Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
You need a GGL Joker to unlock the F availability and then you can use your GUF2 with ease . I used one this way last week and combined it with a 2-4-1. 2 return transatlantic tickets in F for 100,000 Avios, $2.3K taxes a 2-4-1 and a GUF2.
I completely agree but I'll have to wait until mid Mar before I earn that opportunity! By then I should have 3 Jokers - 2 through GGL qualification and a third through hitting 6k TPs. So I'll probably use of the jokers to open up F availability on one of my existing bookings. If I don't use one of them for that, I probably won't end up using them all before they expire.

After that I'll be going down the revenue route. That will then give me the power of having the GUF2s BEFORE purchasing my ticket in a sale, rather than trying to make best use of a GUF2 against an existing booking, when you're in the lap of the gods.
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
nux, everyone's situation is no doubt different. I can see your logic but in our case I currently have 3 GUF2s and 2 Chase travel-together tickets with the oldest of each due to expire soon. I may as well save 50,000 Avios as there's no point keeping hold of them for them to simply expire.
Yes of course I fully agree, far better to use it for any redemption rather than let it expire.
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Indeed I think it is a bit if a waste using a GUF2 n combination with a 2-4-1 redemption, you only save 50k Avios. If you use it without the 2-4-1 you can save more than 100k Avios depending on route.
As nux said above, it only values the GUF2 at 50,000 points. Had I not used it, my oldest GUF2 would have been worth precisely 0.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:58 am

Agree everyone's situation is different but if you travel enough to get 3 GUF2s why wouldn't you apply them to a revenue flight?
I'm trying L-O-M. I've now used 2 and have 2 left (one on a redemption flight and one on a revenue ticket). I'm trying to keep them for when there are two of us traveling together so that we can maximise value but that's not happened that much recently.

In fact, I think you chastised me recently on a parallel thread for using a GUF2 on a revenue ticket from WT+ to J .
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just a reminder that if your GUF2 is about to expire you can ring into GGL and get them to extend it by 6 months. Plus you can use GUF2 for just one person if you are Johnny No Mates.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just a reminder that if your GUF2 is about to expire you can ring into GGL and get them to extend it by 6 months. Plus you can use GUF2 for just one person if you are Johnny No Mates.
Thanks. I've tried to resist the GUF1 route. Seems so sad
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I fear my GUF2 will have to expire, between finding it impossible to get the TAs on island to understand how it works (not helped with the instructions link being dead, thanks for the pdf version posted above), and heehaw availability for direct BA flights, into the wind it shall go! Expires in July, I'd like to think i can find some use of it before then (likely as a GUF1), but hope is fading.

One note, would the assumption be to use amex to book it i would need an amex card (i have one with work, but cant charge personal expenses to it).
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:42 am

deleted

Last edited by rapidex; Jan 27, 2014 at 1:24 pm Reason: error
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Thanks. I've tried to resist the GUF1 route. Seems so sad
I have used several like this it does depend on how you best get value. I agree there is a natural temptation sometimes to keep them for the best value trip rather than use them when you can easily do so. I haven't had any expire on me yet though lol, I can't say the same re: GGL jokers.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:47 am

Deleted

Last edited by billinghamn; Jan 29, 2014 at 1:01 am
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
IME, the GUF2 from J to F has given me the tier points and Avios for J not F, which is what I had expected.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:11 pm

Thanks to golfmad, all I'll say is that I'm looking forward to my first use of a GUF2!!!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Does anyone know if you can use GUF2 for hotline fares?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
In what way? You can upgrade hotlines I think but you need redemption availability.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
In what way? You can upgrade hotlines I think but you need redemption availability.
Yes and thanks, Land-of-Miles, I am thinking of upgrading a J hotline booking to F. I am happy to check redemption availability, but suspect this is not a time to try to use my GGL joker to guarantee availability?

Has anyone had any experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.