Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bdohmen
I went to change the return date and after some back and forth my TA is telling me that BA says that changes can be made per the fare rules but that the GUF will be lost - is this true?
True if there is no upgrade availability on the new date. I don't think it's true if there is availability, but if you've added sectors on from another airline in between the bookings then that would be one reason why it's no loinger possible.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
As long as you are changing within the fare rules and there is availability in the original, paid booking class, as well as A class for the upgrade to First, the GUF should not be lost. If you are having trouble, try asking BA directly to change the ticket for you. The fact that you have already flown the outbound means they will now have control of the ticket.

For reference, I recently upgraded a multi-sector, R class booking, made through my company TA, using a GUF1 to upgrade to F. My company's rather good route deal means that, in addition to a 40%-60% discount on fares, we also enjoy J class flexibility on our longhaul tickets, regardless of the booking class. With 8 sectors on the booking and a very changeable work schedule, I had to make a lot of, often last minute, changes involving various scenarios...

- Simple change of date prior to the initial flight - required full re-pricing and re-booking of the ticket via the TA and BA Travel Trade;
- Change to the second sector via TA - Required availability in original booking class (R), or pay to move to next available booking class, as well as availability in A class;
- Change to the 3rd sector at 9pm Miami time, so no way of getting hold of my TA - Went direct to BA via the GGL line. They couldn't figure out the ticket rules due to the complexity of the ticket, but made the change anyway;
- Various other changes, generally variations of the above.

The key point is that my upgrade was retained throughout and the GUF was not lost. Push back on your TA or go direct to BA and see what they say.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:29 pm

One other thing to check is that they are bringing you back on BA metal. If you've been moved to an AA flight for the longhaul sector, that would invalidate the upgrade.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:53 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
Thanks for all of the feedback. I will call the GGL line directly and ask. My corp TA gave it their best but seems they struck out. There is definitely A availability and its its BA metal - same flight pairs just different days.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere (couldn't see in this thread, or on the BA Trade Support page linked).

If I book into the I fare bucket, all BA flights on BA metal, will I be able to use my GUF2 ? It seems that "Club World" to First is fine, just wanted to check that I-class meets the definition
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Understanding GUF2

Yes, GUF'ing from I class in CW to F is fine .
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:41 am

Just remember that if you book via a TA the upgrade has to be done at the time of booking and all you need is as class availability. If you book direct through BA you can upgrade at anytime, but I'll require award space in F to upgrade.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Deleted as stupid question is

a. stupid; and
b. answered on the first page of the thread, rather than the one Google took me to.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just wondering if anyone has UuA'd a leg or itinerary and then later tried swapping that with a GUF and getting the Avios back?

I'm off to SYD next year but won't get a GUF until November, and have already upgraded a leg from J to F using avios. Ticket was booked direct with BA, and ideally I'd apply the GUF in stages as availability opens up on each segment.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:00 am

I find myself with about 5 months to run 'til my TP year end, and assuming nothing else booked, will be about 375 TP away from a GUF2. I have never got anywhere near this before. Is it worth it?
By my reckoning that is roughly Ł600-Ł800 away in European travel with a couple of cheeky SH+ routes and a POUG of existing flights. I assume that I can extract more than that value from a GUF2 if used carefully?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Can I just confirm; a GUF2 works for a RETURN for two from J->F if A Class available and booked through a TA? Would it work on a combination of BA11/12 & BA15/16?

And is the 12 month expiry for use or time of booking? For example if one is rewarded in Jan 16 it can be booked in May 16 for travel in Apr 17 ?

KARFA has previously helped me with this, but that was based on Avios booking. Think I'll be doing cash ex OSL
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Can I just confirm; a GUF2 works for a RETURN for two from J->F if A Class available and booked through a TA? Would it work on a combination of BA11/12 & BA15/16?

And is the 12 month expiry for use or time of booking? For example if one is rewarded in Jan 16 it can be booked in May 16 for travel in Apr 17 ?
A GUF applies to all flights in a booking so you could potentially do one booking for LHR-LAX-LHR-HKG-LHR-GIG-LHR all in CW, apply one GUF and all flights get upgraded to F (subbject to availability of course). So a combination of BA11/12 & BA15/16 as long it is on one booking should be fine.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...ditions-of-use

I think it just says booked so presumably time of booking where the flights themselves could be at a later date.

3. Gold Upgrade vouchers must be booked within 12 months from the date of issue.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Yes (a) it works as return, (b) yes for /A/ class and a TA, and (c) you can combine, you can also change flight numbers in SIN if you like. i.e. take BA11 connecting to BA15. and (d) have a stop over.

In my experience the 12 months is from time of booking.

You you get a TA who knows what they are doing it is seamless and easy, but some TA's make such a mess of it or do not wish to touch it.

KF
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:13 am

Here is the webpage for TAs explaining what they are supposed to do in case you need it http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-card-upgrade
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Many thanks for the speedy clarification - I shall need to work out the most economical way of getting 120 TP in January to get to 2500!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.