Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:16 pm

It seems from this forum that the crew know your fare code and treat you accordingly (ie skipped over for meal choices, seat moved based on other pax request for your seat, or just told you are just an upgrade passenger, etc)

is this actually true or overblown? Seems this factors into the value of upgrade instruments
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
It seems from this forum that the crew know your fare code and treat you accordingly (ie skipped over for meal choices, seat moved based on other pax request for your seat, or just told you are just an upgrade passenger, etc)

is this actually true or overblown? Seems this factors into the value of upgrade instruments
Where are you seeing indication of that in this thread, either the seat moving, skipping meal choice, or being told you are just an upgrade passenger?

There is some meal prioritisation based on status in long haul J/F cabins on BA if there isn't enough of one dish, but that has nothing to do with GUFs or UuAs. On the other points I haven't heard any mention of people being seat shifted just because they are on a GUF or being told you are just an upgrade.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have experienced no discriminatory behaviors in terms of a GUF from J to F. In most cases it is the opposite as a GGL with meal request taken first, extra hello from CSD etc etc. that said sometimes you get a good crew and sometimes a poor crew.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I have experienced no discriminatory behaviors in terms of a GUF from J to F. In most cases it is the opposite as a GGL with meal request taken first, extra hello from CSD etc etc. that said sometimes you get a good crew and sometimes a poor crew.
Exactly. What sense would it make to provide an inferior service to the very people why fly often enough to earn GUFs.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes that's fine. i think you may have to call to book it though.
thanks
confirmed it worked and priced correctly
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Meh
Sorry not being lazy but time constrained.
Best value is to but I class and use voucher to A class?
Both classes must be available to make this work?
Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by stevie
Sorry not being lazy but time constrained.
Thanks.
Value is so subjective and factors so different from person to person that it's very difficult to say what is best for any one individual.

You can GUF any revenue selling class in business, it doesn't have to be I. If this is a TA booking you need A class to allow the TA to apply the GUF, if it is a booking made with BA you need reward availability to apply the GUF to F.

More information in the guide BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Only A class needs to be available.

Edited to add: KARFA beat me to it (and did a better job explaining too...)
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Meh
Value is so subjective and factors so different from person to person that it's very difficult to say what is best for any one individual.

You can GUF any revenue selling class in business, it doesn't have to be I. If this is a TA booking you need A class to allow the TA to apply the GUF, if it is a booking made with BA you need reward availability to apply the GUF to F.

More information in the guide BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
Thanks Karfa.
So weirdly it is better to go through a 3rd party (TA) than deal directly with BA? A vs reward availability.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:42 am

Thanks Karfa.
So weirdly it is better to go through a 3rd party (TA) than deal directly with BA? A vs reward availability.
Correct, for now anyway.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As a data point I have had BA consistently push back if the original (Ie selling) booking class is not available (I was not available and upgrading to A). I know others have had no issue, but you may find inconsistency.

(This was ex Scandinavia where the rules seem to be applied a little more in favour of BA).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:25 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
If I use a GUF2 via TA to upgrade a return trip LHR-LAS in CW to F, will I have to pay any extra taxes or surcharges? On the BA calculator it is higher for first...
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by PxC
If I use a GUF2 via TA to upgrade a return trip LHR-LAS in CW to F, will I have to pay any extra taxes or surcharges? On the BA calculator it is higher for first...
you paythe same extra taxes/fees/charges that you would do if applying the GUF with ba directly. Having said that a LHR-LAS rtn should have the same taxes/fees/charges in CW and F so you should have to pay much if anything for that upgrade. Where are you seeing higher TFC in F?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by PxC
you pay the same extra taxes/fees/charges that you would do if applying the GUF with ba directly. Having said that a LHR-LAS rtn should have the same taxes/fees/charges in CW and F so you should have to pay much if anything for that upgrade. Where are you seeing higher TFC in F?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:41 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond

you pay the same extra taxes/fees/charges that you would do if applying the GUF with ba directly. Having said that a LHR-LAS rtn should have the same taxes/fees/charges in CW and F so you should have to pay much if anything for that upgrade. Where are you seeing higher TFC in F?
On the return leg, using the Rewards Calculator on BA site, CW is £449.40 and first is £603.92.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.