Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Quick question - if booking Avios + GUF2 is it neccessary to have availability in both classes (for the sake of simplicity, let's say WT+ and CW) or is it sufficient to have availability in CW (where we want to end up in)?
I need to go to TYO at fairly short notice along with my son.

I've looked into ex EU WT+ fares but they are quite steep for the dates I'm looking at and so figure I might be able to use Avios instead. Unfortunately there is no availability at all. I can find some by routing to PEK or ICN but then getting to TYO is a bit tricky although doable.

I understand that a TA should be able to book into J without any visible availability but if I want to use Avios is that possible if there isn't ANY availability on the route? In short, I want two seats for LHR-TYO-LHR in J using a GUF2 and a 2-4-1 when there is no W or J availability. Is this possible or, as I suspect, I'll have to find the best ex-EU. I don't need the TP's and I'm fairly Avios rich at the moment so it would be a shame.

Really annoying timing as well as all the Qatar flights are gone!

Regards

AQ
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alwaysquestions
I need to go to TYO at fairly short notice along with my son.

I've looked into ex EU WT+ fares but they are quite steep for the dates I'm looking at and so figure I might be able to use Avios instead. Unfortunately there is no availability at all. I can find some by routing to PEK or ICN but then getting to TYO is a bit tricky although doable.

I understand that a TA should be able to book into J without any visible availability but if I want to use Avios is that possible if there isn't ANY availability on the route? In short, I want two seats for LHR-TYO-LHR in J using a GUF2 and a 2-4-1 when there is no W or J availability. Is this possible or, as I suspect, I'll have to find the best ex-EU. I don't need the TP's and I'm fairly Avios rich at the moment so it would be a shame.

Really annoying timing as well as all the Qatar flights are gone!

Regards

AQ
A TA can't do anything with your 2-4-1 or anything which involves avios.

There is some more information up thread on using a GUF with a TA, and also on this site aimed at trade support http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-card-upgrade

As you can see you can use a TA to book a revenue ticket and then get the TA to apply a GUF to get you in to the next cabin if seats are still available in specified selling classes.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Thanks KARFA

I didn't think I'd got the hang of it, now off to ITA to try a few other European departure points.

AQ
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Quick question, sorry if already asked, can't spot it, if I have a booking made direct with BA OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD rtn where there is A availability on the LHR-SIN-SYD sectors, can I use a GUF1 to upgrade or would I of had to have Norway registered as my country on BAEC?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by navylad
Quick question, sorry if already asked, can't spot it, if I have a booking made direct with BA OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD rtn where there is A availability on the LHR-SIN-SYD sectors, can I use a GUF1 to upgrade or would I of had to have Norway registered as my country on BAEC?
You can use the GUF, no need to change your registered country to Norway.

Have you got a joker too? If not then A class is irrelevant, you need to check for normal reward availability.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by KARFA
You can use the GUF, no need to change your registered country to Norway.

Have you got a joker too? If not then A class is irrelevant, you need to check for normal reward availability.
VMTs (Very Many Thanks) I do have two jokers remaining, I should point out this is a cash not redemption booking, no idea if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
VMTs (Very Many Thanks) I do have two jokers remaining, I should point out this is a cash not redemption booking, no idea if that makes a difference.
It doesn't make a difference whether it is a cash or redemption booking - the "registered country" requirement only comes into play for post-booking Avios (and I presume GUF1/2) upgrades of trips booked through a travel agent (in which case the rules at least say this is only possible if the travel agent is in the same country as your registered address).

In your case (assuming this is a booking direct with BA) you can upgrade using the GUF1 either directly if redemption availability is there, or you can use the joker to open up redemption availability (subject to the usual requirements concerning "A" fare-availability and whether a joker has already been used on the flights you wish to upgrade).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
It doesn't make a difference whether it is a cash or redemption booking - the "registered country" requirement only comes into play for post-booking Avios (and I presume GUF1/2) upgrades of trips booked through a travel agent (in which case the rules at least say this is only possible if the travel agent is in the same country as your registered address).

In your case (assuming this is a booking direct with BA) you can upgrade using the GUF1 either directly if redemption availability is there, or you can use the joker to open up redemption availability (subject to the usual requirements concerning "A" fare-availability and whether a joker has already been used on the flights you wish to upgrade).

Perfect many thanks; Cinders you shall go to the ball
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
As already noted - yes you can upgrade that by using a joker if A-class is available (or normal redemption availability to avoid using joker).

The better option would of course have been to use a TA and apply the GUF1 at time of booking, but it appears you have already made the booking direct with BA some time ago?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by skba1
As already noted - yes you can upgrade that by using a joker if A-class is available (or normal redemption availability to avoid using joker).

The better option would of course have been to use a TA and apply the GUF1 at time of booking, but it appears you have already made the booking direct with BA some time ago?
Excuse my ignorance, but why is it better to use a TA for this?

All booked in any case, First ticket issued.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
Excuse my ignorance, but why is it better to use a TA for this?
Using a TA would negate the need for using a joker to upgrade, as they can only use revenue buckets to upgrade whereas BA directly use redemption availability.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Using a TA would negate the need for using a joker to upgrade, as they can only use revenue buckets to upgrade whereas BA directly use redemption availability.
Fair enough, guess it depends if the TA can get the same fare as available online direct; I haven't another use for either of my jokers yet so fine about using it for this, but maybe if I am a little more organised, I'll use a TA to compare prices first next time. Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Fair enough, guess it depends if the TA can get the same fare as available online direct; I haven't another use for either of my jokers yet so fine about using it for this, but maybe if I am a little more organised, I'll use a TA to compare prices first next time. Thanks.
It is possible I think that a TA could get a better fare than online direct - though I am not totally certain about this.

I write that based on some reports on this forum, that when upgrading with a GUF using a TA, only availability in the upgraded class is necessary. This means that they can use the lowest price base fare (the upgraded-from class) that satisfies all the advance purchase/minumum stay/weekday etc. requirements, even if there is no availability in that fare bucket.

I am not sure whether booking online direct with BA allows the same possibility (i.e. whether it would be priced directly into the next higher "upgraded-from" fare bucket). If not, then there could be a substantial price difference (certainly more than the TA booking fee).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
You are correct as per above.

Also you get TP and Avios earnings for the upgraded class with a TA, which you do not if booking through BA.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver
Stopover on GUF?

Can I include a stopover on an itinerary where I intend to use GUFs? So, say LHR - SIN (long stopover) - SYD - SIN - LHR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.