Understanding GUF2

Old Sep 29, 15, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by danielbk
When you book via a travel agent it goes into a revenue booking, the from class is irrelevant, only what you are upgrading into.

So T for WTP
I CW
A First

The amount of payment is calculated as the lowest possible legal fare for the underlining class of service at time of booking (not the lowest available, so you can pay for I class even if it wasn't available at the time you upgraded to A)
Thanks Daniel - does this also apply to Avios (241) bookings?
Old Sep 29, 15, 4:53 am

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
Originally Posted by ENTP
Thanks Daniel - does this also apply to Avios (241) bookings?
Unfortunately not. BA keeps it quite restrictive on the card redemptions (I assume those are the one you mean?)

No problem with AMEX IAP 2-4-1, but those are more expensive.
Old Sep 29, 15, 5:52 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by danielbk
The amount of payment is calculated as the lowest possible legal fare for the underlining class of service at time of booking (not the lowest available, so you can pay for I class even if it wasn't available at the time you upgraded to A)
Nice - I knew it didn't need availability in the underlying class but didn't realise it was based on the lowest possible legal fare. Need to keep accruing these!
Old Sep 29, 15, 5:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ENTP
Might be a daft question - to use the GUF directly at booking, is award availability also needed in the "from" class as well as the "to" class?
I'm not entirely sure you received the answer you were looking for. The other possible answer is that you'll be using it without a TA at the time of booking and using redemption availability. If so, the answer is 'no'. Like any other Avios upgrade, you only need availability in the cabin in which you would like to sit.
Old Sep 29, 15, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
KIV that foreign metal can only be on the ticket if it's under a BA codeshare (foreign metal flights wont get upgraded) if you book via a TA.

as soon as there's a CX, QF, QR, AA etc flight number on the ticket, BA will reject the TA GUF booking.
Old Nov 16, 15, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Sorry for bumping this out of the blue but I've read conflicting info.

Using a GUF2 via BA - are you allowed other carriers in the PNR or other carriers under the BA codeshare?

Same question for using a GUF2 via a TA. Are other carriers allowed in the PNR? Or even under a BA codeshare?

Appreciate any guidance.
Old Nov 16, 15, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by surryson
Sorry for bumping this out of the blue but I've read conflicting info.

Using a GUF2 via BA - are you allowed other carriers in the PNR or other carriers under the BA codeshare?

Same question for using a GUF2 via a TA. Are other carriers allowed in the PNR? Or even under a BA codeshare?

Appreciate any guidance.
For a TA: foreign metal under a BA codeshare is definitely allowed (but of course it won't be upgraded).

Recently it has been rumoured to me that some travel agents are able to apply GUFs to PNRs containing non-BA prefixed flights. This I cannot confirm as yet. It is not supposed to be allowed according to the Ts&Cs.

Couldn't answer this if BA is responsible for applying the GUF.
Old Nov 16, 15, 4:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Booking with BA you can have other carriers. Booking with a TA it seems you can just about do it if your non BA metal flights are under the BA codeshare.
Old Nov 16, 15, 4:25 pm

Thanks to both of you for the reply. Appreciated.

Now to find a decent TA.
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:17 am

Having drawn a blank so far today, is anyone able to recommend a TA via PM please? I'm trying to book an ex-EU using GUF2 on the BA sectors. Thanks
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by surryson
Having drawn a blank so far today, is anyone able to recommend a TA via PM please? I'm trying to book an ex-EU using GUF2 on the BA sectors. Thanks
Not tried them yet but http://www.propellertravel.com/professional-travellers/ is run by a FlyerTalker and will do GUFs for a 35 fee.
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Etihad Guest
If time isn't critical for booking (they're currently moving offices, so slight delay to be expected), I'd recommend danielbk and his team at Propeller Travel. They've been great with hotel and flight bookings for me and friends.
Old Nov 17, 15, 10:57 am

Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 15, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Another of those fabulously enlightening posts (thanks for resurrecting) that has confirmed whether or not I should try and make another 650-800 TPs sometime before October next year!!

Thank you (I think!)

Maybe that First to Sydney (via OSL?) isn't so far out of reach?
Old Nov 17, 15, 11:57 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by KARFA
Booking with BA you can have other carriers. Booking with a TA it seems you can just about do it if your non BA metal flights are under the BA codeshare.
I've had Propeller do this for me - there's a two stage process involved where BA has to approve the GUF usage first, then they add flight on. First time worked fine, second they didn't add the extra flight on (by the time I was going to chase I needed to cancel anyway!), so one to keep a close eye on...

Search this Thread