Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary taxi service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Complimentary taxi service

I remember BA trailing a complimentary taxi service to Heathrow for passengers in CW/First. Why did they end this?

Cost I assume. But I find it odd they dont match competitors like VS.

Was the trial service free for all ticket types and redemptions?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DG55
I remember BA trailing a complimentary taxi service to Heathrow for passengers in CW/First. Why did they end this?

Cost I assume. But I find it odd they dont match competitors like VS.

Was the trial service free for all ticket types and redemptions?
I assume take up (and additional ticket sales) didn't justify continuing the experiment.

VS don't offer this service on all tickets only relatively high fare buckets. EK and VS also have Tristar as their supplier and Tristar is probably the only firm that would have the capacity to manage BA's volumes.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
QF do it and do it pretty well (compared to the rest of the services they offer)
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DG55
I remember BA trailing a complimentary taxi service to Heathrow for passengers in CW/First.
Did it? I wouldn't trust my memory on that one but I had a feeling that they were only trialling it in F and not CW? Again I may very well be wrong.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Did it? I wouldn't trust my memory on that one but I had a feeling that they were only trialling it in F and not CW? Again I may very well be wrong.
I don't think I used it when I could have chosen to. I hate long taxi journeys, London taxis are really uncomfortable compared to a nice car.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Yes - it was just paid F (F or A fares). Shame it didn't continue but I guess it wasn't seen as increasing sales or reducing losses to other carriers so wasn't cost effective.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:30 pm

They've introduced this in SYD for F/A pax, and I'm booked on it for my trip back in May.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
F, A, J, and C fares for certain postal codes.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...j-tickets.html

Here is another one for first passengers:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...first-pax.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jan 21, 2014 at 6:19 pm Reason: add link
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
BA has had trails of a couple of F services, none of which stayed.

Remember the porter service for F check-in at LHR T5?

Any others I cannot recall at the moment?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:06 am

EK are actually dropping their chauffeur drive service in Hong Kong as of March 2014.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Emirates' "chauffeur drive" is, for me, very attractive and is one reason why I choose EK over BA if possible. To be able to book a Mercedes S-class transfer at the beginning and, more importantly, at the end of my trips is invaluable. On arriving back in the UK I really appreciate not having to battle with getting into, across and out of London by rail or the alternative of tackling the M25 after a long journey (not to mention the cost of airport parking).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I assume take up (and additional ticket sales) didn't justify continuing the experiment.

VS don't offer this service on all tickets only relatively high fare buckets. EK and VS also have Tristar as their supplier and Tristar is probably the only firm that would have the capacity to manage BA's volumes.

VS offer it on all UC fare buckets (J,C,D &I) except 'Z' discounted cash and 'G' reward flights.

But if you have a 'G' you can use 17.5k FC miles to 'buy' a VS CDC.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
It's all a bit hypothetical unless you buy flex tickets (or someone else is paying your fare). I'm not in to spending £8k-£10k on long-haul J fares and if I were I doubt the cost of local ground transport would be high on my list of concerns. When the limo is bundled into a discounted fare then it can become a deal breaker. I remember MAN-SYD-MAN in J with EK for under £2k and with the limo thrown in it was too good to refuse. EK's chauffeur service also operates over a wide radius I seem to recall.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:38 am

Purely from a personal point of view, I appreciate the ease of being able to book transfers online with the likes of EK, EY et al.

However, if I'm travelling from my 'home' station, then I actually prefer to use my normal limo company, and I find downroute suppliers can be very variable.

Just recently, I've had a scruffy Lexus saloon provided for an F transfer, and also a fairly uncomfortable minivan.

Conversely, I've also had a very swish and beautifully looked-after S-Class Mercedes on a J transfer.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Seat64A
Emirates' "chauffeur drive" is, for me, very attractive and is one reason why I choose EK over BA if possible. To be able to book a Mercedes S-class transfer at the beginning and, more importantly, at the end of my trips is invaluable. On arriving back in the UK I really appreciate not having to battle with getting into, across and out of London by rail or the alternative of tackling the M25 after a long journey (not to mention the cost of airport parking).
You can do all that regardless of carrier. If prices are the same, you have a point, but there's nothing stopping you spending 150GBP on Merc transfers outside of any ticket if buying F / J on BA is slightly cheaper than EK/EY/etc (which happens).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.