Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways LHR-GIG routings in 1996-2001

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hello all,

I lived in Rio de Janeiro from 1996-2001 and was trying to remember if BA flew LHR-GRU-GIG-LHR in those days or LHR-GIG-LHR.

I flew to London on several occasions with both BA and Varig but was debating with my wife the other day whether the flights stopped in GRU. She is convinced they were all non stop to GIG but I am sure I remember some of the flights flew to GRU first then went on to GIG on the same metal.

Can anyone help me with this?

Flyingcrazy
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I was on the first flight when we restarted flying to Brazil, the Tristar -500 operated LHR-GIG-GRU-GIG-LHR.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
BLUT & BLUS iirc.

I thought a lot of the South America flights went from Gatwick for a while ?
Around this time, when BA had some 747-400s based there?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am not exactly sure of the routings ex-Heathrow but at some point in the 1990s they went from LGW, along with lots of other South America - i.e EZE/SCL and CCS/BOG - as well as a number of the African routes.

The routing I recall ex-Gatwick alternated between LGW-GIG-GRU-LGW and LGW-GRU-GIG-LGW.

Perhaps someone has an old timetable they can consult for you?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
I seem to remember it depended upon the day of the week: some were LHR/GIG/GRU (weekdays?) others LHR/GRU/GIG and vv. How/if this fitted in with the GRU/EZE extension I've no idea.

BTW I first started flying to Brazil in 1995 and has always been from LHR.

Last edited by Embuexpat; Jan 24, 2014 at 10:40 am Reason: Data point re LGW
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, BLUT and BLUS from Air Lanka, difficult aircraft to work on as they had non standard galleys and equipment.
We also operated LHR-POS-CCS-BOG-CCS-POS-LHR.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Embuexpat
I seem to remember it depended upon the day of the week: some were LHR/GIG/GRU (weekdays?) others LHR/GRU/GIG and vv. How/if this fitted in with the GRU/EZE extension I've no idea.
That was much later.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA235
The routing I recall ex-Gatwick alternated between LGW-GIG-GRU-LGW and LGW-GRU-GIG-LGW.
Correct, it used to be LGW to Rio then Sao Paulo on Thursdays and Saturdays. LGW to Sao Paulo then Rio on Mondays, Fridays and Sundays. Returning the same evening. In the days when BA had Jumbos at LGW.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
There are a number of archive sites around with historical timetables.

According to this one, in Oct 96, BA served Heathrow and Santiago from GIG, using 744 equipment.

http://www.departedflights.com/GIG96intro.html

This one is interesting too: http://www.departedflights.com/BA011680intro.html, when BA still served (British) Guyana using 707s Interesting to see how things, global politics and economics have changed in 30 odd years.

When did BA buy BCAL and inherit the S Am routes ex-LGW ?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum

BA bought BCal in 1987.

In the old pre-competition days BCal had the monopoly for UK airlines flying to South America. Hence the LGW long hauls to South America in the early 90s.

Be good if BA went back to some former BCal/BA destinations such as SCL, LIM, CCS and BOG.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:10 am

Well, I flew GIG-GRU-LGW roundtrip in January 2001 and that was all they offered at the time. There was no alternative for a nonstop routing on another day of the week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.