didn't realise you could buy from london and then claim the vat back (or does this only work for non-EU citizens)?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:28 am

If you're UK based won't you will be liable for import duty when you return?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by aceman
Rolex distributors are prohibited from discounting or they lose their authorised distributorship
Not in Muscat they don't .
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by LonFlyer
As an separate note, I didn't realise you could buy from london and then claim the vat back (or does this only work for non-EU citizens)?
Yes it does.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteveF
Not in Muscat they don't .
They are still prohibited they just interpret this prohibition more flexibly The same is true of many other locations including the US.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:38 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by SteveF
If you're UK based won't you will be liable for import duty when you return?
Indeed. The trick is for you to carry the receipt and a colleague or friend, if you have the luxury of travelling with one, to carry the item, so they are separated.

Or, post the receipt back to your home, and wear the item on your person.

Not that I condone such activities
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LonFlyer
You have to be more than a non-EU citizen you have to not be a resident. So if you have residency rights (as per your passport) you are not entitled to VAT refunds.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
You have to be more than a non-EU citizen you have to not be a resident. So if you have residency rights (as per your passport) you are not entitled to VAT refunds.
Let's get this straight, you can use the scheme if you are an EU citizen, but you must be able to demonstrate you will be staying outside the EU for more than twelve months. (I'm not sure if 'staying' allows for temporary visits back to the EU).

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...cument#P14_724

So it's all about the actual place of residence, not the citizenship, nor the permitted places of residence.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Brits reluctance to bargain.
Absolutely! As I tell my colleagues all the time - the worst that'll happen is they say 'no'. I don't go in for full-blown haggling but I do at least ask for a discount. I'm also usually happy to walk away if they say 'no'.

Sometimes it changes their minds, sometimes it doesn't and I'll go back later and buy it anyway if I really want it. Same goes for hotels - if you book direct for the same price as a broker then they're not paying any commissions; you're happy, they're happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.