Understanding GUF2

Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BA GGL
Hi all. I'm looking at combining a 241 and GUF2 for LHR-MIA. There's only Avios availability in economy for the oubound... am I correct in thinking that the use-a-travel-agent-to-book-a-GUF-into-cash-fare-classes isn't possible when using Avios to buy the ticket in the first place?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by armouredant
Hi all. I'm looking at combining a 241 and GUF2 for LHR-MIA. There's only Avios availability in economy for the oubound... am I correct in thinking that the use-a-travel-agent-to-book-a-GUF-into-cash-fare-classes isn't possible when using Avios to buy the ticket in the first place?
Correct. To use a TA you need an underlying cash fare to be purchased.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Greetings to the knowledgeable collective! Not sure if this is really a GUF2 query, or an AUP one, but I'll put it here for now - someone might know that answer, although it's a bit of an unusual one. I have an upcoming INV-LHR-JFK booked into WTP, and GUF2 is applied. There was/is no availability[1] on the initial INV-LHR leg so we're in ET for that one. As a consequence my booking classes are:

K/U/U/U

as I would expect. Now, what is rather unexpected is that I find myself within touching distance of a GUF2 again this year. I can and will pick up those last few TPs as required, but it occurred to me that if I was able to AUP the INV-LHR leg that should get me 40 rather than 10.

My question is, does anyone know if having the GUF2 applied to other legs is likely to 'interfere' here in any way? I wouldn't have thought so, but I don't know the intricacies of BA's IT. I apply AUPs to quite a few of my flights, and have always had credit without an issue, but I'm still new to this GUF2 malarkey (thanks to FT )

Any insights welcome
Thanks
BertieB

[1] I know using a TA would allow booking into I availability, I wasn't that fussed for a short flight, and I know BA may still release seats in which case I can phone up and have the GUF2 applied to the initial leg.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I can see no reason why an GUF would affect earnings for an AUP, if t credits as K rather than the upgraded class (if paid upgrade) it may take a couple of attempts to explain...I have AUP'ed the final sector of a GUF booking due to lack of availability and there was no issue with crediting the right amount.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Fantastic, many thanks for the quick reply Koru Flyer - I couldn't see any obvious reasons myself other than BA's IT being a bit arcane.

I would be prepared for the possibility of a couple of phone calls if it didn't credit so if I do AUP I'll be sure to keep the receipt! (of course I realise AUP may not be available.....)

What a wonderful resource BAFT is!
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Good afternoon,
now as BA books the GUF into Revenue as well… I know A is used for first.. which is the Revenue class for Club and for WT+ that Needs to be available on expertflyer ? thnx
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
You need I availability to upgrade to club, and T availability to upgrade into premium economy
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:52 am

Having acquired that promotional GUF1, I'm wondering if I'm able to upgrade an existing BA 125 booking from J (I) to F (A) after the fact?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Having acquired that promotional GUF1, I'm wondering if I'm able to upgrade an existing BA 125 booking from J (I) to F (A) after the fact?
yes. If it was just a normal cash booking for J and there is A class available you can call to apply your new GUF to it.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes. If it was just a normal cash booking for J and there is A class available you can call to apply your new GUF to it.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I would like to change a GUF2’d flight SFO-LHR-NCE. This is a revenue I ticket upgraded to A. The flight I’d like is showing A2 but I0. I can change the underlying flight due to BWC rules or because of PNR notes kindly inserted from the CCR to allow inbound change due to delayed outbound. However, the agent I called on the UK GCH line (9pm GMT) told me the ticket would be repriced at J tarif and then upgraded. Didn’t sound right to me. Also, the ticket was purchased in AMS, my account is in Germany. Agent told me I needed Dutch POS I-class availability and German POS A-class availability. While containing underlying logic, this smells like BS to me. Any ideas? My current plan is to call YouFirst tomorrow.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 12:25 pm

Since the AA update is this now possible:
Have a cash EU-UK-US booking. It's a mix of BA and AA.
The BA TATL legs each have A class availability in First and would like to upgrade.
Issued on an AA 001 ticket though, which I think will be the sticking point, as they're not actually AA metal flights, they're BA.
Still slowly learning since this new change! Cheers

​​​
Old Oct 7, 2022, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Since the AA update is this now possible:
Have a cash EU-UK-US booking. It's a mix of BA and AA.
The BA TATL legs each have A class availability in First and would like to upgrade.
Issued on an AA 001 ticket though, which I think will be the sticking point, as they're not actually AA metal flights, they're BA.
Still slowly learning since this new change! Cheers
​​​
AA SWUs can be applied to AA and BA flights on eticket numbers starting 001-
BA GUFs can be applied to AA and BA flights on eticket numbers starting 125-

I'd love to be proven wrong, but my understanding is that reverse is not true.
KARFA and wanderingjock like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by armouredant
AA SWUs can be applied to AA and BA flights on eticket numbers starting 001-
BA GUFs can be applied to AA and BA flights on eticket numbers starting 125-

I'd love to be proven wrong, but my understanding is that reverse is not true.
Ahh, ok! This is helpful.
And doesn't benefit me lol.
Thankyou for the info!
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:57 am
Suspended

Does anyone have a quick summary of the impact of the latest devaluation on gold upgrade vouchers?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.