Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Booking to Florida Next Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

Have I missed the boat already on this? I can't see any availability in CW or F to TPA, MCO or MIA. Well one or two, but nothing on the dates I would consider.

Bah... I'll never use this blasted companion voucher!!!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Redemption 101 .- if the airline can sell the ticket then they're not going to give it away...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, Bonvoy'd Platinum, Hilton & IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Have I missed the boat already on this? I can't see any availability in CW or F to TPA, MCO or MIA. Well one or two, but nothing on the dates I would consider.

Bah... I'll never use this blasted companion voucher!!!
Not at all an elegant solution but would you fly via JFK? Turnaround time is pretty good and you can scoop up an extra 60TPs each way. It would be F on AA's 738 which does the job reasonably nicely.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tricontinental
Not at all an elegant solution but would you fly via JFK? Turnaround time is pretty good and you can scoop up an extra 60TPs each way. It would be F on AA's 738 which does the job reasonably nicely.
OP mentions a companion voucher (AMEX presumably) which is only valid for travel on BA operated flights with BA prefix only.

Have you tried flights to Atlanta and making the drive down to Florida (ok if you're going to Orlando or Tampa but a bit too far for Miami)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Member

The boat may not have sailed. Keep checking, especially when the current paid sale ends.

Oh, you will only find first to MIA. TPA and MCO don't have a first cabin.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Blue
As has been mentioned elsewhere it has been getting harder year by year.

Last year I managed to get a return AMEX booking to MIA, (for November), at the beginning of March. I wanted Club and could only get First. During this time I was also for looking for TPA as well.

This year, 2014, I managed to get the outbound booked in December in Club; and the inbound booked in January in First.

Good luck.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Thanks all for comments/suggestions. Will keep looking...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by PaulN
OP mentions a companion voucher (AMEX presumably) which is only valid for travel on BA operated flights with BA prefix only.

Have you tried flights to Atlanta and making the drive down to Florida (ok if you're going to Orlando or Tampa but a bit too far for Miami)
I think that Tricontinental in his reply understands that as he mentions that the OP could pick up 60 tier points which he could only do by purchasing a separate ticket from NYC to Florida and using the voucher for LHR-NYC (or at least that's how I read the post).
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Accor Platinum
I noticed that it is always hard to find a CW flight to Florida.
Last time I did New York and then took a cheap flight with Jetblue down to Florida.
I would also consider Boston, Philadelphia, Washington and then take a cheap flight with Jetblue, Southwest... , and fly to Florida (FLL, RSW, PBI, MIA, TPA, MCO)
This is how I do it
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex, HH Gold
This is a tricky route for Avios flights at Christmas, I have family there and do the trip regularly but its VERY difficult to get availability in anything other than economy - weirdly its often easier to get avios flight availability out before Christmas but generally next to no availability coming back until at least after the 6th January (this year I got availability in business on an LGW - MCO flight for Dec 22nd in late November so they can come up, nothing for the return journey though so had to go cash and then you are at the mercy of last minute high fare buckets!)

I took the JFK option - flight into MCO and then connection and back from JFK, as other posters have said through you can only book the BA metal elements on avios, the internal connections must be cash and therefore you need to give yourself a decent connection time as you are not covered if you miss your BA flight due to any internal issues (watch luggage allowance differences too)

I wouldn't suggest burning your voucher on economy but if you do then go to TPA rather than MCO, MCO flight in economy is about as bad as it gets and MCO airport is just more hassle than TPA in general.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by EDItraveller
I took the JFK option - flight into MCO and then connection and back from JFK, as other posters have said through you can only book the BA metal elements on avios, the internal connections must be cash and therefore you need to give yourself a decent connection time as you are not covered if you miss your BA flight due to any internal issues (watch luggage allowance differences too)
No reason why you can't book an AA connection with avios, and the saving of going to NYC/IAD instead of Florida just about pays for the connection. AA has a policy that protects you even on separate tickets AA->BA (they will reroute you to your final destination) which is useful on the way back. On the way out even a modest insurance coverage for missed connection will probably cover a rebooking if BA/AA don't help out.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex, HH Gold
Would that still apply with an Amex voucher though @pauldb?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Maybe just get any east coast flight and the. Book an AA YUP flight, cheapish and first, so you get tier good points
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by EDItraveller
Would that still apply with an Amex voucher though @pauldb?
No, the Amex 2-4-1 can only be used on BA metal. You could book separate Avios tickets on AA for the connecting flight though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.