Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking Seats on Qantas with Avios---Online?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Settings : Safari : clear cookies and data
Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Got it! Thanks. I'll see if that helps. I also got invited to take a Foresee survey with my last visit to BA.com and reported the problem.

Edit: clearing cookies did not help. Still get the dreaded error message.

Last edited by enzian; Jan 12, 2014 at 3:23 pm Reason: Adding update
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Question for Globaliser and small em: when you have successfully booked QF flights online with Avios, what was your route? Starting in London? That may be the difference. Playing around with the website, I found that the website appears to function normally for LHR to SYD via HKG, using BA for LHR to HKG, and then QF for the leg to SYD. But for the direct flight from LHR to MEL on Qantas ( same date) I again get the error message.

Flight LHR to HKG to SYD on CX appears to be bootable online as well.

The problem is that we are on the US west coast and have neither the time nor the Avios to go around that direction ( via London). That would be making a 36+ hour flight out of what from here is 15 hours.

I tried the call in number just to see what happens and in three tries I got :" we are too busy, call back later (once) and "we are very busy, hold on and wait 30 minutes or more" (twice). How accurate is that 30 minutes?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by enzian
Question for Globaliser and small em: when you have successfully booked QF flights online with Avios, what was your route? Starting in London? That may be the difference.
Most recently, I booked QF SYD-LHR one-way.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Booking reward flights on QF via BAEC using Avios is permanently broken, at least for the flights originating from DXB. I tried on different days / browsers and it is always the same - unable to price out the itinerary.

I gave them a call and the staff helped me to quote the fees and taxes. DXB-LHR in J and LHR-DXB in Y+ resulted in 70k Avios + $1050 fees and taxes, that's insane! When I told the guy on the phone what is the equivalent amount in USD (as he quoted me in difference currency initially), he said "WOW", so even he was surprised. Daylight robbery.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
These are the same surcharges that Emirates adds (not surprisingly given the JV). They make BA look reasonable. I think we paid £650 each London to Dubai on Emirates in business.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
These are the same surcharges that Emirates adds (not surprisingly given the JV). They make BA look reasonable. I think we paid £650 each London to Dubai on Emirates in business.
I have no experience with EK rewards yet, but I flew rewards on SQ Suites, LH J, AY J, QR J and I think it's fair to call BAEC (sur)charges a daylight robbery. Even if we take standard economy (Y) redemption DXB-LHR-DXB which requires 40k Avios + $500, but the same can be bought for $650.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:28 pm

I just called to start with. Got LAX to Brisbane to Auckland, WT, then two months later upgraded to CW, all by phone, no extra charge because I couldnt see it all online. All on qantas.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I booked domestic QF flights online using Avios last year and all went well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.