Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Wondering if someone can help advise:
I have a booking, all in Club, part of which contains LHR-JFK. Now, I know there's an A fare code available in First on that flight, but no Avios redemption availability.
I'd still like to upgrade the flights using a GUF2 that's not long from expiration. However, as this is a travel agent booking I'm not sure it's possible? Any tips, or is it going to be impossible to action?
Thanks!
no it's not possible to use your guf with a ta now and take advantage of A class availability, you needed to apply the guf at the time of booking to do that. you can apply a guf later to a TA booking by contacting BA but this requires reward availability.

all covered in the guf guide here BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
no it's not possible to use your guf with a ta now and take advantage of A class availability, you needed to apply the guf at the time of booking to do that. you can apply a guf later to a TA booking by contacting BA but this requires reward availability.

all covered in the guf guide here BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
On the off chance that Avios seats come into play, I assume I could just call the Exec Club and ask them to make this change? Fingers crossed; I'll be checking daily!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:51 am

On the off chance that Avios seats come into play, I assume I could just call the Exec Club and ask them to make this change? Fingers crossed; I'll be checking daily!
yes if avios seats become available contact BAEC and they can apply your GUF.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by Cymro
Are you sure about that? LHR-DOH is at serious risk of being cancelled and replaced by a QR-operated flight, plus BA Holidays is treated as a travel agent and DOH-DPS is undoubtedly going to be on a BA codeshare on QR metal.

Do the restrictions on TA bookings apply if the non-BA operated flight is a BA codeshare?
Thanks, the only flight I am interested in upgrading is the BA123 LHR-DOH as stated from WT to WTP using a GUF2 and Avios the DOH-DPS will be as booked on QR will be Y. As for the chances of BA canceling the BA123 due to the RR engine or other issues then I would expect only to get my GUF2 and Avios plus extra taxes back, and not a 3 person upgrade to J on QR.
John
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Are you sure about that? LHR-DOH is at serious risk of being cancelled and replaced by a QR-operated flight, plus BA Holidays is treated as a travel agent and DOH-DPS is undoubtedly going to be on a BA codeshare on QR metal.

Do the restrictions on TA bookings apply if the non-BA operated flight is a BA codeshare?
My understanding is a BA Holiday booking (flights & hotel) is GUF'able per se. However, it is treated as a TA booking so a booking including non BA flights could not have a GUF applied.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:24 am

Unless the flights have a BA flight number, in which case the GUF can still be applied to the BA operated flights in the booking.

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; Jul 25, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Unless this flights have a BA flight number, in which case the GUF can still be applied to the BA operated flights in the booking.
Interesting the QR flight is the BA6360 but jumping from Y to J would that be possible also I would need 3 reward seats available (well the GUF2 plus 1 Avios) I would be happy to put my adult children in J and I would take the Y if that's possible and available.
John
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by thejohn
Interesting the QR flight is the BA6360 but jumping from Y to J would that be possible also I would need 3 reward seats available (well the GUF2 plus 1 Avios) I would be happy to put my adult children in J and I would take the Y if that's possible and available.
John
your GUF would not apply to a QR operated BA marketed flight though.

What FM says is that you could apply the GUF to the booking if those QR operated flights are booked as BA marketed flights, but the GUF would only apply to the ba marketed and operated flights.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:27 pm

thanks KAFA that was my first thoughts, but confusion set in and I forgot the fact it had to be BA metal. And I was initially just interested in upgrading LHR-DOH
John
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
have a flight ORD-LHR return coming up. does it make sense to use the GUF2 to upgrade from CW to F? Only a single traveller. also not sure if I'll get another opportunity to use before it expires next June. Or better to punt it and hold out? Is F worth it on the ORD-LHR route?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by rooivalk
have a flight ORD-LHR return coming up. does it make sense to use the GUF2 to upgrade from CW to F? Only a single traveller. also not sure if I'll get another opportunity to use before it expires next June. Or better to punt it and hold out? Is F worth it on the ORD-LHR route?
I just applied a GUF1 to ORD-LHR-DEL-LHR-ORD together with a Gold Guest List Redemption for a trip in early August. The sectors from/to ORD are the A380. Four long haul sectors and a spare GUF1 so it made sense for me. Only you can answer your 'value' question. If I were you I'd be looking at whether you can extend it and whether you'll have a chance to use it within the time window together with a companion. Also, check whether you're on the A380 or the B744. I might be more inclined to go for it on the A380. On the other hand if you've not flown in the pointy end of a 744 it's worth doing that too. Let us know what you decide.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:24 am

If I was to book an economy trip using GUF2 into WTP via a travel agent, is it then possible to upgrade into J using Avios after (assuming availability?)
​​​​​​
Basically thinking of doing a WTP out and J return, upping into J outbound should availability come later down the line (if not, WTP perfectly fine)

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:29 am

If I was to book an economy trip using GUF2 into WTP via a travel agent, is it then possible to upgrade into J using Avios after (assuming availability?)
​​​​​​
No. You can’t combine UuA and GUF in any way.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
suppose i have an I class ticket with the routing

AMS LHR HKG (stop) BKK LHR AMS with HKG BKK on RJ,
the rest in BA.

Can the GUF2 be applied on it from a travel agent into A class on BA metal? If so, is there a list of competent agent that can accomplish this task?
Originally Posted by KARFA
You can't have non BA flight numbers on the booking if you wish to apply a GUF using a TA.
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
So, this an interesting one. Realistically, you shouldn't be allowed to book on flights without BA metal; however, there are ways around this if you find a VERY good TA (not Amex Travel!).

In terms of ticketing, it all depends on how you book. If it's done as a standard booking, it may ticket quickly. On the other hand, I've used a TA and taken advantage of special 'contracted' fares where the ticket was booked months in advance, but issued closer to departure, allowing me to retain a high level of flexibility, which has come in very useful on more than one occasion!
Originally Posted by Protocol7
Thanks KARFA, I won't be able to use the GUF2 unless I choose AMS-LHR-BKK then.
I've heard bad things about LHR-BKK.
In you opinion what's the best option? LHR-HKG in Club or LHR-BKK in First?
Originally Posted by ubiest
Is it possible the TA send a booking without BA flights at first to apply the GUF, then add the additional flights after BA approves the GUF?
Originally Posted by Protocol7
Yes, I've been advised to do it this way and I will ask my TA to try.
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Whilst factually correct, a TA can send a booking to BA to approve a GUF before adding non-BA flights onto the booking afterwards. Therefore, it is possible to GUF a booking that does contain non-BA flights, just that you need a willing and capable TA.
Whilst there was a lot of discussion around why this shouldn't be done, I assume it still works.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
it worked in August.
flashware likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.