Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
So... the Sneaky McSneakersons booked it into a BT fare. Wanted £200 to reissue on a standard ticket but a bit of threatening to get Amex to reverse the whole ticket charge as missold got them to do it for free.

Ball ache, but should be able to sort it now. ^
Aha, yes a BT fare will definitely mess up any chance of doing a UuA.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just checking but can GUF2's be used to upgrade a return ticket if travelling alone. Not the best use of one granted...

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Yes you can use a GUF2 for one. Just the same way.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
You definitely can.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
I'm happy to process any GUF2s with no service fee (booking into revenue classes, A, I, T) if ticket is to/from the North America. Send PM.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GGL
Rather chuffed to have achieved mine as of yesterday.

Is it restricted to ex-UK departure? As I can see benefit in using it for AMS to CPT myself. Would that work?

Also can I tier the upgrade: i.e. if I book WT+ out and CW return will that function correctly into CW and F respectively? It all depends on overall ££s for me is all.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Rather chuffed to have achieved mine as of yesterday.

Is it restricted to ex-UK departure? As I can see benefit in using it for AMS to CPT myself. Would that work?
It isn't restricted to exUK bookings. Using them for exEU BA ticketed bookings is fine.

Also can I tier the upgrade: i.e. if I book WT+ out and CW return will that function correctly into CW and F respectively? It all depends on overall ££s for me is all.
Yes that's fine.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
It isn't restricted to exUK bookings. Using them for exEU BA ticketed bookings is fine.

Yes that's fine.
Excellent news. It's probably been asked before: for paid bookings, what's the TP awarded? That of booked class, or that of travelled class?

I may end up using it with a 2-4-1 anyway and getting no Avios/TP as a result. Depends what I can find that's useful in the coming weeks.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:49 am

Excellent news. It's probably been asked before: for paid bookings, what's the TP awarded? That of booked class, or that of travelled class?

I may end up using it with a 2-4-1 anyway and getting no Avios/TP as a result. Depends what I can find that's useful in the coming weeks.
Booked class. Sometimes you get an error in your favour, but you are only entitled to TPs and Avios for the class you originally booked in to and not the one you upgraded to - like a UuA.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:28 pm

Well the redemption option seems wholly ineffective.

Need to find me a decent travel agent in the UK/Holland.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:32 pm

Also how many segments can there be to a trip? I may end up with 3x flights each way overall.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:34 pm

Also how many segments can there be to a trip? I may end up with 3x flights each way overall.
As many as you can get on the booking I believe. Bear in mind you can't apply a GUF to a TA booking with non-BA flight number included.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
As many as you can get on the booking, in line with the standard redemption rules.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I have a few questions about GUF2. It seems to be easy if done through ba.com as it just looks for the redemption availability on BA flights.

If the booking contains a codeshare (LHR-XXX on BA metal, XXX-YYY on non-BA metal albeit with a BA flight number) then a TA will have to become involved.

Additionally if there are no Avios seats in the higher class then a TA will also have to get involved as they can book the GUF2 into a revenue bucket.

So for us FTers a TA is quite important. So far Amex and Propeller can do this who are the only two I've heard of.

Do these ticket immediately through a TA? How much hassle do people get with the more complex GUF2/TA bookings?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:22 pm

So, this an interesting one. Realistically, you shouldn't be allowed to book on flights without BA metal; however, there are ways around this if you find a VERY good TA (not Amex Travel!).

In terms of ticketing, it all depends on how you book. If it's done as a standard booking, it may ticket quickly. On the other hand, I've used a TA and taken advantage of special 'contracted' fares where the ticket was booked months in advance, but issued closer to departure, allowing me to retain a high level of flexibility, which has come in very useful on more than one occasion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.