The BA boarding process

Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
The best priority boarding asset?
Infants
Whilst boarding at Milan a while back I noticed a fairly elderly woman who I guessed was the nan of a small group of kids who were jumping all over her as she laughed and play fought with them. She was very agile and held her own in the melee.

Cue boarding calls and the next time I caught sight of her she was in a wheelchair, doing a fantastic impression of a dying swan, being shuffled forward to board first - followed closely by around a dozen members of her family. Genius!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
The best priority boarding asset?
Infants
I'll see your infant and raise you a wheelchair
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I agree, it is annoying having to wait in line, but I think it's impractical to have yet more queues for different levels of fast track. I flew the same route in F just last week and I could tell from the number of people leaving the lounge that it was going to be busy, so I stayed there a little longer, then wandered down to the gate via the shops. By the time I got there the fast track queue still had a few people in it, but the standard queue was empty, so I went through without waiting. As it happened, we were bussed to the gate, so it didn't make much difference.

To be honest, I'd much rather BA spent some money developing the lounge in JNB. It really is quite poor! The F lounge is always over crowded and the quality of food is very low. It's one of those routes with more GCH than SCH, so I think they need to re-design the lounge and take that into account.
I think that the Flounge at JNB is one of the best outstation lounges I visited last year. There was a variety of food, nice wines, plenty of seating and in fact I commented at the time that I thought it was better than the T5 Flounge (certainly in terms of catering at that time).

I think priority boarding with BA is becoming like priority baggage pretty much non existent. There was no priority boarding at all ex MAN yesterday but priority boarding of all F, J, emerald, sapphire and ruby all at the same time is laughable. Look at how AA manage this process. They have a single priority boarding lane. No non priority passengers can board whilst priority boarding is being called. You then have a strict F and emerald, followed by J and sapphire followed by ruby. This isn't rocket science if there is a will.

You don't delay boarding either to make this work. Once each tranche has no waiting passengers you call the next tranche.

Whilst on this subject I have no issue with passengers with restricted mobility boarding first and have frequently held back hordes of passengers behind me to allow the wheelchair assistants to do their thing when priority boarding has been called too quickly and boarding early would interfere with the wheelchair bearers getting on, through and off the plane. I don't see why a family in Y though should board before F PAX especially when the F PAX will be on a wholly different airbridge away from the family. Also when did having one toddler mean that 5 teenagers in the party also get prioritised over F PAX?

I typically go to the gate early and like to board quickly to avoid 15 minutes waiting on the airbridge so will leave before the flight is flagged for boarding which gives more time to observe the process.

This is something that BA could address really easily if there was a will.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
When you check-in, there are different counters for different classes and different BAEC cards. Thus, surely it should follow suit that, upon boarding, BA ought to create a secondary Fast-Track lane for First & Gold passengers.
I'm sure that those in CW would say that it should be for CW and F pax and not status pax traveling in Y and W. Prems would probably have a different view too.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
This will make me sound like a ***hole but I ask people in the fasttrack queue if they are Golds or travelling in F. if they are not I skip past them (as I have a F ticket).
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GodAtum
This will make me sound like a ***hole but I ask people in the fasttrack queue if they are Golds or travelling in F. if they are not I skip past them (as I have a F ticket).
I wouldn't do this personally but BA should make it happen in practice by only calling F and Gold.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
I completely agree. It does make you sound like a ***hole.

I honestly hope that you're just winding us up.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
The BA boarding process

Boarding in the US is much more organised - First Class is called first, then platinum double tiara, then gold, then rust, then zone 1, then plebs by row. And be assured if you try and get through at the wrong time the gate agent will refuse you.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Yup, thats pretty much a definition of arsehole behaviour
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I does.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:24 am

Does your F ticket trump Premiers or can they skip past you?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
Does your F ticket trump Premiers or can they skip past you?
Presumably redemption F is beaten by cash F?

A toddler trumps both of course

Where does UuA stand in the pecking order?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
The BA boarding process

Also - anyone attempting to board a narrow-body aircraft wearing a backpack should be denied boarding and banned from flying for life.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Cue boarding calls and the next time I caught sight of her she was in a wheelchair, doing a fantastic impression of a dying swan, being shuffled forward to board first - followed closely by around a dozen members of her family. Genius!
That gives me an idea. I'm sure my wife wouldn't complain about suddenly becoming incapacitated...
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by mario
I honestly hope that you're just winding us up.
^^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.