Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrading long-haul flight using avios and/or cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum

Hi,

Best wishes for this new year to all FT'ers first of all !

I have a quick question for which I can only find partial answer on this forum. I will be travelling with some friends from LAX to LHR on the 388 next march, in WT. I managed to secure emergency exit seats on row 20 for all 3 of us but was wonderning about buying a "last minute upgrade" to WT+, by phoning the gold line a few days before or maybe at the airport.
IF I manage to upgrade using cash to WT+, can I then use some avios to upgrade to CW, considering there is enough availability indeed ? The avios rate for an upgrade from WT+ to CW is 12500 IIRC...
I managed to upgrade my last TATL flight; booked in WT+ to CW using 12500 avios each way, but I initially paid 2800 Euros for the flight... which is not the case here.

Thanks for your help !
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:54 am

If you upgrade to WT+ by paying the (usually high) fare difference then you could indeed UuA to CW if it became available.

If you take advantage of a cheap upgrade either through MMB or at the airport, then you should be put into a class that does not allow UuA, so you can't basically get a cheap CW ticket for a few hundred quid and some Avios.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:05 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If you call the gold line they will only provide a fare difference upgrade which is eligible to upgrade with avios

At the airport you cannot upgrade with avios.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
What WT+ fare classes don't allow upgrades?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
Originally Posted by Cymro
All 'selling' classes do W E & T. P is the redemption bucket.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Cymro
windowontheaisle was referring to the fact that POUG will upgrade you into a fare class that is not further upgradeable (P class).
See for example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ade-avios.html
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Thanks everyone for the answers.
Travelling Ex-ORY (i.e not ex-LHR), I cannot use MMB to get a quote to upgrade my flights. But if I try to "simulate" doing a new booking on BA for my dates of travel with a return in WT+, the price is about 600 Euros more as it books into W so that's a no go... Too bad I am not travelling back a couple of days later, as there is availability in T for ony 200 Euros extra...
Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.