Pregnancy + Meals onboard

Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone. My pregnant wife and i are flying to Dubai a week today and when we fly she will be 8 weeks pregnant. My query is about on board meals. Obviously there are a lot of things a pregnant woman is not allowed to eat so i'm wondering how this works on a plane.

1) Should we let BA know prior to our flight or just mention it to the crew when we board.

2) I did a quick search for a 'pregnant' meal option and couldn't find anything. Does one exist, will the crew know what to do onboard or do we simply have to 'deal with it' , so to speak.

Should point out we are flying in Club World.

Appreciate any advice,

Thanks

Chris
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by lighting
Hi everyone. My pregnant wife and i are flying to Dubai a week today and when we fly she will be 8 weeks pregnant. My query is about on board meals. Obviously there are a lot of things a pregnant woman is not allowed to eat so i'm wondering how this works on a plane.

1) Should we let BA know prior to our flight or just mention it to the crew when we board.

2) I did a quick search for a 'pregnant' meal option and couldn't find anything. Does one exist, will the crew know what to do onboard or do we simply have to 'deal with it' , so to speak.

Should point out we are flying in Club World.

Appreciate any advice,

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris, there is no such thing a pregnant meal and to be honest I wouldn't have a clue what she should or shouldn't eat.
There is no point in ringing BA, but I would suggest taking a look at the special meals available and see which is the closest option.
Whatever you decide, the crew will work with you and do their best to find things suitable.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Not that I'm an expert, but unless there are allergies involved (i.e. pregnancy irrelevant) is it really a problem with one meal during a flight? It's not like anything she would eat on board would instantly kill her or the baby...

But then again, I'm no doctor and being a man, I've never been pregnant.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC
The advice is just to avoid raw eggs and anything that might give you food poisoning. So the same as for most people really.

There shouldn't be a problem, no need for a special meal.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's been a long time since I've had to worry about this, but surely it's no smoking, no drinking, watch out for unpasteurised cheese and raw meat, fish and eggs? If so BA rarely goes down this road anyway, since they're bad news for anyone with impaired immune systems. Having said that, I suspect the average Spanish woman would scoff the lot! On the other hand I can perhaps see a case of Bring Your Own if you want peace of mind, I guess the science has changed the picture over recent years. At least we have found a happy user for the CCR burger!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
There are very few foods that are recommended not to be eaten during pregnancy, so I think you'll be fine. I'm sure that she'll be able to eat virtually anything that is served on board. There must be many hundreds or thousands of women who eat on board aircraft each year who don't yet know they are pregnant, so I wouldn't worry too much!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. I guess this being our first we are being slightly precious about the whole thing and taking every possible precaution.

Thanks Guys
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
I think the best thing to do is avoid all meats and fish in case they are undercooked, and any dairy products in case they've been sat outside a chilled area for too long.

I'd pick something 'bland' or 'vegetarian' from the meal preference bit to be on the safe side, and then taste it upon arrival before giving it to your wife.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
I think the best thing to do is avoid all meats and fish in case they are undercooked, and any dairy products in case they've been sat outside a chilled area for too long.
Err ... how about suggesting your wife eats what she fancies?

No meat or fish or dairy sounds a bit OTT.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnan...ancy-diet.aspx does seem to agree:

Protein in pregnancy

Sources of protein include:

meat (but avoid liver)
fish
poultry
eggs
beans
pulses
nuts

Eat some protein every day.

Dairy in pregnancy
(...)
Dairy foods such as milk, cheese, fromage frais and yoghurt are important in pregnancy because they contain calcium and other nutrients that your baby needs.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
I think the best thing to do is avoid all meats and fish in case they are undercooked
Have the steak; that's never undercooked!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

We have four healthy kids, travelled a lot while Mrs LE was pregnant, and all food is fine. Craving towards ice cream of course! Congratulations, and she'll be fine.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Advice about avoiding unpasteurised cheese is important, but as mentioned BA would be nuts to be serving that anyway! I'm sure you already know the most important thing will be to avoid becoming dehydrated, take plenty of walks to keep the calf-pump mechanism active and consider graduated compression stockings. If there is a family history of venous thromboembolism take advice from your GP.

Have a fantastic trip and a healthy pregnancy!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lighting
Thank you for the responses. I guess this being our first we are being slightly precious about the whole thing and taking every possible precaution.

Thanks Guys
Oh, I remember those days well with our first one. I washed every bit of salad, berries of all description
by hand. She'll be fine if you stick to what you're used to doing. My wife flew several times whilst
pregnant and she never encountered a problem.

Congratulations!

H
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
It depends on your wife's sensitivity and how advanced the pregnancy is. She may not want to eat absolutely anything (or smell any food at all), or she may want to eat too many things that cannot be found on a plane. If you really want to be prepared, you have to bring your own. But she'll be fine with the usual BA food.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
My wife managed to get food poisoning whilst pregnant returning from China on BA.

Source was never identified, but she ate in the Air China lounge at the airport, on the plane and in the lounge at LHR, and was severely affected on the LHR-ABZ leg.

She recovered and baby was OK when born.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.