Gamesmanship with travel policy

Old Jan 16, 14, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Gamesmanship with travel policy

More anecdotally than anything else, but I'm curious what experiences people have had of this:

Our threshold for going WT+ on non-client funded travel is a miserly 8 hours. Funnily enough, NY is our second biggest office.

However, there are certain flights (BA 173 and 185) which clock in at 8 hours, 0 mins. So in theory I should be able to go WT+.

Am I being a cheeky bugger playing the system and selecting those flights, thus hitting that threshold? Or is it fair enough?

What are your thoughts about the return sector obviously being a fair bit shorter? What would senior managers on here feel about their staff applying this 'loophole'?

Have people done this with their own limits?
Cynically, are BA acting in regard to such policies - another reason for increasingly roomy sector times!?
Old Jan 16, 14, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by cazoz View Post
Our threshold for going WT+ on non-client funded travel is a miserly 8 hours. Funnily enough, NY is our second biggest office.
Does the travel policy state "over 8 hours" or "at least 8 hours" for WT+? If it's the former then those flights are still within the Y limit.
Old Jan 16, 14, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Our policy used to be 7hrs to go in J. It is now either 8 or 9hrs. Anyway, the site I go to is near Philadelphia so well under the threshold.

My view on your situation would be yes you would be a cheeky bugger, sorry.
Old Jan 16, 14, 10:42 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
So much of this answer would depend upon the culture at your office and the relationship you have with whoever will approve this travel. If you have a good relationship, could you just ask if it will be allowed? Or if you could book WT and then see if you could expense an airport upgrade if one is available, as those usually are not too expensive. Perhaps go WT+ on the overnight sector and WT on the daytime flight?
Old Jan 16, 14, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
There was a very similar question/thread last year: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ur-favour.html

Have a read to see what the likely responses will be. I predict you'll be called anything from a 'chancer' to a 'thief'

Not that you'll need a flame-proof suit. People here are far too nice for that !
Old Jan 16, 14, 10:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
Not that you'll need a flame-proof suit. People here are far too nice for that !
Yeah right, but maybe your incurable optimism is infectious?
Old Jan 16, 14, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Would entirely depend on the person who was flying.

If they were a 4 or a 5 - yes, 3 or below, not so much. To be honest, I am not massively keen on signing of travel at all for a 2 unless it's within the EU only
Old Jan 16, 14, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
I think you are playing the cheeky bugger.

Your 'loophole' could be someone elses dishonesty.

And that could then lead to others thinking 'what else is is fiddling'

And it will more likely than not get picked up by someone in the organisation either from reviewing travel bookings or expenses or even a colleague on the same flight who is in WT and notices you are in WT+
Old Jan 16, 14, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by dc2447 View Post
Would entirely depend on the person who was flying.

If they were a 4 or a 5 - yes, 3 or below, not so much. To be honest, I am not massively keen on signing of travel at all for a 2 unless it's within the EU only
What do these numbers mean?
Old Jan 16, 14, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer View Post
What do these numbers mean?
http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/performanc...s/rating-scale
Old Jan 16, 14, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
... or even a colleague on the same flight who is in WT and notices you are in WT+
If picking that specific flight allows travel in WT+ because of its duration, why would colleagues on that flight be in WT?

Someone recently reminded me of this:-

Old Jan 16, 14, 11:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Our company policy (for all staff) is WT for departing flights that are up to 7:59 and WT+ for flights that are 8 hours or longer.

There are no exceptions.

I do see staff going out the farthest distance on the first leg to qualify for WT+ and then getting connecting flights back to other locations that are under 8 hours for the return, however, this is accepted at our workplace.

I'd personally book WT and then see if you get an POUG or Airport upgrade offer if the flight is generally under the timing threshold (ignoring the exceptions you mentioned).

Can you book the flight privately and then claim back whatever WT would have cost at that time (take a screenshot)? This would allow you to fly the cabin you wish and work only pays an amount in line with company policy.

Would you fly WT+ for the same journey if it was your own money? If not, then hard to justify work paying for it...

Hope this helps, safe travels!
Old Jan 16, 14, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
6 hours is the threshold at my company for travel in J on planes and F on trains. This is relatively good because it means the whole BA longhaul network with the exception of DME is J.
Old Jan 16, 14, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by BotB View Post
Would you fly WT+ for the same journey if it was your own money? If not, then hard to justify work paying for it...
Where's the logic??

If I'm going to sit on a beach in Miami for 2 weeks then Y is fine. If I'm expected to pitch up at the office on arrival or the following morning then WT+ is the minimum for such a flight.

And don't forget, while your employer may have a policy, so have you. If you don't want to fly Y for 8+ hours don't do it. They can't force you. Most employers will try and get away with the cheapest possible ticket.

I fell for all that nonsence years ago and vowed never to travel under such duress again. Never sat at the back since.
Old Jan 16, 14, 12:00 pm

I don't get why some of you wouldn't at least ask your employer if it's ok? Of course, if they say no then you're not going to want to argue over a technicality in the policy, but that's the worst thing they can say.

So basically, you stand to lose nothing and possibly come away with a free upgrade. Win-win? (Though obviously say "I will travelling on BA173" not "I deliberately timed my schedule to get on one of the few flights that breach the 8 hour rule"!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: