The Plane in Spain had us Waiting in Vain

Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Seeing the British airways denied compensation for my Four and a half hour delay, without explanation, I wrote this letter to business traveler international Magazine:

As a 1K MillionMiler on United, I've had my share of delays and cancellations. I go with the flow and take life as it comes. But on December 30, our British Airways flight from Granada, Spain to London City airport had a multi hour delay with just about no communication to the passengers.

I first learned of the delay on my mobile device, which indicated a late departure of 15 minutes. But every 15 minutes, the delay was pushed another 15. We arrived at the airport well before scheduled departure (but when the delay was already over two hours). We checked in and waited at the gate an additional three hours. In that time, the only announcement made was that our aircraft had left London City and was on its way.

I figured the delay was caused by weather. But just about all other flights into and out of London City (as well as throughout the UK) were on time that day. So the cause must have been something else.

On the BA website, the commitment states, "British Airways will provide customers at the airport and onboard a delayed aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding the delay, beginning 30 minutes after we become aware of such a delay."

This did not happen. In fact, I became the transmitter of most information to the other passengers, as I was checking my mobile device.

Yes, delays happen. And I understand that British Airways does not cover ground handling at Granada. But my choice in carriers depends on how the airline and its affiliates manage the delay. I hope this was a fluke and not the norm.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Congrats on a great title

What reason was given for refusing your claim and what is the background?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Congrats on a great title

What reason was given for refusing your claim and what is the background?
British Airways gave no reason for the delay. Weather was not an issue that day. They just apologized and wrote that unfortunately they had to deny any compensation.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by zrs70
...Mainly on the Plain in the Rain?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

British Airways gave no reason for the delay. Weather was not an issue that day. They just apologized and wrote that unfortunately they had to deny any compensation.
They have to cite a reason if you issue a formal claim under EU261. The dealy is a fact so they can only deny on the grounds of exceptional circumstances/factors beyond their control which they need to define. Have you submitted a formal EU261 claim?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They have to cite a reason if you issue a formal claim under EU261. The dealy is a fact so they can only deny on the grounds of exceptional circumstances/factors beyond their control which they need to define. Have you submitted a formal EU261 claim?
I didn't mention 261 in my initial letter. But I did in my follow-up. Is that the same as a formal claim?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I didn't mention 261 in my initial letter. But I did in my follow-up. Is that the same as a formal claim?
You do need to specifically ask for EU261, maybe have a look at the forum's main thread to get guidance on how it should be done. Just asking for compensation won't get you far. If the follow up was read and acknowledged then you're ok, if not start from the beginning!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You do need to specifically ask for EU261, maybe have a look at the forum's main thread to get guidance on how it should be done. Just asking for compensation won't get you far. If the follow up was read and acknowledged then you're ok, if not start from the beginning!
Indeed you need to get the EU261 formally acknowledged and if it is denied understand the rationale for the denial so we might advise further.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Indeed you need to get the EU261 formally acknowledged and if it is denied understand the rationale for the denial so we might advise further.
I'll certainly let you know - specifically if they invoke the infamous "extraordinary circumstances" thing.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...our-delay.html
Why start another thread?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Senior moment. Forgot I began that one. The soul of this thread was about my letter - but it morphed to the delay.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm curious to the outcome therefore posting a place holder Good luck!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Given the lengthy response time that some posters here report you've probably done quite well to get a reply within 10 days !
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:07 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
What does "just about" no communication. Was there any? I strongly suspect that this airport may have Iberia staff who could have cared less, or agents who did not care at all.

Dreadful.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What does "just about" no communication. Was there any? I strongly suspect that this airport may have Iberia staff who couldn't have cared less, or agents who did not care at all.

Dreadful.
Fixed it for ya.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.