FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Clarification about lounge access when connecting from AA F (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1545486-clarification-about-lounge-access-when-connecting-aa-f.html)

LewDog Jan 26, 2014 11:28 am

Clarification about lounge access when connecting from AA F

Greetings BA board,

[TL;dr version: Confirming that we have CCR access when taking AA F JFK-LHR, connecting to BA J LHR-GVA same day.]

Long-time reader, first-time poster (here.) Wondering if you can give me a quick hand.

A few years ago, my wife and I flew AA F from JFK to LHR, connecting to NCE on BA in Club Europe. This was after the AA/BA/IB JV began.

I studied the lounge access policies prior to departure, and believed that we were entitled to access the Concorde Room at LHR while awaiting our onward flight to NCE, by virtue of our same-day long haul F flight on AA.

Indeed, we were immediately admitted via the unmarked door. A short while later, after checking my bags and showering, I asked one of the attendants where the best place in the lounge would be to get a bite to eat. He inquired as to our travel and told us that we didn't belong in the CCR/F lounge, and instead shuffled us off to the Business lounge.

My wife wanted to let it go, but I spoke to another representative in the Business lounge who was extremely apologetic and agreed that indeed, per the handbook, we did have CCR access. She called her colleague who shooed us away (who was not even remotely apologetic, but rather blamed poor training on BA's part, but that's another story) and we returned to the land of the horse lamps.

The purpose of my post all these years later is that we will soon be taking a similar journey - JFK-LHR on AA F, followed by LHR-GVA in CE, and would like to enjoy the CCR while we await our onward trip. In the intervening years, multiple AA folks have assured me that my understanding of the lounge access policy is correct, and the BA and oneworld sites would seem to concur. But I ask the experts here: am I right? And if so, what would be the best way to politely insist that we do have access, should we encounter a similar challenge? Is there a handbook page I can direct the attendant to, or a hotline I can call?

Many thanks in advance,
Lewis

Genius1 Jan 26, 2014 11:34 am

You must be departing on or connecting from a BA First flight in order to access the CCR.

The CCR is not a oneworld lounge.

You'll be welcomed at the Galleries First lounge as you are connecting from a oneworld first class flight, or you can use any of the Galleries Club lounges.

nux Jan 26, 2014 11:34 am

The Concorde Room is not a oneworld lounge, and so oneworld rules do not apply. Were you previously shuffled across to the F Lounge, or upstairs to the J Lounge?

As per oneworld rules, you are entitled to F Lounge access as you are connecting from a longhaul F flight to a shorthaul oneworld flight.

I do not think an inbound AA F flight allows CCR access but could be wrong.

DWFI Jan 26, 2014 11:35 am

Sorry to break the bad news.
You will NOT have CCR access in this instance.

If you were flying BA in F you would. But with AA, no. The simple rule is that unless there is a special situation (you are GGL/Prem or a handful of other possibilities), no BA F = no CCR.

crazy8534 Jan 26, 2014 11:35 am

Bit of a nasty one here but my understanding is that because the BA CCR is technically not a oneworld lounge you would only have access to the BA F lounge. You were entitled to the access you got first time round as you had a BA F ticket.

Have a pleasant trip anyway.

crazy8534 Jan 26, 2014 11:36 am

I'm so glad I wasn't the last of 4 people to tell you that all at pretty much exactly the same time.....
Welcome to the BA board anyway!!

LewDog Jan 26, 2014 11:45 am

Very many thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

OK, this is great info.

In the example from a few years ago, we were shuffled to the J lounge (not the non-CCR F lounge, if that makes sense.)

So to avoid any confusion/disappointment in the moment, it sounds as though the best thing for us to do would be to head to Galleries First, and NOT CCR upon arrival to T5 while awaiting our onward travel, correct? Is the marking relatively obvious as to how to enter Galleries First as opposed to CCR? Apologies, it's been a few years, but I don't seem to recall how the F lounge is physically separated from CCR.

[ETA: This may be a question of personal taste/preference, but would it perhaps make more sense to wait out the bulk of our layover at T3 AA Arrivals, and then transit to T3, versus the T5 lounge/layover?

Many thanks once again,
Lewis

Speedbird876 Jan 26, 2014 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by LewDog (Post 22226056)

... Concorde Room ... we returned to the land of the horse lamps...

Lewis

^ This should be its new name.

Genius1 Jan 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by LewDog (Post 22226162)
it sounds as though the best thing for us to do would be to head to Galleries First, and NOT CCR upon arrival to T5 while awaiting our onward travel, correct? Is the marking relatively obvious as to how to enter Galleries First as opposed to CCR? Apologies, it's been a few years, but I don't seem to recall how the F lounge is physically separated from CCR.

[ETA: This may be a question of personal taste/preference, but would it perhaps make more sense to wait out the bulk of our layover at T3 AA Arrivals, and then transit to T3, versus the T5 lounge/layover?

You absolutely should go to the Galleries First lounge - there is no point going to the CCR, as you're not eligible for access. Make sure you keep hold of your AA F boarding pass stubs to show on entry to the Galleries First lounge.

The AA Arrivals lounge is not a patch on Galleries First - just stay airside on arrival in T3, following the purple Flight Connections signs.

Once in T5 and through security, go down one level to gate level. Follow the signs for South lounges. You'll go up an escalator and will find yourself in the lobby between the Galleries First lounge and the CCR (the Galleries Club lounge is upstairs, above both of these lounges). The Galleries First reception is immediately on the left in the lobby.

Galleries First really is a very nice lounge - nicer than anything AA have, at any rate! The main differences compared to the CCR are that the Galleries First lounge is much larger and less private, with more of a focus on self-service (the CCR is fully waiter service).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ies-first.html

LewDog Jan 26, 2014 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 22226272)
You absolutely should go to the Galleries First lounge - there is no point going to the CCR, as you're not eligible for access. Make sure you keep hold of your AA F boarding pass stubs to show on entry to the Galleries First lounge.

The AA Arrivals lounge is not a patch on Galleries First - just stay airside on arrival in T3, following the purple Flight Connections signs.

Once in T5 and through security, go down one level to gate level. Follow the signs for South lounges. You'll go up an escalator and will find yourself in the lobby between the Galleries First lounge and the CCR (the Galleries Club lounge is upstairs, above both of these lounges). The Galleries First reception is immediately on the left in the lobby.

Galleries First really is a very nice lounge - nicer than anything AA have, at any rate! The main differences compared to the CCR are that the Galleries First lounge is much larger and less private, with more of a focus on self-service (the CCR is fully waiter service).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ies-first.html

Fantastic - bookmarked. Thank you!

Genius1 Jan 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by LewDog (Post 22226503)
Fantastic - bookmarked. Thank you!

Enjoy! Do post about your experience, it's always interesting to hear!

golfmad Jan 27, 2014 1:23 am

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 22226089)
Sorry to break the bad news.
You will NOT have CCR access in this instance.

If you were flying BA in F you would. But with AA, no. The simple rule is that unless there is a special situation (you are GGL/Prem or a handful of other possibilities), no BA F = no CCR.

To be precise, a GGL won't get access either. You'd have to have a CCR card and I don't think that allows the holder to take in a guest so no good for a couple.

corporate-wage-slave Jan 27, 2014 1:35 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 22229940)
To be precise, a GGL won't get access either. You'd have to have a CCR card and I don't think that allows the holder to take in a guest so no good for a couple.

You are allowed a guest with the Concorde Card.

golfmad Jan 27, 2014 6:39 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 22229965)
You are allowed a guest with the Concorde Card.

Oh, right. I didn't know that. Just a lowly GGL still 1K points from a CCR card and don't think I'll make it this year :(. I took my information from the online Ts and Cs on the BA site. In clause 2 of the CCR card terms it says:

Only the member named on the card may use it (no guest access allowed)

Is this information on their site incorrect or have I misinterpreted it?

frb98mf Jan 27, 2014 8:00 am

Here's a question - under the JV, if the OP booked his ticket on a BA flight number, surely he should be treated identically if he flies AA metal or BA metal?

Otherwise I agree with the other replies, Flounge only...