UuA based on fare basis or booking class?

Old Jan 18, 14, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
UuA based on fare basis or booking class?

I'm working on a tentative booking in WT+ LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX. The fare basis is TLNCNAS, however T class isn't available on one of the segments so it is booked in Y. My question is when I try to upgrade, will the segment that is booked in Y (on a T-fare) be upgradable to WT+ or CW?
Old Jan 18, 14, 10:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by challett View Post
I'm working on a tentative booking in WT+ LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX. The fare basis is TLNCNAS, however T class isn't available on one of the segments so it is booked in Y. My question is when I try to upgrade, will the segment that is booked in Y (on a T-fare) be upgradable to WT+ or CW?
For economy only the 3 most expensive booking types will allow upgrade via Avios one class up. If the booking type is Y, that would allow upgrading into WT+ if inventory is available.
Old Jan 18, 14, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
Originally Posted by Gshumway View Post
For economy only the 3 most expensive booking types will allow upgrade via Avios one class up. If the booking type is Y, that would allow upgrading into WT+ if inventory is available.
Thanks Gshum. I am aware of the booking class restrictions for upgrading BA tickets; that was not what I asked. The question is whether BA looks at the fare basis or the booking class to determine eligibility.
Old Jan 19, 14, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If one of the segments is booked in to Y booking class and you are sat in economy then you would only be able to UuA that segment in to WT+ subject to a WT+ reward seat being available. For the other segments in booking class W where you would be sat in WT+ you can UuA those in to CW if there is any availability.
Old Jan 19, 14, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Or you could wait and see if T class opens up. You would just pay the change fee of USD275 and then be able to UUA to CW throughout, availability permitting.

Not sure if you can do it the other way around: UUA three sectors first, then change and UUA the outstanding sector afterwards.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: