Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2014

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 5:40 am

2-4-1 / avios query. I want to fly LHR/LAX/LHR in Feb/Mar '15 using my 241 and avios. CW seats are dissappearing so fast but there are 2 left outbound. Until the clubcard release next week I will not have enough avios for the return.

Query is I can book LHR/LAX using my 241 and avios today but when I call to add a LAS/LHR next week, will the return take note of the 241 and only use 50k avios for 2 or will I have to use 100k which is the normal cost?

Last edited by chynaS; May 1, 2014 at 6:25 am
Old May 1, 2014, 5:54 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by chynaS
2-4-1 / avios query. I want to fly LHR/LAX/LHR in Feb/Mar '15 using my 241 and avios. CW seats are dissappearing so fast but there are 2 left outbound. Until the clubcard release next week I will not have enough avios for the return.

Query is I can book LHR/LAX using my 241 and avios today but when I call to add a LAX/LHR next week, will the return take note of the 241 and only use 50k avios for 2 or will I have to use 100k which is the normal cost?
Yes book the outbound online one way with the voucher, then call to add the return.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:58 am

Fab, thank you eversomuch. I really did not want to miss the last 2 CW. Am so excited now, 1st time in CW.
Old May 1, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by nux
Yes book the outbound online one way with the voucher, then call to add the return.
They'll charge you £50 for the privilege though, won't they?
Old May 1, 2014, 6:21 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by louie-m
They'll charge you £50 for the privilege though, won't they?
Yes there will be a change fee and service charge.
Old May 1, 2014, 6:25 am

I am planning to return from Vegas so would have to call anyway.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:17 am

Quick question: I'm going to surprise the wife in May 2015 with a 10 year anniversary trip to London, flying from either Washington, DC or Baltimore. I'll book WT+ and upgrade to CW using Avios.

My question: Roughly when will May 2015 availability come online? A few days ago it didn't go further than March 2015. I'm going to book immediately most likely so I can secure our CW seats - I know I'll pay more for the original ticket but I see no other option to assure we can get the seats other than booking when availability comes online.

Thanks as always!
Old May 1, 2014, 7:19 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sppunk
My question: Roughly when will May 2015 availability come online? A few days ago it didn't go further than March 2015. I'm going to book immediately most likely so I can secure our CW seats - I know I'll pay more for the original ticket but I see no other option to assure we can get the seats other than booking when availability comes online.
The furthest award seats can be released is 355 days in advance.

However, they may not be released then, and could be released at any point between 355 and the date of flight, or never.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by nux
The furthest award seats can be released is 355 days in advance.

However, they may not be released then, and could be released at any point between 355 and the date of flight, or never.
Thank you kindly. We're pretty flexible for May 2015 so hopefully we can use our points. We won't be paying for those fares with cash, that's for sure! Thanks again.
Old May 2, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm waiting for availability on a flight with these seats showing (from flightstats)

First: 9 (at least) Business: 5 (at least) Coach: 9 (at least) Other: 9 (at least)
Fare Classes: F/9 A/9 C/5 D/0 R/0 I/0 Y/9 B/0 H/0 K/0 M/0 L/0 V/0 S/0 Q/0 G/0 J/9 W/3 E/0 T/0 N/0 O/0

I need just one seat to show up in V class for me to book on rewards. As Y is showing as 9, what are the chances of this happening? I have less than a week before I need to bite the bullet and phone up for a double avios booking.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:13 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
I'm waiting for availability on a flight with these seats showing (from flightstats)

First: 9 (at least) Business: 5 (at least) Coach: 9 (at least) Other: 9 (at least)
Fare Classes: F/9 A/9 C/5 D/0 R/0 I/0 Y/9 B/0 H/0 K/0 M/0 L/0 V/0 S/0 Q/0 G/0 J/9 W/3 E/0 T/0 N/0 O/0

I need just one seat to show up in V class for me to book on rewards. As Y is showing as 9, what are the chances of this happening? I have less than a week before I need to bite the bullet and phone up for a double avios booking.
I think absolutely zero chance unless there are a lot of economy cancellations.

I would say economy is fully sold or even oversold, WT+ similar, a few seats possibly in CW and F quite empty.

BA is willing to sell a full fare Y ticket, and opup as necessary. They're not even offering other flexible B/H economy fares.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nux
I think absolutely zero chance unless there are a lot of economy cancellations.

I would say economy is fully sold or even oversold, WT+ similar, a few seats possibly in CW and F quite empty.

BA is willing to sell a full fare Y ticket, and opup as necessary. They're not even offering other flexible B/H economy fares.
Thanks for your analysis.

I will book with double avios while I can. I already booked the outgoing reward seat, so the return is costing me 37,500 rather than 25,000. Rather take the hit than risk not getting a seat on that flight.
Old May 2, 2014, 7:39 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
I will book with double avios while I can. [...] Rather take the hit than risk not getting a seat
The silver golden lining is that you may well end up in WT+.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:00 pm

LHR to LIM using Avios

Well, thanks to the help from those on FT I have finally got my first CW flight from LHR to MIA by booking CW+ and upgrading with Avios. I’m very excited. Hopefully, I will manage to upgrade coming back too but currently only WT+. Anyway, I would like to go from LHR to LIM next year and I am planning on trying to upgrade with my Avios. However, Iberia don’t do PE so is it possible given that you can only upgrade 1 class? Alternatively, I could go via Miami to maximise the tier points and try and get BA silver perhaps upgrading some legs of the flights. Any advice would be welcome as I’m new to this.
Old May 3, 2014, 7:10 am

I have a question like ChynaS, but I am in the US.

With a 2-4-1, can I book IAD/LHR online at the 355 time and then call to add return LHR/IAD 2 weeks later?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.